A lot of the dude characters were trying to be something they weren't.

Ray was a good dude who was trying to be a bastard.

Frank was a cunning gangster trying to be a sophisticated businessman.

Kitsch was a tortured gay dude trying to be a masculine guy who was unaffected by his past.

Each of them ended up dying and losing everything because of their attempts to be those things they weren't.  If Ray hadn't killed that guy, Frank hadn't tried to go into business with Semyon, and Kitsch had been openly gay, they'd prob last a little longer on this earth.

You mean Osip, right?  Frank is Semyon

I enjoyed it and look forward to season 3.

I will binge this season this fall, which will make it better i think. Waiting a week between episodes was tough, i forgot details that made having 3 character archs tough to follow how they intertwined over 7 episodes before the finale.

Season 1 was a longer season with less main characters, which made it eaaier to flush out. I wonder if theyll build off this experience for the next season. Either was, i really did enjoy it

So my fiancé and I just got finished watching "Top Of The Lake" on Netflix and HOLY SHIT. I feel like this could have been a season of True Detective and it would've fit right in.

Although funny enough, this came out before the first season of True Detective. Still, if there are any of you who weren't really a fan of the 2nd season of True Detective, I recommend checking this out to make yourself feel better.

• 4 months later...

4 month bump?! Yes.

I finally went back and finished the last half of season 2. I can't say I was a huge fan but I thought the second half of the season was much much better than the first. I also thought the ending was terrible but I guess you can only go two ways with that kind of show. You either kill the main characters or let them live happily ever after. Or like Dexter they could just go live somewhere remote and work as a lumberjack. All in all I felt like it wasn't very unique and was just a cooler/longer version of CSI or some crap show like that.

OST is amazing though.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...