And i was just thinking about this, but those kids that chole makes out of the cans kinda seemed like just something he did to fuck around, but by the end he started to get a group of them and it seems like a symbol of kids in a circle maybe watching these events.

I don't know if I'm looking too much in it, but maybe, except for the shootout story, whenever both guys tell a story it is true, but when it's just Rust it's all a lie. We believe he found those figurines in the school, but in actuality it's his mind games and he put them there and was just going back after x amount a years. But like I said, it could all be he is just trying to figure out the crime vigilante style, but everyone else has no idea and just thinks he is involved.

I don't know if I'm looking too much in it, but maybe, except for the shootout story, whenever both guys tell a story it is true, but when it's just Rust it's all a lie. We believe he found those figurines in the school, but in actuality it's his mind games and he put them there and was just going back after x amount a years. But like I said, it could all be he is just trying to figure out the crime vigilante style, but everyone else has no idea and just thinks he is involved.

Maybe, but the creator has stated in an interview that while what is said during the interrogation scenes can be questionably true/false, all the flashback scenes are what truly happened.

Also, this article about last night's episode is awesome: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/16/true-detective-episode-5-review-the-secret-fate-of-all-life-is-the-best-episode-yet.html

I think anything that's shown as a flashback is true (I could be wrong, but that seems to be the angle they've been playing all along. And that would make for a shitty twist if they basically said the whole Rust story is a lie.)

I think by saying "Maybe Rust did it?" this last episode (something that's been in the back of everyone's minds the whole time" disproves that he's guilty because I don't think they'd give it away that quick. It's possible, but that seems like a cheap way out, and I think this show is better than that.

I know I'm projecting my own feelings for quality in this genre on the show, but I find it hard to believe that a story that has been this excellent and deep for 5 episodes already (out of only 8) would let itself succumb to predictable or implausible outcomes just for the sake of a twist. There's no way this ends like a CSI episode. It's never been about who committed the murders as much as it's been about the psyches of those involved with it.

i am a big fan of this show. having burned through top of the lake, arne dahl, the fall, forbrydelsen, thekilling, bron/broen, etc. i was desperate for more of the same.

my wild theory that i haven't seen mentioned before:

it's clear that one of the main themes of this series is that man is capable of horrible, monstrous evils. i believe that is the purpose of the allusions to the king in yellow, and the forbidden book that drives men mad when they read it. they are driven insane through learning the truth of what man is capable of... and that is exactly what happens to rust as he immerses himself deeper into the mystery of the murders, the drug underworld, the memory of what happened to has daughter, and the fate of hart and his family.

as for specific plot, i believe that the "satanic cult" is a elaborate scheme concocted by the tuttle family to scare people towards the church and further the christian cause. it got way out of hand, and people started legitimately following their made-up beliefs, and they just let it continue, while using the positive press to their advantage.

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but it's a pretty in depth piece on the literary meaning of The Yellow King.

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

This is great! Thanks for sharing. I have never heard of The King in Yellow until now. 

This show is so incredibly brilliant. I don't know how they are going to top this season. I even love going back and re-watching the episodes which I will clearly need to do at least 3 times with this last one. There was just so much going on and I feel like there could be little clues thrown in there that I may have missed. 

I definitely agree that the governor, his brother and possibly someone in the task force has something to do with all of this. "There's big people that know about him. Big People". And what the hell is going on with Hart's daughter? Can't wait until next week's episode. 

Rewatched the first episode last night and two statements stuck out to me: one was Cole talking about how he keeps a ledger because there are so many details when you investigate the crimes that you never know when one you've forgotten about is going to solve the whole thing.  The other is Hart warning about focusing on a certain detail and then bending the narrative to fit the significance you assign to that detail.  Which lead me down this (probably stupid) road - what if the "True Detective" is us/the viewer?  There are a ton of details are thrown at us throughout this series so far that we keep assigning importance to (Cole's daughter's death, that creepy picture in episode 2, the Reverand, Hart's kids playing with dolls) and we keep bending the narrative to make those important.  What if the series is about how difficult it is to really be a detective?  We are so used to crime series that say "this is a clue" and then later we find out why it's important.  What if, the show is demonstrating how difficult it is to be given all these clues and not know what is important and what isn't?  What if half of it never ends up mattering at all, which is what ends up happening when you are a detective - some thing you think are important aren't at all and sometimes some detail you forgot about solves the whole thing?  I guess we'll see . . .

i was lightly browsing to see if there was a thread for this already. glad there is.

started this on friday night, got caught up yesterday afternoon, and i've already started from episode 1 again.

this show is just unfuckingbelievable. 

Rewatched the first episode last night and two statements stuck out to me: one was Cole talking about how he keeps a ledger because there are so many details when you investigate the crimes that you never know when one you've forgotten about is going to solve the whole thing. 

YES! the way he delivered it, especially, made me think that the line was incredibly significant.

I already need to go back and rewatch all the episodes.

I didn't catch that the sheriff from 1995 with the amber alerts was Childress, and one of the officers on guard when that prisoner killed himself was Officer Childress.

Good catch! I think I'm missing a lot because I can't fucking understand a lot of words due to the accents paired with mild hearing loss I've recently come to terms with. It's so frustrating. Going back to watch all the episodes now. I've missed so many clues from what I've read in this thread. I'm glad you guys are loving this show. I have to give credit to the retention guy I talked to while upgrading directv. He made me promise to watch the first episode as soon as we got off the phone.

theories, spoilers

to go along with all the chatter about the importance of kids, i've seen chatter of the older daughter being molested/raped by the wife's father at an early age. this would give credence to her drawings, barbies, and being captain of the slut team. you can even go back to marty being on the phone with him after the wife left saying "i know we've never seen eye to eye".. certainly not suggesting marty knew about transgressions, but it may explain some of the tension between them.

and after the way that they both lied about every last detail of the ledoux "standoff", it's clear that they've crafted an incredible cover-up.

they've briefly mentioned a fight that happened between the two that hasn't been covered yet- i think this stands to cause more rusty/maggie speculation- i don't think the affair will happen. just like rusty wasn't a killer. it was too obvious too early on.

they devised a plan to go their separate ways which would allow rusty to go deeper into this on his own, knowing there was no way to properly continue as a detective of the law. 

and while i'm entertained by the theories that he's just hallucinating all of this to make it fit his own agenda, i don't buy it. going back to the first episode, it just reinforces that chole is just damn good at what he does.

whatever though, i hope i'm wrong about every last word i just typed, because this show is incredible at making one's head spin.

the final scene of episode 4 was bonkers enough... but even more so was the fact that they were able to follow it up with EVERYTHING that happened in episode 5.

46176455.jpg