Oldest record you own

I like to collect Herb Alpert records I find in 99 cent bins. I bought Going Places a while back because it had "Spanish Flea" and "Zorba The Greek" on it and listening to the record made me realize how many Alpert songs have been used in The Simpsons. I don't go out of my way to find his stuff, I just get what I happen across in discount bins.

Also dig my Leon Redbone albums, also from discount bins. Not sure why Tom Waits is so popular when Redbone is just as solid, if not better!

I still have the first record I ever owned which was a Disney Christmas album with "The Chipmunk Song" on it. Parents got it for me when I was probably 4 or 5.

My girlfriends dad gave me a bucket filled with his grandparents 78s (no jackets). Most of them have dates on them from the 30s and 40s but the oldest I've seen was 1923.

Cant even play them on my main table but I have a DJ TT with an old stylus that I don't mind spinning them on.

Marty Robbins' Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs from April, 1959. Great record, and the only country-and-western record I own (well, that and More Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs).

This is my oldest as well. I also have Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits (country) from 1961 and some Bill Cosby stand-up comedy albums from the early-to-mid '60s.

John_Coltrane_-_Blue_Train.jpg

If you like music but don't own this old record, you're really failing at this.

Except an original press on Blue Note will cost you well over $200... if you're lucky.

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/221144985804/John_Coltrane_Blue_Train__57_Blue_Note_1577_W_63rd_NYC_RVG_DG_LP

I really like the Analogue Productions repress on 45 RPM, myself. Not cheap but sounds amazing... And still WAY cheaper than a first press. Most reissues from the 70s on sound pretty bad too.

Oldest record I own is a mono first press of Kind Of Blue, 1959. Pretty mint considering the age. I also have a second pressing of Dylan's Highway 61 Revisted (1965) which I'm hanging onto, despite owning that great Dylan mono set. Something about hearing that record in full stereo....

Whoever was disparaging 80s records, you might want to reconsider... Depending on the label and the pressing, you can find some GREAT sounding titles that were repressed in the 1980s. And there's a good chance they'll be in much nicer condition than originals from the 1960s or 70s. Motown in particular is a GREAT label for 80s represses... My copies of What's Going On and Al Green's Greatest Hits sound better than any original presses I've ever heard.

(Now in terms of ACTUAL albums from the 80s... Well, The Cure... New Order... R.E.M.... Replacements... Metallica... Iron Maiden... all well worth picking up, though some titles might cost you some bucks.)

Except an original press on Blue Note will cost you well over $200... if you're lucky.

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/details/221144985804/John_Coltrane_Blue_Train__57_Blue_Note_1577_W_63rd_NYC_RVG_DG_LP

I really like the Analogue Productions repress on 45 RPM, myself. Not cheap but sounds amazing... And still WAY cheaper than a first press. Most reissues from the 70s on sound pretty bad too.

NM copies go upwards of 2K.

I'm an avid jazz collector, and I can't find one for reasonable. I have a reissue test pressing of it. Still, I was spurring what I anticipate the young into discovering older music that's better than 95% of their current favorite music.

This is my oldest as well. I also have Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits (country) from 1961 and some Bill Cosby stand-up comedy albums from the early-to-mid '60s.

Seems like 1959 is a popular year so far. I'm honestly very surprised by how few people have records from the 60s and even the 70s. Before I got into punk music, I only had about ten records out of a hundred that were pressed after 1985.

You guys and your Brand New.  B)

My oldest record in my catalogued collection right now is a mint sealed original stereo copy Bill Cosby's Bill Cosby Is A Very Funny Fellow... Right! from 1963.

I do have a rather large stack of older records, in fact some I'm having trouble finding release years for, but one is The McGuire Sisters Dottie, Chris, Phyllis (Coral Records: LPCM-14) album from (I think) 1956'ish in a gatefold jacket with sewn in record sleeve with plastic liner on "Microgroove Unbreakable" vinyl, whatever that is haha. This is the only reference to it I can find for the album but my copy is different and there's absolutely nothing on the jacket or record to discern when it was actually released.

My oldest record in my catalogued collection right now is a mint sealed original stereo copy Bill Cosby's Bill Cosby Is A Very Funny Fellow... Right! from 1963.

I do have a rather large stack of older records, in fact some I'm having trouble finding release years for, but one is The McGuire Sisters Dottie, Chris, Phyllis (Coral Records: LPCM-14) album from (I think) 1956'ish in a gatefold jacket with sewn in record sleeve with plastic liner on "Microgroove Unbreakable" vinyl, whatever that is haha. This is the only reference to it I can find for the album but my copy is different and there's absolutely nothing on the jacket or record to discern when it was actually released.

It sounds like maybe you have an import of the album since Coral didn't use that numbering system in the US, to my knowledge. Is it a 12" record and not a 10"? Their 'Sincerely' album has their names on it, is this the cover and/or track listing? If so, it is from 1956 provided it isn't a reissue of some sort.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McGuire-Sisters-Dottie-Phyllis-And-Chris-M-PS-M-1956-/141187214174?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item20df69eb5e

This is a neat idea for a thread. Here's my oldest, it's Souvenir Album by Ella Fitzgerald, released in 1949. I found it this summer at a record store that was moving. They had hundreds of boxes they hadn't had the time to search through and price, and they had to be out of the building fast, so they put all the boxes out and everything was $1. I managed to find this gem. It's in good condition for it's age. It's kinda noisey, but I love listening to it.

px9160d.jpg

mjePLwb.jpg

I've got a whole bunch of classical/mitch miller/oddballs, but they are in storage at my parents house

The oldest ones I have right now that I listen to a lot are

Judy Garland - Live At Carnage Hall

T.S. Eliot - The Waste Land

Truman Capote - Reads selections from In Cold Blood

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

I love spoken word records...and am incredibly jealous about that LP of Ginsberg reading Howl...I bet that is amazing!

NM copies go upwards of 2K.

I'm an avid jazz collector, and I can't find one for reasonable. I have a reissue test pressing of it. Still, I was spurring what I anticipate the young into discovering older music that's better than 95% of their current favorite music.

Yup. I love Coltrane, but I can't find any decent original copies of Blue Train for a reasonable price either. That's why I mentioned the Analogue Productions press... They have a 33 RPM and a 45 RPM available, and both sound about as good as any jazz record you're gonna here. 

Unlike the current wave of Miles reissues, there are NOT cheap pressings (under $20) of Coltrane that sound really good. Too many digital transfers. Speaking of Miles... My KOB, Sketches Of Spain, and Bitches Brew are all originals in VG quality. (BB might even be NM.)