Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

I make my own using some protein powder I buy in the bulk section at my grocery store.  I use almond milk, strawberries, banana and peanut butter.  I also put in some AllOne rice based multivitamin powder.  The texture from the powders are still a little noticeable, but it tastes good.  Biggest problem I have is getting bored drinking the same thing every day, so I try and switch up the fruits periodically.

i'm going to have to try this! thanks jon.

and now clearly these black bean brownies

i'm going to have to try this! thanks jon.

and now clearly these black bean brownies

Hope that works for you!  I just tried Silk Almond Milk w/ Protein and Fiber a few weeks ago and that's what I've been using in my smoothies.  It's a little thicker than normal almond milk and is perfect for smoothies.  I've cooked oatmeal with it too, but I don't know if I'd use it for my general cooking purposes.

I'm going to buy a box of brownies tomorrow and give them a try this week.

I've been a veg since I saw a PBS documentary after watching Power Rangers when I was 6 :P

Ever since I went on spring break when I was 17-18 I've been eating the same foods for the most part....

Hummus, Veggie Medley Patty or Spicy Chik'n Patty, and whole grain wraps. Occasionally I will make vegan tacos and stuff like that.....but the only thing I'm useful for vegan wise is making banana walnut cakes and other sweets. But when I eat out and stuff I tend to favor Indian places with tabuli and babaghanoush. Also Eggplant parm and pasta when I feel like being a fatty :P

I do stay vegan for the most part during the NFL offseason.....but when football is back on I get a Large Pineapple Pizza every week or I get a veggie burger at Bdubs :P

that sounds awful and i'm so going to try it!

I feel exactly the same!

It does sound awful, but they're not actually that bad. You can't even smell or taste the beans at all. Trust me, I felt the exact same way when I first heard about them.

i've been making brownies like that for a while. you can also use the technique when making cakes and stuff. but for brownies... the box i;ve found it works best with is the ghirardelli double chocolate. 

ughh why did you post this.  i already do graze, but this looks just as awesome

i think i'm gonna do this instead of graze. graze was pretty cool, but i already started getting a lot of stuff over and over again and i didn't like that i couldn't buy bigger quantities of stuff i really liked. 

here are some reviews of boxes people have received:

http://www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/category/vegan-cuts-snack-box-reviews

thinking about ordering this and getting it delivered to my work. god knows i spend close to $20 on the vending machine every month on the only two items i can eat.

http://vegancuts.com/snackbox

That looks WAY better than Graze.  Graze was ok, but I lost interest after a few months.  Report back with what you get!

I have this in the slow cooker right now : http://www.thefreshexchangeblog.com/2012/12/just-5-vegetarian-chili/

I added some jalapeños and a habanero and doubled the cayenne.  Going to let it go for 10 hours, should turn out really well.

i'm trying to spice up my chili recipes a bit - very interesting about using the beer.  I've also heard to put cocoa powder in chili.

I'll let you know how it turns out.  I love spicy food, so I add peppers or cayenne to almost everything I make.  I've seen plenty of chili recipes with beer and cocoa powder in it, but this is the first time trying it.

Chili is one of the easiest foods to make vegan, because all you do is omit meat and cheese/sour cream. I made some with quinoa for extra protein and it bangs. The high price of quinoa held me off for a while but a pound of it was good for two pots of soup and the pot of chili.

i made vegan chili w/ boca crumbles. salivating just thinking about it.

I'm currently making my special top ramen.

I take a top ramen pack, or two, and I heat up some water and let the noodles cook. I then drain out the water. (Do not put in dry sauce)

I take some vegetable oil and mix it into the cooked noodles, then the sauce packet. 

Meanwhile, I sautee onions in sugar, soy sauce, and butter.

I combine those two, 

Then I fry an egg over the top. Yum!

also @ chili - my recipe the most recent time, which was the best yet:

sauteed two small onions and peppers in canola oil ( don't fry with olive oil its bad ) in the big pot till everything smelled good, then i threw in the garlic, washed off beans (i had kidney and pinto, wash so you dont fart all night ), and two cans of spicy black beans from whole foods and diced tomato and then I let it cook.  I added seasoning pretty early and constantly till I found the taste I wanted.

Right near the end I threw pineapple on the stove top to sear it a little and threw that in to get the best chili i've made yet!  topped with buffalo sauce and daiya cheddar

MV6769.JPG

Made this tonight. Banging.  Gnocchi, kale, white beans, and diced tomatoes with garlic, pepper, and yes, mozzarella.

Modified this recipe: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html

Grrrrl, you make me want pasta! lol