Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

you have a valid point on the honey thing. I can honestly say that I have never met someone who called themselves vegan, and ate honey. also, can someone point me in the direction of cheap, easy, and healthy vegan/vegetarian recipes?

There's a lot of awesome websites and blogs on vegetarian and vegan food recipes! Vegkitchen.com, allrecipies.com, vegansociety.com, are all really cool resources. The only good thing Peta does is stock up on good vegetarian and vegan recipes, as well as offering lists of big name brand products that are "accidentally vegan" - like Oreos for example.  

I have the VegWeb app on my phone, which is sick.  It has so many recipes.  Some of them come out great, others, not so much.

Regarding the bees - it's really simple.  I'm a vegan, and I try my hardest to live an animal product / byproduct free life style.  Honey is a byproduct of the bees, and therefore it comes from animals.  Yes, it's more natural than milk, no, it's not vegan.

Daiya cheese is good, compared to others, but it makes me fart like crazy. There is this new cheese, Trader Joes brand, which melted pretty well but was very plasticky.  When eaten with spinach and a pita and fake chicken strips ( also TJ brand, also really goods ), it wasn't too bad.

RECIPES:

Pineapple Chili - courtesy of Andy Tabar of CompassionCo // TFT.

this recipe is really cheap if you buy everything canned and still really yummy (literally, you can feed 4-6 people till they are stuffed for 10-12 bucks if you have the spices), or really expensive but also better if fresh.

• One big can of diced tomatoes OR fresh tomatoes.
  • 4-5 cans of your favorite beans (black, red, pinto, kidney, lentils, doesn't really matter).
  • one can of diced pineapple OR fresh
  • fresh pepper, hot pepper, jalapenos, onion and garlic // optional
  • spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, cayenne, chili powder (duh, lots) red pepper flakes, etc.

Open all the beans and wash them thoroughly with a sieve.  The liquid that comes in the beans causes more gas than the beans themselves!

if you have fresh onion or pepper or garlic, saute it first a bit!

Grab your biggest pot - mix in all the veggies and beans, but not the pineapple. Stir it and it will slowly get more liquidy.  When the liquid forms throw in your spices.  I just do it randomly and it always, always, always, tastes good.  Don't put too much chilli powder if you're worried about it being too spicy.  Near the end, some liquid will evaporate, and it will taste spicer than it does when there is lots of liquid.

~~ 15 minutes later, pour in the pineapples.  I pour the juice in, but it isn't optional.  Big pineapple chunks taste different than little ones, but its, again, up to you.    Let cook for at least 1 hour, but the longer the better.  If it's very liquidy, you can add some flour or even nutritional yeast  to help soak it up and thicken. 

serve!!!!!!

Personal Lasagna Recipe:

this is ridiculously good, serves lots of people, and even my non-vegan friends who hate that I'm vegan will try it and enjoy it.

• Fake ground beef ( doesn't matter what brand, but trader joes brand is weak.  )
  • one block of extra firm or firm tofu
  • bag of mozzarella. daiya cheese
  • box of lasagna noodles
  • your favorite red sauce ( I usually get like a garlic and basil one )
  • your favorite vegetables I use spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms.  It's up to you.
  • lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper
  • olive oil

Make the ricotta cheese

one block of tofu, food process lightly or, just do what I do and take a fork and squish it up into crumbles.  Mix lots of lemon juice and some garlic powder and more onion powder and pepper.  As you mix it up, it kind of resembles ricotta cheese.  When mixed in you won't even be able to tell!

Cook the ground beef

You can add seasoning if you want, but it's not necessary.  Don't get it crisp or burnt, just warm and soft and crumbled.

The Noodles:

I don't cook them cause my mom doesn't cook them.  If you do, it'll probably come out a little bit better than mine haha.  I add water at the end and it cooks in the oven.

To layer: use half of your beef and half of your veggies and half the ricotta cheese for the layers, as you layer it twice.  For the sauce, just do thin layers, but you go through an entire can, roughly.  For daiya cheese, just cover it thinly, you want enough for 3 layers with the most on top.

Grab a lasagna dish thing and rub a little oil on the pan and then put a thin layer of sauce.  Start layering with dry noodles on the bottom. Put more sauce on top of them.  Then put the ricotta cheese, then the ground beef, then the veggies, then the daiya cheese.  If you have spinach, fresh, layer it completely so it looks cool and green.  If you want to season it up with garlic and onion powder and whatever you look best, be my guest!

then add another layer of noodles in the opposite direction.  you'll have to break them up a bit to fit the pan.  Then sauce, ricotta, beef, veggies, daiya. 

For the top, put the noodles in original direction, cover with the rest of your sauce, put the rest of your cheese.  If you want, you can save a little to add near the end of the cooking.   Everything else should be gone.

Take at least a cup of water and pour in the corners of the pan.  Try not to wash off the sauce on top!

Throw in the oven at 350 degrees cover with alumn foil, poke some holes, and cook for 45 minutes.  I don't, but you can take off the cover after 45 minutes if the noodles are cooked.  Usually, the edges of my top layer noodles stay hard, so I often add a little more water.  I've never cooked for more than one hour and 10 minutes.

It's important, especially with my method, to let it sit for at least one hour after cooking.  If you precook the noodles, maybe not, and it will probably stay more blocky.  Mine loses some of its form, but it tastes so good it doesn't matter.

PANCAKES

the BEST, no joke, pancakes, ever.

Get any brand of pancake batter but make sure its the one that has you add eggs and milk.  Aunt Jemimas brand is veg.

Soy milk or almond milk.  Tastes better with soy IMO since it cooks better.

Banana - you need one third of a normal sized banana per egg.  More banana makes your pancakes taste more bananey.

follow instructions on box.

only important thing about that is ONE third ( at most ) of normal banana per egg. It works for all recipes.

I"m making the lasagna tomorrow so I'll post pics if I remember.

ill post more recipes another night!

This may be off point, but I'm vegetarian and was eating at Loving Hut the other day and heard all this stuff on their TV about "Supreme Master." I did some wiki-ing and found that LH is operated by an accused cult leader. I did some more detectivizing and found only standard follower-fleecing cult stuff, but nothing that would make me want to boycott LH. 

Has anyone heard of anything really sinister done by Ching Hai or her followers? I ask because I try to be socially conscious with my spending and, as much as I'm pro-animal rights, I'm more pro-human rights, so I don't want to contribute to a cult that is committing any human rights abuses, even if their food is super yummy. 

• 1 month later...

So I've made the decision I'm going to work toward going vegan. I've decided to start eliminating meat from my diet now and go ova-lacto by april 1. Then I'll start working in substitutes for dairy and egg and hopefully be able to make the transition by mid-may.

I'm not a big earth eater, as my salads are pretty bare-bones as I hate about half the vegetables out there.

But it's something I really want to do.

I'm sure there's a few vegans on here. Any tips on making the transition? Any good resources out there?

I've been vegetarian for about 7 years now, though I broke veg twice. Once because I was very stupid/drunk/high and my friend took me to a Chinese buffet and we inhaled everything. Too bad I couldn't really taste any of it though. The next time I broke veg was because I thought "hmm, I wonder if I'll like meat if I eat it again?". I ate chicken. Bleh.

These are my favorite vegan food blogs:

http://ohsheglows.com/

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com/ (this one is pretty cool just because it's easy/cheap vegan eats)

I also have the veganomicon book. I do a lot of vegan baking too. Favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe is from the post punk kitchen! Best one I've tried so far and it doesn't use any more expensive ingredients like vegan butter.

I go vegan every few months then end up breaking it when I have a craving for regular cheese pizza. Which kills me anyway because I'm lactose-intolerant. I plan on trying raw veganism for a couple of months though to see how it goes/if I could do it!

Wanna write more, but I'm at work at the moment.

I've been vegetarian for about 7 years now, though I broke veg twice. Once because I was very stupid/drunk/high and my friend took me to a Chinese buffet and we inhaled everything. Too bad I couldn't really taste any of it though. The next time I broke veg was because I thought "hmm, I wonder if I'll like meat if I eat it again?". I ate chicken. Bleh.

These are my favorite vegan food blogs:

http://ohsheglows.com/

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

http://theveganstoner.blogspot.com/ (this one is pretty cool just because it's easy/cheap vegan eats)

I also have the veganomicon book. I do a lot of vegan baking too. Favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe is from the post punk kitchen! Best one I've tried so far and it doesn't use any more expensive ingredients like vegan butter.

I go vegan every few months then end up breaking it when I have a craving for regular cheese pizza. Which kills me anyway because I'm lactose-intolerant. I plan on trying raw veganism for a couple of months though to see how it goes/if I could do it!

Wanna write more, but I'm at work at the moment.

Dude, I'm in the process of going vegan, pretty much the only thing I really have to give up yet is cheese, but what I have been doing lately is getting the vegetable pizza from papa johns with no cheese...that shit is amazing... I recommend giving it a shot. 

Only about 5 more weeks and I'm 100% straight veg...can't wait

Why do you people need so long to make the change? Seems like something you just wake up one day and do. I'm not attacking, just genuinely curious.

i wanna make sure i do it right. get used to the changes. for instance, if i just go cold turkey tomorrow, i'll eventually decide i miss everything at once, rather than get used to changing certain things in my diet one by one. (or 5 by 5)