Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

I just saw this recipe for vegan pizza scrolls on Tumblr. The photos look fantastic, so this might be worth trying, provided you have the patience to make your own dough and whatnot.

found this while checking those out!

http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

found this while checking those out!

http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

I haven't cross checked the list to see if they're different at all, but they have one on PETA kids too : http://www.petakids.com/accvegan.asp That list is really handy.

I made black bean brownies a few days ago and they're in fact awesome.  I would never guess that black beans were in them.  On a slightly sadder note, I've eaten way too many brownies over the past 3 days.

I also made this : http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/18/curried-lentil-soup/ I added some potatoes and it turned out really well.  Real easy to make too.  If you're looking for something quick, cheap and hearty I'd recommend it.  I think I'm going to add a little cayenne to it next time for a little kick.

• 2 weeks later...

so I have been vegan for almost a year now (no meat, cheese, eggs etc.) but I am really wanting to start veganizing my products like laundry soap, body wash and stuff like that. 

I am still relatively poor so I can't really afford to buy the homemade stuff online and I am having a really hard time finding any information on what stuff like that I can buy at the store that is vegan

I guess my question is to the VC Vegans...what kinds of products do you guys use, where do you buy them and are there any other products I should consider/use to live a more cruelty free life?

I know this is a thread for food and whatnot, but I didn't feel like I should make another thread for it....

at first I thought you were defining vegan for us, but now I see.

I don't use shampoo or conditioner ( to anyone grossed out by this, my hair is beautiful and has been for the past 2 years since I stopped ), and the body wash I use I buy at whole foods.  I pay ~ $10 for the current brand, but I've experimented with a bunch of others.  Castille soap is your best bet if you like bar soap, and you can buy it online fairly cheap.  They also sell liquid soap, which you dilute.

The soap I use now : http://www.jason-personalcare.com/body-loving-products/body/soap-bath

I avoid bar soap as much as possible.

I use brand name detergent and toothpaste, but after looking up homemade detergent I really want to try that, it seems very easy. 

I also wear absolutely no leather ( have vegan belts / dress shoes and NO one can tell ) or down or feathers or anything, but I've had the same pillows and comforter for the past 5+ years and when they go I will replace with alternatives.

at first I thought you were defining vegan for us, but now I see.

I don't use shampoo or conditioner ( to anyone grossed out by this, my hair is beautiful and has been for the past 2 years since I stopped ), and the body wash I use I buy at whole foods.  I pay ~ $10 for the current brand, but I've experimented with a bunch of others.  Castille soap is your best bet if you like bar soap, and you can buy it online fairly cheap.  They also sell liquid soap, which you dilute.

The soap I use now : http://www.jason-personalcare.com/body-loving-products/body/soap-bath

I avoid bar soap as much as possible.

I use brand name detergent and toothpaste, but after looking up homemade detergent I really want to try that, it seems very easy. 

I also wear absolutely no leather ( have vegan belts / dress shoes and NO one can tell ) or down or feathers or anything, but I've had the same pillows and comforter for the past 5+ years and when they go I will replace with alternatives.

Thanks man, I usually only wash my hair once a week so shampoo lasts me forever, but I feel I still need to wash it

I will most definitely look into that soap though. 

In my search I found these Toothy Tabs...sounds weird but I have always hated toothpaste and am thinking about giving them a shot...http://www.lushusa.com/Toothy-Tabs/toothy-tabs,en_US,sc.html

All of my clothes are vegan (as far as I can tell) but I still have 2 down pillows that I will be replacing soon...

Also, what do you do for cat food. I find it pretty barbaric to feed my cats other animals, but I can't really find or afford any other kind of food to give them...?

I'm in the no shampoo/conditioner club as well (and my hair looks better than it ever did when I was washing it).  The shampoo I did use is Giovanni, I want to say it's 8$ a bottle or something.  I use Tom's toothpaste, Desert Essence floss and Preserve toothbrushes (I'm assuming most big name toothbrushes are tested on animals, but I haven't checked).  All of those are available pretty cheap off Amazon, especially if you buy them in 2+ packs.  I use Kirk's Castile soap.  It's available at pretty much every grocery store and it's really cheap (3 bars for $4.50 or something).  It also doesn't seem to irritate my skin.

Saucony Vegan Jazz are probably the best shoes I've ever owned.  They seem to last me about a year (and I walk a lot) and they're reasonably priced.  Plus, they're really damn comfortable.

just rinse! I cut it out cold.

saucony jazz are great shoes.  I also wear toms and doc martens and some cloth shoes / converse.

made pineapple chili peppers tonight!

Those look amazing man!

I made Chickpea cutlets with Ginger sesame Quinoa and some Broccoli...

The cutlets turned out great for my first time making them...I'm going to have to get used to the quinoa though

I don't do quinoa but those sound great.  I'm trying to move my cooking style from "soy" based to veggie based, if that makes much sense.  I make really good baked mac n cheese and buffalo chicken and lasagna, but it's way more rewarding to make gluten free soy free stuff

No quinoa?  Crazy talk!

We don't cook a lot of fake meat since I don't think it is that awesome for you. It is nice on occasion though! We do eat a LOT of beans.

I don't eat much fake meat or cheese myself, I mainly do when I'm eating out.  I have a feeling I would wear myself out on it if I ate it regularly.  I eat a lot of beans too, at least once a day.  Damn things are delicious.

I say make whatever you enjoy. I REALLY dislike Diaya and most fake cheeses so that makes it easy. I think the Gardein cutlets are banging so I make those maybe once a month. Tofu and Tempeh certainly make their way in though, depending on the dish.

We make a lot of one pot type stuff that creates leftovers. Ends up being a lot of curries, stews , rice and beans and stir fry's, stuff like that. Essentially we do the produce section and the international aisle at the grocery store. 

We make a lot of one pot type stuff that creates leftovers. Ends up being a lot of curries, stews , rice and beans and stir fry's, stuff like that. Essentially we do the produce section and the international aisle at the grocery store. 

Haha, your eating habits seem identical to mine.  I work long days, so I usually whip up one big batch of something for the week.

I like tempeh a lot, it goes really well on sandwiches.  I looked into making it, but it seemed like a lot of work.