Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

Daiya is good.  I want to try Teese, but I haven't seen it here.  I want to say my vegan pizza place uses it, but I'm not completely sure.  The biggest downside of vegan cheese is that it's so damn expensive.

I went to a day fest in Los Angeles called Growing Up Is Dumb by Lauren Records (Great label btw) and they had the local vegan pizza place come and sell, daiya on pizza was soooooooo good. Much better than normal pizza. 

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone I really appreciate it!

Daiya is good.  I want to try Teese, but I haven't seen it here.  I want to say my vegan pizza place uses it, but I'm not completely sure.  The biggest downside of vegan cheese is that it's so damn expensive.

I've only had the chedder teese.  It tastes gross by itself  ( like out of packet ) but if you heat it and melt it, it is amazing.

When i made my buffalo mac n cheese, i combined half a bag of daiya cheddar, two table spoons of earth balance, the cheddar teese, and a whole thing of ?tofutti? sour cream and stirred in a pot on medium low for about an hour.  ( doesn't take that long i was just preoccupied so I had on a low temperature.  It was absolutely amazing.

Has anyone made the Gingery Rutebega & Brussels stew from PPK. Holy hell is it good. 

I used Earth Balance instead of coconut oil and jalapeños instead of red pepper flakes but the seasoning as is was solid. 

http://www.theppk.com/2013/12/gingery-coconut-stew-with-brussels-rutabaga/

Has anyone made the Gingery Rutebega & Brussels stew from PPK. Holy hell is it good. 

I used Earth Balance instead of coconut oil and jalapeños instead of red pepper flakes but the seasoning as is was solid. 

http://www.theppk.com/2013/12/gingery-coconut-stew-with-brussels-rutabaga/

I love The Post Punk Kitchen.  I think I use at least one of her recipes every week.  I'll have to try that stew, it sounds good.

It is solid. Make it, but use a little more coconut milk than suggest to get the stew thing going. I found the directions as followed weren't quite stew-y enough over rice. I probably made it a little more like a curry consistency. 

I also made a moroccan cous cous "stew" this week that was pretty easy and damn tasty. I'm sure you can find something similar but I can post the recipe if you like. 

I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but one of my favorite things to make for myself is something I like to call "Broke College Student Brownies." They're a lot denser than regular brownies, not unlike the consistency of those Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies (only a bit chewier), but I like them a lot. They're full of protein and fiber, the ingredients are hella cheap, and they're surprisingly not terrible.

What you need:

1 box of any kind of brownie mix. Just make sure it's for 9" x 13" baking pans.

1 standard-sized can (15oz/425g) of black beans.

(That's it. That's all you need.)

What you do:

Preheat the oven according to the instructions on the brownie mix box. Drain the black beans and refill the can all the way up to the top with water. Pour the beans into a blender or food processor and purée them so that there aren't any chunks. Mix the puréed beans together with the brownie mix in a large bowl. Pour the mix into a 9" x 13" pan (coat it with a little bit of oil so they don't stick) and bake for however long the box says to bake. Then, let 'em cool and cut 'em up! Simple as that.

Moroccan-ish recipe below from a book we had around here. In spoiler tags to not make the post super long. 

2 cups vegetable on no-chicken broth. 

1 box cous cous

Large onion 

However many cloves of garlic you like

Jalapeño (one is probably enough)

Somewhere between a teaspoon and tablespoon of grated ginger

Can of Chickpeas

Can of diced tomatoes (regular or fire-roasted is fine, just don't get the garlic and basil kind)

1/2 cup of golden raisins 

1/2 cup slivered almonds

Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon at kind of a 2:2:1 ratio. Start with a teaspoon and work up I guess. I use a generous amount of the first two but not much cinnamon. 

So basically get your onion going in oil, earth balance or butter. Let that simmer for a bit then get your garlic,  jalapeño and ginger in there. If you want to put in other stuff like green onions, leeks, or other aromatic stuff go nuts. Add whatever you want. Harissa would be alright. Maybe a little turmeric. Saffron or paprika maybe. Anything from that flavor profile.

Soften that up a bit. 

Once that is all smelling good and soft looking get your chickpeas, tomatoes, raisins and any other ingredients in the skillet.  Potatoes, I don't care. I always add peas, but that is me. 

Here is where you might want to add a cup or two of broth. Add until you get a touch more watery than you want so you can lit it simmer down to the consistency you are looking for. Let her simmer for a while and check the flavor. Also, add your salt here and top off the spices as well. If you didn't get enough cumin or flavor you like the first go around, punch it up now.

Let that simmer to desired stewy, thickness. If you want a more tomato-y version you can double the tomates and add less brother. You could use water in a pinch but you'll want to salt liberally or get a bland-ass stew. Get your cous cous cooking 

When it is finished I hit it with a little spicy olive oil floater and then spoon it over the cous cous. Garnish with some green onions and some slivered almonds. I toast them first but totally optional. If you do dairy a little yogurt and parsley mix would be solid as well. 

Have fun with it. If you alter it a bunch give me the recipe!

Moroccan-ish recipe below from a book we had around here. In spoiler tags to not make the post super long. 

2 cups vegetable on no-chicken broth. 

1 box cous cous

Large onion 

However many cloves of garlic you like

Jalapeño (one is probably enough)

Somewhere between a teaspoon and tablespoon of grated ginger

Can of Chickpeas

Can of diced tomatoes (regular or fire-roasted is fine, just don't get the garlic and basil kind)

1/2 cup of golden raisins 

1/2 cup slivered almonds

Cumin, Coriander, Cinnamon at kind of a 2:2:1 ratio. Start with a teaspoon and work up I guess. I use a generous amount of the first two but not much cinnamon. 

So basically get your onion going in oil, earth balance or butter. Let that simmer for a bit then get your garlic,  jalapeño and ginger in there. If you want to put in other stuff like green onions, leeks, or other aromatic stuff go nuts. Add whatever you want. Harissa would be alright. Maybe a little turmeric. Saffron or paprika maybe. Anything from that flavor profile.

Soften that up a bit. 

Once that is all smelling good and soft looking get your chickpeas, tomatoes, raisins and any other ingredients in the skillet.  Potatoes, I don't care. I always add peas, but that is me. 

Here is where you might want to add a cup or two of broth. Add until you get a touch more watery than you want so you can lit it simmer down to the consistency you are looking for. Let her simmer for a while and check the flavor. Also, add your salt here and top off the spices as well. If you didn't get enough cumin or flavor you like the first go around, punch it up now.

Let that simmer to desired stewy, thickness. If you want a more tomato-y version you can double the tomates and add less brother. You could use water in a pinch but you'll want to salt liberally or get a bland-ass stew. Get your cous cous cooking 

When it is finished I hit it with a little spicy olive oil floater and then spoon it over the cous cous. Garnish with some green onions and some slivered almonds. I toast them first but totally optional. If you do dairy a little yogurt and parsley mix would be solid as well. 

Have fun with it. If you alter it a bunch give me the recipe!

Awesome, thanks!  That looks pretty simple too.  I'll make that in the next couple weeks and report back.

has anyone tried a protein shake that doesnt taste like shit?

I make my own using some protein powder I buy in the bulk section at my grocery store.  I use almond milk, strawberries, banana and peanut butter.  I also put in some AllOne rice based multivitamin powder.  The texture from the powders are still a little noticeable, but it tastes good.  Biggest problem I have is getting bored drinking the same thing every day, so I try and switch up the fruits periodically.

i'm not a full-on vegetarian or vegan, but i got really into going meatless after my mom went veg and have tried to really cut back on my animal product intake the past few years. my recent obsession is smoothies. they're delicious, cheap, and require little effort. plus, super easy to sneak extra healthy stuff into, like protein powder or veggies. i usually dump about 2/3 cup of frozen kale or spinach into mine without it affecting the flavor at all. 

i got a copy of the healthy hedonist a while back and it has a bunch of great "flexatarian" recipes in it, but my favorite so far is the tamarind chickpeas. i usually have it over some fresh spinach or rice. the ingredients can be a bit of a pain to track down, but totally worth it.

here's the recipe:

Tamarind Chickpeas