Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

@lebowski

I don't think it's possible to be a perfect vegan, and it's damned hard to even get close.  I also don't think it's fair to judge a person who is trying to be vegan and still wears their old leather dress shoes.

I replaced my dress shoes with a vegan alternative senior year of HS for dances but I still wore a leather belt. The summer of my junior year of college, I bought two more pairs with matching belts to wear to work.  I have been looking for a vegan wallet for a long time, but I haven't found any similar to the current one I have.  If I lose it, I'm obviously going to have to buy a non-leather one.

I guess I see the whole transition as a process, one that can be difficult, and I don't want to condone people who can't afford to try.  I guess my wallet is the most silly thing ever, but I've replaced most of my other stuff.  I haven't replaced my comforter either.  Freshman year of college, I needed to buy cleats, and as jersey dave said, it was for my uniform, required to play, and I wanted to.

I'm also having trouble just answering you in general.  I agree with you in some sense, but at the same time, as you said, comparing ivory to leather is a bit of a stretch. When it comes down to it, I feel strongly that people just need to try to do the best that they can, and that any progress is better than no progress.

@nicole

You said it yourself, but eating the way you do is clearly making you feel miserable, so you need to change something.  I (obviously) don't see how eating meat is going to make you feel great again, but for many reasons.  Unless you are specifically deficient in something that meat is going to give you lots of, like iron and or protein, it won't really make a difference.

If I had to guess, you are deficient in one or more b-vitamins.  B-vitamin deficiency causes fatigue.

I would recommend going to the doctor and getting your blood work done.

I would also recommend going on a juice fast // cleanse, because it will make you feel 10000x better about yourself.

I think, if anything, that you need to try harder to limit eating unhealthy, processed, and prepared foods and start cooking and experimenting more.  Making your own pizza from scratch is 100x healthier than a pizza bought at a typical pizza place.  Try to make it your goal to have say a banana every day for breakfast and an apple every night.  Eat one salad a day, or make sure every meal includes two vegetables.  If youre not taking vitamins, start taking vitamins.  Drinking less alcohol and coffee and or working out more can also make a big difference.

Sorry if my post seems forceful or rude or anything, but reading what you wrote just made me incredibly sad and I feel bad that you feel so awful about yourself.

Please keep us updated and start feeling better about yourself soon!

Not forceful or rude at all. I started taking multi vitamins just before the new year and have also started drinking more water. I don't drink coffee (except iced coffees in the summer) and rarely drink alcohol. I have been eating homemade pizzas and pasta sauces and been making an effort to eat more salads and fruits and stuff. I think a big problem lies within my schedule. I NEVER eat breakfast. I can't remember the last time I did. Probably several years ago. I typically work 1pm-9pm or 2pm-10pm and that really fucks me up. I get up with just enough time to get washed and dressed and eat the fastest shittiest smallest lunch ever. Usually something leftover in the fridge or frozen burritos. Whatever it is, it gets microwaved. Then I go to work and don't eat all day because I only get a half hour break so that would force me to eat another shitty microwaved meal. I then wind up going home and stuffing myself with carbs (usually pasta) at 10:30 at night. I'm probably not in taking enough calories overall but I would be willing to bet that I'm deficient of both protein and iron. It's a catch 22 because when I ate meat, I had way more energy. I use to play sports and go out more and overall lived healthier but I hated myself for eating it. I didn't actually ever enjoy it. Not the taste nor the ethics. But I was healthier overall.

Several months back when I tried to eat that chicken sandwich that was me being very run down and depressed and irritable and craving Swiss chalet chicken though I hated it even when I did eat meat. I took one bite and instantly regretted my decision. This sucks.

It's hard to recommend help when you pretty much admit to doing things you know are not good nutritionally. It's not super complicated -- If you want to be vegan be a good vegan. Eat more, and make sure you are getting more of and the right kinds of protein. You gotta just take control of what you put in your body first and then if you still have energy / nutritional / whatever problems, we can try and help.

Always take a multivitamin with a big meal. It helps with the absorption.

And there is nothing wrong with black coffee. A double frappa whatever loaded with sugar is bad for you. Black (or with a little bit of cream) coffee has a lot of health benefits (low in calories, antioxidants). A caffeine addiction (been there...those headaches fucking suck) is a different story, but a cup or two of coffee throughout the day actually has been shown to be helpful in preventing cancer...

next month will mark 5 years that I've been a vegetarian (except for about 4 months ago when i had a meltdown and ate 1 bite of a chicken sandwich and immediately burst into tears.)  anyways, i went cold turkey- no meat, no poultry, no fish or seafood, no wearing anything from an animal and no using any products tested on animals.  I got into it for all the right reasons but have always been a notoriously picky eater and i can tell for sure that my body is taking a toll at this point.  within the last year i've started craving meat items that i never even liked to begin with.  I'm constantly tired and cant remember the last time i didn't have bags under my eyes.  i'm quite pale most of the time.  it's not that eating a healthy balanced veg diet isn't possible, but with how fussy i am, i miss out on many of the healthy veg items.  for example, i hate chickpeas, lentils, eggs, and most nuts.  my diet consists mostly of pasta and pizza and mexican fast food.  i'm sure i'm lacking several things in my body but havent had blood work done since i was 14 so who really knows.  

to be honest, i think i've lost all desire to be a vegetarian.  while i still love animals, i no longer feel the way i did probably because i'm imbalanced and tired and miserable and its a vicious cycle.  but after 5 years, it just seems weird and unnatural for me to try to eat meat.  i'm in a fucked up situation.

Check out your local Whole Foods they have a very wide range of vegan/vegetarian products to choose from. Milk and Cheese help with a lot of protein don't forget your fruits either, If you don't like nuts try Granola bars, or Trail Mix bars on for size, If you're still having trouble with vitamins try Flintstones vitamins (They help a lot I take them). Don't forget to switch out pop for juice for another source of vitamins. Some relatively available foods for I enjoy are Amy's TV dinners  and Bocca patties  you also don't have to cut out a lot of resraunts, just ask for no meat, patty on the side, or a veggie patty (Burger King). Find yourself a vegan or Vegetarian cook book (College vegan's is a good one: Amazon LINK )

^ probably better to just drink water. Lots of it.

When I was in high school I probably averaged a 2 - liter of pop a day. I was always a bigger guy but I was in good shape. Shit doesn't fly when you hit your 20s and beyond. Yeah, you get some vitamins. The amount of sugar in most juices is going to be a bigger negative than any positives from vitamins they might contain.

A multivitamin with a big meal is all you need. It should solve all vitamin problems. Most of us (in the 1st world) get way more than what we need anyways if you just eat different whole foods.The multi is there to just catch what you may miss.

Bigger concerns (for me) on a veg diet would be getting the right kinds of protein (as varied of sources as possible would be good) and the side effects of eating a ton of soy:

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I hope its OK that I bump this thread.  I have some questions.

As some of you may know, I have an underactive thyroid condition that I was diagnosed with in September of last year.  I've been pretty much struggling ever since.  I've been trying my best with keeping what I call "bad thyroid" foods out of my diet, but I was talking with a friend of mine who had questions about my condition and talking with him made me think that switching to a Vegan lifestyle may help me.

Here's where it's hard, though.  These are the foods that are bad for thyroid:

- broccoli

- brussel sprouts

- cabbage

- cassava root

- cauliflower

- lima beans

- corn

- millet

- mustard

- peanuts

- pine nuts

- sweet potatoes

- turnips

- red meat ("limit consumption")

- eggs (see above)

- kale

- peaches

- pears

- rutabaga

- spinach

- strawberries

- soy / soybeans

In addition to that depressing list, I am told to avoid gluten as well and I've cut out most dairy because I've found that it makes me feel similar as to when I eat the aforementioned foods.

So.. is vegan a logical option for me?  From what I understand the soy can be substituted by beans and chickpeas, but I'm just at a loss.  I need more of a change than what I've done so far since I medically can't exercise right now due to heart issues I'm experiencing from my thyroid medication.  So with that, I've also had to cut out all caffeine (chocolate & alcohol included).

Help? Please?

I'd say don't eat those foods then. Do you think you'll eat healthier if you tell everyone you're a vegan because it will force you to do it? I'd say it's possible to do it because there are so many other plant based milks and milk products now. I think most of the "meats" still have soy though.

I don't eat those foods... that's what I'm saying, I've already cut out the "bad thyroid" foods, but I feel like I need to do more.  Especially since I have the gluten thing, too.  I've already switched from dairy milk to almond milk.  The soy thing is a big concern for me, but I don't eat much meat as it is so I'm thinking I could live on beans as a replacement since I've started doing that already.  I'm just thinking for when I want to have something that substitutes meat, like if my boyfriend is making chicken for dinner (I'm not about to make him eat the same diet as me), I would like to be able to have something similar so we can share a meal together.

It really just looks like you would have to substitute this veggie with that veggie.

Is there a particular reason why you want/need to cut out meat (besides red)? There are alternatives such as beans that could fill that empty void on the plate, but it will be difficult to get the fake meat without soy or gluten (seitan). and beans get real old after awhile. At least to me.

I do way too much pizza pasta and mexican food, so I'm a terrible person to be giving any advice.

Girl, so sorry that you have to go through that!  I think what you might want to do (which i'm sure you've already been there done that) is to consult your doctor or a dietician about what kind of diet you can maintain or try to find some sort of thyroid support group that may be able to give you more options.

I've been transitioning into a more plant based/whole foods diet and meat substitutes are actually really good but yeah mostly soy.  I'm not really sure how those foods affect you but perhaps your doctor give you more insight on how much of a food you can have?

But looks like in addition to beans you can eat all the rice, polenta, and quinoa to your heart's content.

I obviously can't give you personal, specific advice via an Internet forum, but there is no reason to cut out meat if you are diagnosed hypothyroid. Where did you get the idea for cutting out meat, gluten, dairy? Feel free to PM me if you want I can give you my general opinions as a dietitian.

It really just looks like you would have to substitute this veggie with that veggie.

Is there a particular reason why you want/need to cut out meat (besides red)? There are alternatives such as beans that could fill that empty void on the plate, but it will be difficult to get the fake meat without soy or gluten (seitan). and beans get real old after awhile. At least to me.

I do way too much pizza pasta and mexican food, so I'm a terrible person to be giving any advice.

It's not that I need to cut out chicken/fish/etc, it's just that I find myself not eating much of it.  I've never been a big on meat in general, which is why I thought about the vegan lifestyle.  As you know there are articles and people out there who say they've never felt better after switching to that type of lifestyle and that interests me.  I want to feel better as much as possible since this disease makes me feel pretty terrible no matter what.

Girl, so sorry that you have to go through that!  I think what you might want to do (which i'm sure you've already been there done that) is to consult your doctor or a dietician about what kind of diet you can maintain or try to find some sort of thyroid support group that may be able to give you more options.

I've been transitioning into a more plant based/whole foods diet and meat substitutes are actually really good but yeah mostly soy.  I'm not really sure how those foods affect you but perhaps your doctor give you more insight on how much of a food you can have?

But looks like in addition to beans you can eat all the rice, polenta, and quinoa to your heart's content.

All that I have learned about what is good/bad when it comes to my condition is through support sites and blogs of people who have thyroid disease.  I have learned that doctors don't pay enough attention to what can help or not help the thyroid outside of synthetic medication, so I feel a little left out in the cold by my doctors thus far.  With that said, I have thought about seeking out a nutritionist about this whole thing, but I've done it in the past because I do have (genetic) high cholesterol and when I sat down with the doctor and she learned about my eating habits, she really didn't have any advice for me since I'm not big on cholesterol-heavy foods to begin with.

I saw on a blog that some recipes can substitute chickpea flour for tofu?  This is all foreign to me, haha.

Thanks so much for the replies.

I obviously can't give you personal, specific advice via an Internet forum, but there is no reason to cut out meat if you are diagnosed hypothyroid. Where did you get the idea for cutting out meat, gluten, dairy? Feel free to PM me if you want I can give you my general opinions as a dietitian.

The meat/gluten/dairy is not related to the hypo (as stated above).

Before I was diagnosed with hypo, I had really bad stomach cramping issues and I was able to narrow it down to a gluten sensitivity so ever since I've been trying to eat less and less of it.

Bottom line is I feel like crap every single day and I'm trying to better myself by way in many ways, including my diet.  My question here about a vegan lifestyle is whether it is doable with having the issue with soy.

My question here about a vegan lifestyle is whether it is doable with having the issue with soy.

Vegan without soy is totally doable.

Most of my soy-allergy vegan friends are raw vegans. But seeing as how you'd have to avoid a number of the items you listed above... that could be a challenge too. 

It's totally possible though... the question is how far out of your way do you want to go every meal?

Vegan without soy is totally doable.

Most of my soy-allergy vegan friends are raw vegans. But seeing as how you'd have to avoid a number of the items you listed above... that could be a challenge too. 

It's totally possible though... the question is how far out of your way do you want to go every meal?

I had to google raw vegan just to be sure it was what it sounded like it was, haha.  Yeah having all those roadblocks with veggies and fruits is really getting to me.  I love spinach and broccoli so much, lol.  But like deafening said, I'll have to do what I've been doing which is substituting this veg with that veg.

As for how far I would go for every meal... at this point I would do pretty much anything.  The only thing I have control over at this point is what I eat so I want to make a real conscious effort to make healthy decisions.  So I would totally spend a little more at the store, spend more time learning recipes, and less time at restaurants.