+Karma Train Giveaway [26] Circa Survive B-Sides + Marriages

Derek™

All aboard.

kt-header.png

///// WHAT IT IS
People like free records. People like to feel good about themselves. And people like to free up shelf space. Why not take the opportunity to enjoy all three of these luxuries in one single thread? +Karma Train is an ongoing giveaway of good feels and free records. The rules are simple: one item is offered up at a time, and will be raffled off through various means. Enter if the record appeals to you, but note that if you win, it is your turn to clear some shelf space and give away a prize of your own choosing.

///// HOW IT WORKS
There aren't too many rules at all. The winner of each giveaway becomes the raffler for the next, and it will be up to them to set any specifications, which should be made clear well before it is time to determine a winner. Some things you may want to consider, if it is your turn to give away an album:

• Are you limiting your giveaway to members in your country?
  • Are you willing to ship outside of your country, if the winner covers the costs?
  • Should the winner be required to have a certain amount of posts?
  • How many entrants will you allow? 10? 20? Everyone?
  • At what point will you cut off entrants? Using a # cap? ("First 20") Or by time? ("One week from this post.")
  • Do you have a mailer and shipping supplies on hand?
  • Are you willing to cover the cost of shipping, or will you be asking for ~$4 to cover Media Mail?
  • How will you draw names?* From a hat? Using a random generator? Name tags fastened to a slip mat?

Most of these things should be established in either a post or a PM to yours truly. I will update the first post of this thread to ensure that we're all on the same page at all times.

*If you do not have a method of drawing names, I will create a looped GIF to randomly generate names for you. You may draw or you may have me draw in your place. Whichever you prefer.

///// THE GREEN LIGHT • NEW!
Effective May 19, 2014, there will be a new rule implemented to this thread.  This is the green light rule, and ensures that no one is taken advantage of.  The rule is simple: if you win a raffle, you will not receive your prize until you've submitted an entry of your own.  This means that you must verify what you'll be giving away, when you'll be declaring a winner, and also confirming that you have both funds and materials to physically ship the prize out.  If you do not have the means of shipping a prize, you will not receive your record.  (And you probably shouldn't be entering in the giveaways to begin with.)

Members who fail to abide by this rules of this thread will be added to a black list, where they will be denied entry to all future giveaways.  All it takes is one member being shitty to derail this whole thread... so let's all be on-the-ball, and see how far we can take this thing.
R26
///// NEWEST CONDUCTOR
Rezqua (ft. abovetheearth)
C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s !

///// NEWEST PRIZES
CIRCA SURVIVE B-SIDES 7" / WHITE-GREEN SWIRL

MARRIAGES SALOME 12" /CLEAR

///// SPECIFICATIONS
CUTOFF // THURSDAY — 12 / 17 / 15
LOCATION // USA
SHIPPING // $3.22 U.S. SHIPPING,

REQUIREMENTS // U.S. RESIDENT, 500+ POSTS

///// 0 CURRENT ENTRANTS
TBA

This is super nice of you, dude! A good deed goes a long way.

Cheers, and thank you.

A lot of this stuff has very little resale value, so I'm not too concerned about members taking advantage of the giveaway to make a $6 profit.  As selfish as it sounds, the main motivation is for me to whittle down my own collection and bit, and free up some shelf space.  If I can hook up people with a record they'd fancy, or even a new band they've never heard of, that's just icing on the cake.

I think it'd be cool to do something other than just a random giveaway, too.  Maybe some sort of riddle or online scavenger hunt could be fun, just to mix things up a bit.  Not really sure.  I'd also like to hook up my fellow VC night-owls.

Nice, selfless act, man. I really like Colin/Circa's work but I honestly haven't listened to this; always meant to, just never did. I had the privilege of interviewing Colin about a year and a half back and he was a delight to talk to. Had a good 50-minute convo about Circa and his personal art and Esao's art too.

Anyway, throwing my hat in the ring even though I'm not a regular...yet. And I'd for sure cover your shipping cost if chosen. Thanks!

EDIT: Partially selfless haha. Mutually beneficial act I should say.

Cheers, and thank you.

A lot of this stuff has very little resale value, so I'm not too concerned about members taking advantage of the giveaway to make a $6 profit.  As selfish as it sounds, the main motivation is for me to whittle down my own collection and bit, and free up some shelf space.  If I can hook up people with a record they'd fancy, or even a new band they've never heard of, that's just icing on the cake.

I think it'd be cool to do something other than just a random giveaway, too.  Maybe some sort of riddle or online scavenger hunt could be fun, just to mix things up a bit.  Not really sure.  I'd also like to hook up my fellow VC night-owls.

Very noble of you, man. I'll go ahead and enter for the fun of it all (even though I'm a total newbie). I love Circa too, so if I would happen to win, this would be an interesting piece to have.

im down for this! love this record and dont think i own it on vinyl.

Between your familiarity with the record and your previous generosity to the community, it's going to be really difficult to not just send you this record outright.  Real talk.

This is really cool. I've never actually listened to Circa Survive or Psychic Babble, so I probably shouldn't be entered in the raffle, but it's a cool idea (and should be fun).

Good luck to the entrants anyway!

By all means, you (and anyone else) should check the album out on Spotify or something, to see if it's up your alley.

Nice, selfless act, man. I really like Colin/Circa's work but I honestly haven't listened to this; always meant to, just never did. I had the privilege of interviewing Colin about a year and a half back and he was a delight to talk to. Had a good 50-minute convo about Circa and his personal art and Esao's art too.

Anyway, throwing my hat in the ring even though I'm not a regular...yet. And I'd for sure cover your shipping cost if chosen. Thanks!

EDIT: Partially selfless haha. Mutually beneficial act I should say.

Very noble of you, man. I'll go ahead and enter for the fun of it all (even though I'm a total newbie). I love Circa too, so if I would happen to win, this would be an interesting piece to have.

You guys are both perfect examples of members that I'd be comfortable allowing into the raffle.  Not sure if it's your avatars and signatures, but I see a lot of your posts around, in the short time you've been members.  Not restricting these giveaways to folks who have 1,000+ posts, by any means... but also not looking to give them away to lurkers who create an account just to score freebies.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to determine the winner, please feel free to let me know.  At the moment I'm just leaning towards a name-out-of-a-hat drawing.

Fucking cheers.

I don't want to be entered into this one, just wanted to say you're a good dude. But that goes without saying.

Thank you for the kind words.  Truly.  And us night-owls are far and few, to be sure.  We've all got to stick together.

I'd like to think that I have a basic grasp on what you [probably] enjoy; currently riffling through my "giveaway" albums to make sure there's at least one album that you (and a few others) would theoretically dig.

Between your familiarity with the record and your previous generosity to the community, it's going to be really difficult to not just send you this record outright.  Real talk.

haha! appreciate that derek, very kind of you. but give everyone else a fair chance as well. lets make this fun.  :)

I'm thinking about creating a looped gif for all the entrants.  Each entry receives a frame in the animation.  They'll cycle through at the highest speed possible; 0.0 seconds per contestant.  I could click and drag at random intervals to determine a winner, perhaps?  To give you an idea, try clicking and dragging this a few times;

flashing-colors-animated-different.gif

You should get a different color each time.

Where it gets interesting, though, is with the idea of bonuses.  Having 1,000 posts, you'd earn your frame +0.1 seconds.  Have over 20 positive trade feedback?  Another +0.1 seconds.  It may not seem like much, but a frame of 0.4 or 0.5 seconds would give a significant advantage to members who post frequently, hook other members up, etc.  Plus it'd be a lot easier and faster (and even more resourceful) than cutting up names and drawing them out of hats.  Maybe the most frequent name out of 10 click-and-drags would win it?  Just an idea.  I could even record the drawing process and post it, to ensure there's no funny business or favoritism.

My bad, I forgot to add his music as well. batman here on the boards got me hooked awhile back. Please consider this post as an entry.

Awesome.  Already got you covered.

Not setting a time limit on this, but I want to make sure everyone has a fair chance to enter.  I think I'll draw Monday afternoon or evening, if not solely in an attempt to offset the Monday blahs.

This absolutely rules. I'm not a total regular on here (I tried to stay for a while but was getting very busy with school and work) but I'm done with school this semester so I hope to spend a lot of times on the boards.

Circa has been one of my major musical influences since I began my journey to musicianship years back. Everything from the music they make, to their stage performance, they are one of the most fantastic bands out there.

Such a great thing you're doing here, man. Although I don't think I'll will, I love this album and would love to own the LP so I can spin it all the time.

Thanks for the opportunity!

This is such an awesome idea man, I'd like to be considered as well. Colin's an awesome guy and Psychic Babble doesn't get nearly enough recognition. I was fortunate enough to chat with him for a while at his art gallery opening in Philly the other year.

On a slightly related note, when Psychic Babble did their first tour opening for Anthony Green a few months back, one of the band's touring members was a dude who runs one of my favorite small businesses, Miles to Go. He commissions indie artists to make t-shirt and poster designs based on classic literature, and they all look amazing. Colin recently did the design for Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, and some other artists like Keaton Henson, Cutty Bage and my friend Paul Granese have done designs for everything from Slaughterhouse 5 to Moby Dick and the Tell-Tale Heart. Books aren't dead, you just have to wear them now. Anyway I'd recommend some people check out milestogoclothing.com and support some damn talented people.