Advice me, VC

I am new to collecting. My parents saw me starting to collect and surprised me with a portable Crosley. After spending, oh about, 2 seconds on this forum I asked if they kept the receipt. Now I'm wondering. Looking around. I've got my eye on a Pro-Ject Debut III. Also working on building my room mancave. Buuuut, my main question is

Does anyone/Is it a good idea to, run a good record player out of a home theater/surround sound system? Or would I need designated speakers/amp strictly for enjoying my records? I'd like to be able to game/netflix/enjoy my records from the same speakers, but if it's not a good idea I'm hoping somebody here has the answer 

Also, on a separate note. opinions on Pro-Ject Debut III?

Some very early surround receivers had a phono input but no many. I can't think of any modern ones that do but you can always buy a separate phono pre and run it into the CD input.

Ideally a surround receiver isn't great for hifi but if it's all you've got it will do the job.

Have a read through the don't buy a Crosley thread there are lost of good points in there.

There are plenty of surround sound receivers that have phono inputs, but they are all above entry-level quality/price points/features. General rule of thumb is that if you're not using it for surround sound or want the ability to upgrade to it in the future, they're not worth investing in. Another reason someone might want one is if you want something to process digital or high definition audio from a TV or a Blu Ray player in addition to listening to music.

There are plenty of surround sound receivers that have phono inputs, but they are all above entry-level quality/price points/features. General rule of thumb is that if you're not using it for surround sound or want the ability to upgrade to it in the future, they're not worth investing in. Another reason someone might want one is if you want something to process digital or high definition audio from a TV or a Blu Ray player in addition to listening to music.

I stand corrected. It's very rare to get one with a phono stage built in over here, every days a school day

The house I just purchased had surround sound built in for every room. Not going to lie. I dragged out my old receiver, hooked it up, and love when I can hear my vinyl in every corner of my house and the garage. Especially, when cleaning the floors. 

Should work fine. Is it perfect? Who cares! Listen to that stuff! Also, if you can't return the Crosely, and your folks don't mind. I am sure someone would purchase it on the old craigslist. Sucks for them, but for you! 

To the OP, you didn't specify what kind of HT system you have. If it's a mid-level receiver and a set of solid speakers, it just might be good enough to not annoy you. If it's an all-in-one HT system, you should strongly consider a separate system for your records. Of course, the cost would be substantial.

Nobody responded to the Pro-ject question.  I have one and I'm super happy with it.  I'm not an expert but I believe the general concensus is there is very little/nothing of better quality in that price range.  And coincidentally, I’m running it through a NAD surround sound amp.  It does have a phono jack and works perfectly fine.  I’m planning on an upgrade but it’s been an excellent stop-gap. If you decide to go that way, there is no reason not to game/netflix with the same speakers.

I run my Debut Carbon through a phono preamp to the cd input of my receiver. Unfortunately the space I have doesn't allow me to set up dedicated stereo speakers for my TT. That being said, my home theater set up has seen a lot of money thrown at it. While not ideal, I find it to be a great listening experience. I'm excited for the day I can have a really good quality stereo setup though, it's only upwards from here, really

every AV receiver I have owned has a stereo mode that bypasses all the surround processing BS and just runs the front L/R channels.  

If you have a decent receiver and solid front speakers, you should get acceptable results. 

I was actually looking at my low/mid range Onyko TX-SR608 A/V receiver a few days ago and was suprised to see it had a phono input.