Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

this is dinner for tomorrow:

cuban-style black beans and Rice (and chicken)

1 1/2 cups black beans (dry)

28 oz of vegetable broth

1 cup Onion chopped

2 Jalapeno peppers, chopped (i'll probably go with 3 or 4 since we like it hot)

4 cloves Garlic minced

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons lime peel shredded

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

rinse beans, put in large sauce pan with 4 cups of water, bring to boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.  remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.  drain and rinse beans

place beans in slow cooker, add broth, onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin, lime peel, salt and black pepper.  cover, cook on low heat setting for 10 hours, mash beans slightly.

i might dice up some chicken and toss it in the slow cooker, but I might pass on that and toss in some chickpeas or soy beans.  either way, its gunna be the shiiiiiiiiiiiit.  gunna cook up a huge pot of rice to go with it.

I made the mostly gf vegan mexican lasagna / casserole thingy last night.  it ended up tasting like 5 layer dip, it is amazing and i already regret eating it because i've been in the bathroom way too much.

I have:

light?life/smartlife ground beef

taco seasoning packet from whole foods ( some fancy brand )

onion

garlic

canned corn + peppers

canned spicy black beans

fire roasted tomatos

corn tortillas

avocado

daiya cheddar cheese ( shredded )

daiya jack cheese ( block )

tofutti? sour cream

earth balance

-sauteed the onion and garlic, then added the corn/peppers

-cooked the ground beef in the taco seasoning ( this was actually the best thing ever )

-melted earth balance and the sour cream and the daiya jack cheese and heated for like 30+ minutes on the stove top to make a thick and creamy cheese sauce.

Then I literally just stacked everything in a casserole dish.

tomatoes on bottom, then tortillas, more tomatos, onion/corn mixture, beef, cheesy sauce, avocado slices, seasoning, daiya cheddar cheese, beans, and then another layer of this, and then topped with tortillas and cheese.

it came out a bit soupy ( i think next time i'm going to either bake longer or drain the tomatoes) AND its absolutely amazing.

POYIEWDl.jpg

Trader Joe's has red and yellow curry sauces, and while they are not vegan they are really good. Make some of that with chickpeas or tofu, tomatoes, onions, peppers, peas, and potatoes and you're good to go.

I make a lot of stir fry and soup using whatever veggies I have on hand. If you freeze your veggie scraps (ends of carrots, onion skins, pepper cores, etc) you can make vegetable broth with them which you can use to make soup or rice so much better. I made the Allrecipes lentil soup with that broth, swapped the normal vinegar for red wine vinegar, and added a potato and it was the best lentil soup I've ever had (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-soup/)

An easy way to boost your veggies is to cook spinach into pasta sauce. Add some soy chorizo to that and try not to eat it all in one sitting.

The Oriental (blue) flavor of ramen is vegan. Don't assume anything at any fast food place (even Subway, their veggie patties have egg and milk in them) is vegan if you're serious about being vegan.

Some of the breads at Subway are vegan, so you can construct a vegan sandwich if you want.  At one point they were trying out vegan sandwiches at a handful of locations, but that was a few years ago and must not have done well.

But your spot on with your point.  A good portion of the veggie burgers that you see at restaurants (and at stores) aren't vegan.  You definitely can't just assume they are.

i bought myself a food processor for christmas and have been enjoying it. i'll post some recipes soon. invented a spicy black bean soup that puts panera's to shame. 

I got a food processor for Christmas a few years ago, I love it.  A food processor or a good blender is a necessity for me.

Maybe this would be better suited to the beer thread, but do any other vegetarians or vegans here that drink use barnivore.com to check if your alcohol is vegetarian or vegan? There's also a couple of smartphone apps that do the same thing. If anyone here has never heard about alcohols not being veggie/vegan friendly, that website is the place to start. 

Maybe this would be better suited to the beer thread, but do any other vegetarians or vegans here that drink use barnivore.com to check if your alcohol is vegetarian or vegan? There's also a couple of smartphone apps that do the same thing. If anyone here has never heard about alcohols not being veggie/vegan friendly, that website is the place to start. 

I use it periodically, it's really useful.  It's a shame that so much European beer isn't vegan.  That's the one thing I feel like I'm missing out on.