Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

Made this last night......if you like Fried Okra but have to watch your fried food intake, this recipe delivered

We added a few pinches of ceyenne into the corn meal dredge and a few splashes of hot sauce into the egg wash....but we thoroughly enjoy spicey foods

http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/oven-fried-okra-10000001197165/

I thought I might as well ask this here. Does anyone have recommendations for a good substitute for white rice? Basmati has become such a big staple in my diet, but I'm trying to find a replacement to aid in losing weight.

I have tried brown rice, but either I suck at cooking it, or it's just not very good. It always has an unusual texture that I can't enjoy.

I wish I remembered where i bought mine.  I have black and brown with matching belt.  I don't really like them but I think thats just cause I hate wearing dress shoes.

Haha, only reason I'm buying some is because I'm in a wedding.  I'll check the normal vegan shoe sites, I'm sure I'll find something.  I should probably get a better belt too...

just got done updating myself on this thread, hard to believe i haven't posted on here in 8-9 months!! thought i'd check in...still going strong on being vegan (over 3 years now! woohoo!).

i haven't been very creative in the last year with new recipes and whatnot, but it was due to actually being involved in college (i'm a co-chair of an environmental group on campus) and i just moved into a new house this month! however, i have fallen totally in love with falafel! so if anyone has good recipes for that i'll try them out. the other thing i've started making is lentil soup and i found a recipe on this thread i'll have to try...i want to try the black bean burgers too!

glad to see how many people this thread has influenced and i hope it keeps going.

also (random), jacobraccula, burger king's fries are vegan! and really good, so you can eat fast food fries w/o feeling guilty (sort of lol).

Hahaha. Those $1.39 fries are really taxing.

I don't know if that science cheese will ever make it to market but I sure am curious. I don't think there is a vegan cheese that even comes close. Hell, I don't even think there is one that doesn't taste terrible. Maybe the faux Cream Cheese. 

I love daiya cheese. At least the cheddar, mozz, and pepper jack. Tastes best melted and in moderation. All other vegan cheese I've had is awful. Tofutti makes great cream cheese and sour cream though.

im still hesitant to fully subscribe to vegan cheese, even though i always have daiya in stock. but i can also attest to tofutti's delicious cream cheese and sour cream.

I love daiya cheese. At least the cheddar, mozz, and pepper jack. Tastes best melted and in moderation. All other vegan cheese I've had is awful. Tofutti makes great cream cheese and sour cream though.

I think daiya is good. It works for pizza and things where there really isn't another cheese sub. Tofutti cream cheese is fantastic.

First time seeing this thread,

I've been a vegetarian about 9 years, one of my favorite dishes that is super easy (and vegan) is ;

-2-3 avocados

-garlic (use own discretion, I use 1 piece)

-basil(5-6 leafs)

-tsp olive oil

-tsp water

-tsp lemon juice

-black pepper

Add all those in a food processor until creamy and then add to your favorite noodles, takes 10 minutes and is delicious. Only downside is you can save it because of the avocados.

Tried this the other day, turned out pretty good. Added a bit of cayenne for spice. Thanks for posting! 

Get a rice maker! Finally got one and it's awesome. Trying to eat more brown rice around here.

I thought I was an idiot and just couldn't make rice right, I tried several times and always fucked it up. Now I just put it in the rice maker and leave it for an hour, perfect rice every time.