Albums (or Bands) You Are Embarrassed to Admit You Don't Get

dawhizz

It's one of the bands or albums that is considered seminal/influential/objectively great.  You want to love it.  You should love it.  You love albums inspired by it.  You love the genre it is supposed to be crucial to.  It's a band or album that should be right up your alley.  You would settle for liking it.  But you don't get it.  People bring it up and you just kind of nod and feign admiration, hoping no one asks you to comment on specific tracks.  Maybe you even have the album in your collection, and listen every couple years in hopes that something will click.  But it never does.  And so it goes.

Mine:

-London Calling by the Clash (and pretty much everything else by the Clash) - I actually like the song London Calling, but I have almost no interest in anything else I've heard them do.  I try to tell myself it's because I hate reggae. 

-Loveless by My Bloody Valentine - I should think this is beautiful, and I actually like a lot of shoegaze.  But I just think it's boring and hate the vocals.

This is meant to be a safe space. We'll see if it stays that way . . .

It's one of the bands or albums that is considered seminal/influential/objectively great.  You want to love it.  You should love it.  You love albums inspired by it.  You love the genre it is supposed to be crucial to.  It's a band or album that should be right up your alley.  You would settle for liking it.  But you don't get it.  People bring it up and you just kind of nod and feign admiration, hoping no one asks you to comment on specific tracks.  Maybe you even have the album in your collection, and listen every couple years in hopes that something will click.  But it never does.  And so it goes.

Mine:

-London Calling by the Clash (and pretty much everything else by the Clash) - I actually like the song London Calling, but I have almost no interest in anything else I've heard them do.  I try to tell myself it's because I hate reggae. 

-Loveless by My Bloody Valentine - I should think this is beautiful, and I actually like a lot of shoegaze.  But I just think it's boring and hate the vocals.

This is meant to be a safe space. We'll see if it stays that way . . .

I'm in the same boat as you with the Clash.  While I respect their influence and contributions I just can't seem to get into their music.  I feel the same way about Soundgarden.  

The Residents and Captain Beefheart are a couple of artists that a lot of people whose opinions I greatly value (and have pretty similar taste as) put on a pedestal and I just have tried and tried to get into and realized I should be trying this hard.

I kind of feel this way about GY!BE, too.
Saw them live and it took about 20 minutes before I felt like a song was beginning to form... enjoyed what the projectionist was doing far more than the people sitting on stage and I left pretty early since it was a bit of a drive to get home on a week day and I wasn't getting much out of it.
Not embarrassed about any of this, though.

The Beatles.  Everything they did was so gimmicky.  Their music feels more like jingles to me than anything else.

The early Beatles, I can kind of see where you would be coming from with this. Rubber Soul and after, not at all.

and I've said this before but, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

A good majority of the Rolling Stones, some of the Doors. 

Anything by GY!BE and/or Sunn O)))). Just don't get it. I'll try again in a few years.

I don't even try with Sunn O)))).

Oh yeah, and Slayer.

It all really sounds the same, thrashy palm muted chugging and yelling.

I also don't get why Nickelback is still a band.

Nirvana - All of it. I just can't get into it

Same boat as you. I don't think they're terrible or anything, and I appreciate the band, but I've never gotten into it. I own a Kurt Cobain Fender Mustang and my friends and people I jam with think I'm a nirvana fanboy, which is not the case.

Led Zeppelin. Never have never will. Not once have I said, "you know what? I could really go for some Zeppelin right now".

My wife on the other hand looooooves them.

With you on Zepplin. Never cared for them and never really want to listen to them on purpose.

Also the Velvet Underground. Though I sometimes like cover versions of their songs , so maybe it's a Lou Reed thing. Maybe I was just born too late to appreciate their impact on music.

Can't really get into:

GY!BE

Neutral Milk Hotel

Oasis (Except for Champagne Supernova)

At The Drive-In

That said, I respect all those bands, because they must be doing something good to get the kind of reaction they get around here.

I draw the line with VC's worship of "middle-school core". It's like, we get it, being a grown-up sucks. Deal with it.

"I'm gunna staay eiiiighteeen foreverrr!"

With you on Zepplin. Never cared for them and never really want to listen to them on purpose.

Also the Velvet Underground. Though I sometimes like cover versions of their songs , so maybe it's a Lou Reed thing. Maybe I was just born too late to appreciate their impact on music.

I also don't get the Velvet Underground. I can't get into it. Some Zeppelin, I can't, some I can. I work in a record store, you have no idea how many times I get asked how much I listen to Led Zeppelin and stuff like that.

Can't really get into:

GY!BE

Neutral Milk Hotel

Oasis (Except for Champagne Supernova)

At The Drive-In

That said, I respect all those bands, because they must be doing something good to get the kind of reaction they get around here.

I draw the line with VC's worship of "middle-school core". It's like, we get it, being a grown-up sucks. Deal with it.

"I'm gunna staay eiiiighteeen foreverrr!"

Those bands are worshipped outside of these boards. I don't think OP was gunning to insult our users based in their musical preferences.

Glassjaw.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, I just wanted to say that I didn't get this band for the longest time - at which point they "clicked" and I enjoyed their discography for a while - but after a year or two I found myself completely over their sound.  It may have to do with my shying away of the whole post-hardcore genre as a whole, for the most part.  But I, too, don't really get their rabid fanbase.  Their two albums are decent fun, but the newer material doesn't do much for me at all.  The fact people put up with all their bullshit is just really baffling to me.

This probably reads like a post that belongs in the Overrated Band thread, but it is what it is.