Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

I have and kind of burned myself out on them!  Thanks for the suggestion though!  Chia seed pudding has been my go to lately.  Mix it up the night before in a mason jar, throw some toppings onto it in the morning and that's it.

I've made sloppy Joe's with TVP quite a few times, works really well.  I'm from a town of about 10,000 people and I struggle to find places to eat whenever I go back home.  The city is barely vegetarian friendly.  That's my biggest problem with going back.

The struggle is real! Any chance you've been able to find jackfruit? Think a video has been going around the internet lately about making "bbq pulled jackfruit" sandwiches, and could see that translating well for sloppy joe's as well.

I can barely find a kumquat, so I'm dead in the water on that recipe, but was definitely curious.

Breakfast/lunch option: Sliced apple sandwiches with nut butter + seeds/nuts/dried fruit is another quick thing to make at night and take along the next day for breakfast, and is really filling

The struggle is real! Any chance you've been able to find jackfruit? Think a video has been going around the internet lately about making "bbq pulled jackfruit" sandwiches, and could see that translating well for sloppy joe's as well.

I can barely find a kumquat, so I'm dead in the water on that recipe, but was definitely curious.

Breakfast/lunch option: Sliced apple sandwiches with nut butter + seeds/nuts/dried fruit is another quick thing to make at night and take along the next day for breakfast, and is really filling

Jackfruit has been on my shopping list, but I haven't looked to aggressively for it.  The grocery store closest to my house doesn't have it, but I haven't checked any others.  It's available on Amazon for ~$6 a can.  I might just order some if I can't find it locally, I just assume it'll be less expensive in a store.

I've never seen a fresh one in the grocery, usually canned is what you get. You can find it at the Asian market a lot of time. Sometimes at the "natural" grocery stores.

Sometime it comes it syrup like peaches or whatever. Don't get that.

I'll have to look for it in Chicago this weekend! Thanks for the tips

I'll have to look for it in Chicago this weekend! Thanks for the tips

I've never seen it canned, only fresh.

If you're in Chicago, go to (or call) Mariano's. When I worked for them years ago, they would sell it by the chunk. It is an absolutely beautiful fruit. I still can't believe how large they can get.

Also, Upton's packaged seitan sells two types of seasoned jackfruit (I believe one is chili lime car it as, the other is BBQ) and that can be found at whole foods or at their break room (little restaurant).

Hope this helps

I've never seen it canned, only fresh.

If you're in Chicago, go to (or call) Mariano's. When I worked for them years ago, they would sell it by the chunk. It is an absolutely beautiful fruit. I still can't believe how large they can get.

Also, Upton's packaged seitan sells two types of seasoned jackfruit (I believe one is chili lime car it as, the other is BBQ) and that can be found at whole foods or at their break room (little restaurant).

Hope this helps

Thanks for this tips! Would like to attempt to find some fresh, as I'm really curious about it in it's natural format, but Upton's does good work so will have to look into that in the future :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Going to bay area this week. Who's got recommendations for all snacks and meals around there?

Haha, I'm going to be there this weekend.  I haven't had a ton of time to look at places to eat, but Shizen Vegan Sushi was recommended to me.  I also want to check out a Loving Hut there.  I try to visit one at every city I go to.

http://sfist.com/2014/07/23/the_10_best_vegan_restaurants_in_th.phpis about as far as I've gotten with my google research.  Hoping to find a good vegan pizza place while I'm down there.

Haha, I'm going to be there this weekend.  I haven't had a ton of time to look at places to eat, but Shizen Vegan Sushi was recommended to me.  I also want to check out a Loving Hut there.  I try to visit one at every city I go to.

http://sfist.com/2014/07/23/the_10_best_vegan_restaurants_in_th.phpis about as far as I've gotten with my google research.  Hoping to find a good vegan pizza place while I'm down there.

Damn, this reminds me. I should probably start planning where to eat for the 4 days I'm down there.

Not a native but ate at most of the places on that list when I was there. Millennium really did live up to the hype for us. Gracias Madre was also really solid. My wife liked Cinnaholic too, I was drinking beer during that desert excursion. 

I don't fuck with vegan pizza so I can't help on that one. 

Damn, this reminds me. I should probably start planning where to eat for the 4 days I'm down there.

You're going for the Neurosis show too right?  PM me if you want to grab a beer.

Not a native but ate at most of the places on that list when I was there. Millennium really did live up to the hype for us. Gracias Madre was also really solid. My wife liked Cinnaholic too, I was drinking beer during that desert excursion. 

I'll make those two higher priority.  I'll probably checkout Cinnaholic if I'm nearby too.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I knew earlier in my life to use corn flour with tofu.  Coating 1/4th inch slices of tofu into corn flour, and pan frying each side till golden crispy makes really good tofu!  it tastes the best if you dip in a sauce.  I took just mayo and mixed with a garlic seasoning and the smoked tobasco from chipotle and was so happy.

I also made pickles with cucumbers from my garden and they are top notch!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bummed to see this thread has been inactive so long. Well I’m still vegan, nearly 8 years on now.

Minimalist Baker is still one of my go to sites for new recipes. One I’ve made recently from there is the Hide Your Kale Smoothie

I also got this awesome book for Xmas called How It All Vegan. It’s like the OG vegan cooking book before all of the (awesome and convenient) subs we have now. Crazy how much there is out there to learn about veganism, and how much good vegan food there is to make.