Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

The two main reasons on why I've thought about being vegetarian is because of how they slaughter the animals. It's so messed up.

Second reason - and the main one - I don't trust the meats nowadays. All the GMOs and all that crap. I just do not trust meat sold at stores and restaurants (talking about you, McD's).

I've gone to the store and seen apples the size of grapefruits.

THATS NOT NORMAL.

My neighbor has an apple tree and when it gives apples, they're a bit bigger than a mandarin, but smaller than an orange.

Same thing with seedless fruit (i.e. Watermelons, grapes, ect.)

Correct me if I'm wrong on some of this stuff, but even typing this out, I feel like going vegetarian.

Don't think I can fully go vegan, but I could probably do without meat and milk products.

Don't even like milk, anyway. Prefer soy milk.

Made a chickpea salad sandwich the other day and it turned out ok.  It had celery, carrots and Veganaise in there.  I think next time I'll use less celery, add pickles, onion and some mustard.

Fuck yeah man, chickpea salad is the shit!

This is the recipe I use http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/2012/10/chickpea-salad.html

I use jalapeno mustard instead of Dijon but I highly suggest the hummus instead of the Veganaise....

I don't know about the pickle and onion though...might have to try those and see...

Tonight I made Gardenburgers (with tomato, pickles, kale, jalapenos) with roasted potatoes (with onions and red peppers) and roasted beets...never tried the roasted beets before but I loved them...unfortunately the wife did not...

If anyone is looking for a fun new recipe to try, I highly suggest sweet potato quinoa burgers....really really good stuff!

Fuck yeah man, chickpea salad is the shit!

This is the recipe I use http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/2012/10/chickpea-salad.html

I use jalapeno mustard instead of Dijon but I highly suggest the hummus instead of the Veganaise....

I don't know about the pickle and onion though...might have to try those and see...

That recipe looks great!  I'll try that next time.  I always have hummus around, but I wouldn't have thought to use it instead.

Hahaha. Those $1.39 fries are really taxing.

I don't know if that science cheese will ever make it to market but I sure am curious. I don't think there is a vegan cheese that even comes close. Hell, I don't even think there is one that doesn't taste terrible. Maybe the faux Cream Cheese. 

Oh man idk maybe it's just more expensive in California, but the veggie burger is like 6 bucks. fries are like 2 at least. for 8 dollars id rather go to chipotle or round table buffet or something. lol

also, this isnt really vegan i mean i guess it is, its just unhealthy, but i made a slurpee today, like exact consistency as 7-11. i took about half a tray of ice, generous amount of Cactus Cooler, and pineapple chunks, and blended that shit. hella good. 

Really am trying to go vegetarian.

Don't know how I'll live without cheese. Or milk for my coffee.. But done with all other meat.

Need to go back a couple pages and get some recipes.

take a break from cheese. after a while you won't miss it like you think you do. as mentioned before daiya cheese is really good, but don't expect to just replace all the things you used to eat.

as far as milk goes- almond milk tastes better than the real thing. there's also a lot of brands that make soy and almond coffee creamers. not too hard to find. 

I was shocked at how much better I felt when I cut dairy out of my diet completely. In fact, once I started to introduce some animal products back in I still cut cheese out. You may not be able to go without it, or you may not want to, but you should quit it for 4 to 6 weeks. That timeframe will give you a sense of how you feel without it and I think it is also long enough to see what you eat out of habit vs. what you actually miss.

I would also say if you do you go veg* you should avoid any meat and dairy substitutes right off the bat. Coming directly from the real deal there is a pretty good chance you'll be disappointed with the faux version and it also sets up a pattern that is hard to sustain as the meals still tend to be modeled after a big protein and small sides plate.

On a somewhat related note, it is crazy how many people don't understand that cows must give birth annually to produce milk! 

I would also say if you do you go veg* you should avoid any meat and dairy substitutes right off the bat. Coming directly from the real deal there is a pretty good chance you'll be disappointed with the faux version and it also sets up a pattern that is hard to sustain as the meals still tend to be modeled after a big protein and small sides plate.

On a somewhat related note, it is crazy how many people don't understand that cows must give birth annually to produce milk! 

i would say just skip the processed "meat" substitutes entirely. Most of them are not great for you, but if you can find a non-GMO organic option, that's probably the best you can do in that category. Field Roast Celebration Roast is amazing, but it's second ingredient is gluten, so i had to cut that out.

And yes, the thing about cows being kept pregnant for milk is disturbing and not widely known.

I agree with this advice.  It's really easy to lean on the substitutes, especially in the beginning.

I don't disagree with that advice but it was not a problem for me.

When I went vegan I didn't eat for like two weeks and lose 14 pounds real fast and it felt great.  As soon as I started craving stuff I made it my goal to make the best substitutes that I could.

Anyways, Sept. 15th marked my 6th year cruelty free.  I wish I coulda made something yummy but I spent the night doing work.

Anyways, Sept. 15th marked my 6th year cruelty free.  I wish I coulda made something yummy but I spent the night doing work.

Congrats Man!! 

Just sharing a few menu items...I made this pumpkin baked Ziti with carmelized onions the other night and it was KILLER!! If you do not have a copy of the Veganomicon cookbook yet I highly highly recommend it...You will never need another vegan cookbook

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=433410

The Cashew Ricotta was very easy to make, I didn't make my own breadcrumbs though...

Also, one of my wifes favorite meals lately has been sauteed veggies (Broccoli, carrots, green beans and snap peas) with white rice and ramen noodles...we don't use the salt packet for the noodles cause that is not vegan...but the noodles are surprisingly

Great stuff!!

I think I am going to make Chili this weekend...

Today is my first day as being vegetarian!

I'm really happy about life when I found out they have soy chorizo. That's awesome.

Smells just like it too.

I may be speaking too early, but this is going great so far. So many foods out there that are these faux meat types of food, yet veg. So awesome. I'm stoked.

Today is my first day as being vegetarian!

I'm really happy about life when I found out they have soy chorizo. That's awesome.

Smells just like it too.

I may be speaking too early, but this is going great so far. So many foods out there that are these faux meat types of food, yet veg. So awesome. I'm stoked.

Congratulations!  Hope you enjoy the lifestyle.  Feel free to ask questions here!  The Internet is your best friend too, you'll find no shortage of recipes and other bits of useful information.

Edit : Get yourself a slow cooker and a food processor (or nice blender) if you don't have them already.

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy the lifestyle. Feel free to ask questions here! The Internet is your best friend too, you'll find no shortage of recipes and other bits of useful information.

Edit : Get yourself a slow cooker and a food processor (or nice blender) if you don't have them already.

Thank you!

I do have a slow cooker that I never use, so that's going to be used and I used to have a good blender, but I rarely blend things. Will have to invest in one.

Also, I find it odd that people eat eggs and considers themselves vegetarians. Don't know if you can bend the rules there a bit, but I almost never eat eggs anyway. Just curiosity.

From what I understand.  I'm pretty much epitomizing the rude vegan below.  I get worked up.

pescatarian: (do you really need a label?)

- avoids meat and chicken, but eats fish

vegetarian or (lacto-ovo vegetarian)

- avoids meat and fish, and many avoid gelatin.

vegan (cruelty free)

- avoids all animal product / byproduct

- except some consume honey..... ( really, bees ARE harmed when their honey is taken from them )

- doesn't wear animal byproduct

fun fact

- the word vegan is derived from the FIRST THREE and LAST TWO letters of vegetarian.

Personal opinions FACTS about animal cruelty and some opinions I harbor on (vegetarianism / meat eating).

- if you eat eggs and or dairy, please remember that you are still harming the animals, as those industries are just as cruel as the meat industry.

- humans are the only species that drink milk after being weaned, and ABSOLUTELY the only who drinks the milk from another species.  Milk is baby formula, which is why it is full of nutrients.  It isn't suitable for humans.  Milk is linked to osteoporosis and weight gain.

- lactose intolerance, or the inability to digest lactose, is NOT natural.  65% of the human population has some degree of lactose intolerance.  After a baby is weaned, the enzyme lactase, which is required to digest milk, is no longer needed.

- economically, the amount of feed required to produce meat is incredibly inefficient.

rough estimates:

- 2lb of feed per 1lb of chicken
     - 4lb of feed per 1lb of pork
     - 6lb of feed per 1lb of beef

(imagine if more farms focused on growing healthy, suitable for human consumption, vegetables)

- cows ARE HARMED when their milk is taken from them.

"" BUT COWS NEED TO BE MILKED "" is the worst argument you can make

Like humans, cows provide milk for their baby, and only once they give birth can they be milked.

the dairy cow life cycle (don't read if you want to fake ignorance.  TW for violence )

- cow (heifer) is old enough to have a baby, and thus provide milk for greedy humans.

- cow needs to be impregnated.  Since the natural mating cycle isn't guaranteed and can take a long time, they are forcefully impregnated.  Every year, the cow is impregnated to continue to produce milk.

-  If the calf is decided to be veal, it is often immediately taken from the mother.  On some farms, the calf is suckled from its own mother until it is weaned.  Then it is taken away.

- the mother, as long as she is continuously milked, will keep producing milk.  With hormones, she can produce much more milk than usual.

- this can happen up to three times, before the cow is too used to produce milk suitable for human consumption.  She is then killed and used for dog food and cheap canned soup.

ask me questions!  I will answer you nicely I promise!

Wow, that's some interesting stuff!

My dad is always telling me how bad milk is for a person. That you only really need it when you're a kid and that's it.

I had no idea there was some true evidence behind it.

I don't drink milk anyways, so I'm not missing it at all, haha. I don't really like the taste of it all that much. Knowing that there's cruelty involved in that as well furthers my dislike for it.

I love soy milk and recently tried almond milk (since that's what my dad drinks) and loved it as well.

Going to try out some veggie burgers tomorrow. Can't wait to see how they come out!

From what I understand.  I'm pretty much optimizing the rude vegan below.  I get worked up.

pescatarian: (do you really need a label?)

- avoids meat and chicken, but eats fish

vegetarian or (lacto-ovo vegetarian)

- avoids meat and fish, and many avoid gelatin.

vegan (cruelty free)

- avoids all animal product / byproduct

- except some consume honey..... ( really, bees ARE harmed when their honey is taken from them )

- doesn't wear animal byproduct

fun fact

- the word vegan is derived from the FIRST THREE and LAST TWO letters of vegetarian.

Personal opinions FACTS about animal cruelty and some opinions I harbor on (vegetarianism / meat eating).

- if you eat eggs and or dairy, please remember that you are still harming the animals, as those industries are just as cruel as the meat industry.

- humans are the only species that drink milk after being weaned, and ABSOLUTELY the only who drinks the milk from another species.  Milk is baby formula, which is why it is full of nutrients.  It isn't suitable for humans.  Milk is linked to osteoporosis and weight gain.

- lactose intolerance, or the inability to digest lactose, is NOT natural.  65% of the human population has some degree of lactose intolerance.  After a baby is weaned, the enzyme lactase, which is required to digest milk, is no longer needed.

- economically, the amount of feed required to produce meat is incredibly inefficient.

rough estimates:

- 2lb of feed per 1lb of chicken

- 4lb of feed per 1lb of pork

- 6lb of feed per 1lb of beef

(imagine if more farms focused on growing healthy, suitable for human consumption, vegetables)

- cows ARE HARMED when their milk is taken from them.

"" BUT COWS NEED TO BE MILKED "" is the worst argument you can make

Like humans, cows provide milk for their baby, and only once they give birth can they be milked.

the dairy cow life cycle (don't read if you want to fake ignorance.  TW for violence )

- cow (heifer) is old enough to have a baby, and thus provide milk for greedy humans.

- cow needs to be impregnated.  Since the natural mating cycle isn't guaranteed and can take a long time, they are forcefully impregnated.  Every year, the cow is impregnated to continue to produce milk.

-  If the calf is decided to be veal, it is often immediately taken from the mother.  On some farms, the calf is suckled from its own mother until it is weaned.  Then it is taken away.

- the mother, as long as she is continuously milked, will keep producing milk.  With hormones, she can produce much more milk than usual.

- this can happen up to three times, before the cow is too used to produce milk suitable for human consumption.  She is then killed and used for dog food and cheap canned soup.

ask me questions!  I will answer you nicely I promise!

RIGHT ON! preach the truth dude!!!!

I am vegetarian. trying to make the jump to vegan.  the only things standing in my way are eggs (friend raises his own chickens, cruelty free) and cheese pizza.  I need a rehab to quit cheese pizza... a real 12 step program.  its an addiction.

KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT and changing opinions.  it all happens one person at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

http://minimalistbaker.com/the-worlds-easiest-cinnamon-rolls/

I just made some of those. I had never had a cinnamon roll before so I can't really compare them to others, but I thought they turned out alright. I didn't go with their recipe for a glaze though, I followed a basic one on the packet of icing sugar I had.

It was an accident, so I guess I'm fine.

Anyways, today marks week two! I've been feeling great, so it just proves that you don't need meat to survive. As long as you eat foods with protein, you're pretty much set. I felt really tired a couple days ago, but that's just because I was eating nothing but cereal that day. Baaaaaaad idea. Body needed some real food, I'm assuming. So yeah, I'm not doing that again, haha.

Also, I can already feel myself as being a bit slimmer, haha. Not by a lot, but I'm a pretty heavy guy and I can tell. It's crazy.

I'm not doing this to lose weight, but that's just a great added bonus! :P

I just had some peanuts and they had whey.

Didn't say milk, so I ate a couple, but it bothered me, so I Googled it and it's pretty much milk.

ffs does this mean I have to start over

i don't think being vegan is about being perfect. i always strive to be better and live a cruelty-free life. i order as vegan as i can at restaurants, i cook vegan, i buy vegan, etc. but if i'm at a place for a family's birthday dinner or something and order a vegan burger but the bun isn't 100% vegan, i'm not going to die. to me, i think being difficult sends the wrong message. 

my girlfriend and i went to visit her grandmother who she hasn't seen in two years. she has told her grandma she's a  vegan but she doesn't really know what that is. she was so excited we were driving out that she made us a pumpkin pie. yes, we both had a slice because it would've been rude as hell not to. when we went out for pizza we ordered pizza without cheese, because that's simple enough. 

i guess what i'm trying to say is: it's a learning process and it's a personal thing. you have to figure out where your line is, and keep working to get to a goal. you'll become more educated as you go along. i just think it shouldn't be our goal to stick out or alienate people, it should be to show others how reasonable it is to live a cruelty-free life and eat a better diet.