also the coverup of the Ledoux scene was fucking amazing.  especially as they were narrating their story over what happened, fucking so good.

They made a point in ep 4 to talk about all of Rust's undercover work. He mentioned he spent 4 years in Narco undercover when the average recommended time was less than a year (per Hart's conversation with him about it).

So maybe this whole alcoholic bartender who's given up on his past life is just an incredibly elaborate, self imposed undercover assignment to find out who these "big people" are that are involved.

Also, I need to go back and rewatch the first 5 episodes again I think. I completely missed the stuff with Hart's kids (except the scene with the drawing. I recall that scene but didn't put much weight on what she said).

I got caught up last night on the last two episodes. Damn. A lot of stuff to take in and speculate and create theories on. Most of what has been going through my head has already been mentioned here. Which is great that a few of us have the same line of thought.

I'm on the fence about Chole having slept with Maggie. He seems to abhor human contact as he has said that life is a disease and his whole diatribe about people and whatnot. It makes me question then why he's really trying then with that girlfriend we see him having. Her name escapes me right now. It's almost like he's trying to force a personal connection a la Dexter.

Just a guess.

I'm on the fence about Chole having slept with Maggie. He seems to abhor human contact as he has said that life is a disease and his whole diatribe about people and whatnot. It makes me question then why he's really trying then with that girlfriend we see him having. Her name escapes me right now. It's almost like he's trying to force a personal connection a la Dexter.

I agree with both of these thoughts. If Cohle slept with Maggie.. I don't think Hart would be wearing the wedding ring in the investigation, and I don't think that would simply have been a "falling out" that nobody knew more detail on.

We learned how great of liars they both are, I think the falling out is either something Cohle does to get seperation to get into the Cults undercover, or is something they have planned together.

Powerwatched the 5 episodes in 2 days. Seems like there are some theories in here I think are out there and with little justification. There's no way Cohle slept with Maggie and just nothing was said about it. Maybe it could still happen, but they have gone pretty far from showing a connection between those two over the last two episodes.

I didn't see anything too important in the lawnmower scene. I think they just had a couple lines in there to answer "why are you cutting the lawn off a school that is demolished." I think he was just there to set the stage with the school.

Anyone notice that when they were talking to the black preacher, they zoomed in on the cross that appeared to have at one time had Christ on it but it seemed to be removed? They zoomed in on it for a couple seconds.

Feel pretty confident Marty is going to lose one of his kids. It will be caused by the rebel but might be the normal one (say, the rebel invites the wrong guy over and things go wrong). I think that will also be the cause of the rift. Maybe Cohle pulls Marty away on the case and he blames him for not being there?

If they hadn't said Tuttle had died, he would be a prime suspect. Maybe one of the preachers they interviewed, one of the police leaders is going to be the leader of this cult (with Tuttle being a member) and the murderer. That's my guess.

Not sure what everyone else is thinking BUT:

I think Rust and Marty's fall out goes one or two ways. They either faked it with Rust going deep undercover, or they didn't and they end up working together again. Either way, they'll both end up back on the case in some form and I think what leads to the initial argument (which leads to the possible faux fall out) has something to do with Marty's daughter. 

Rust is showing himself to see who comes after him and how. His storage locker definitely has evidence of the case inside, something he's not willing to get up. This is a guy who can perform completely under the influence of narcotics. I think the whole drunk thing is just a cover for what he's really been doing. He's the TRUE DETECTIVE. 

The picture in the first (or second?) episode with five men around her, Marty's daughter has 5 men around her doll/banging the doll, and Rust with five of his can-men surrounding another. Sacrifice is a big theme here and either his daughter witnessed it or was involved in it, hence her being so fucked up later on in life. There's more to Marty talking about everything being right under his nose regarding his family when they're showing how fucked up she is. If that imagery wasn't there then I could see him genuinely talking about not realizing how important family is.

Pretty cool how the "black stars" literally framed Rust in the last shot of the last episode. No way he's the killer.

I don't think anything traumatic happened to the daughter as a young girl. She strayed off the path of normal, and Marty wasn't there to correct her. It started small (sexual drawings and the dolls), and grew into something bigger later.

I guess the key for me is that they have done nothing with a 3rd timeline. There's the case and the present, and the story is about how they meet. I can't seem them diving back into when Marty's kids are young again later.

I can't stop mulling over everything I've seen and read.

I like the one that was linked about rust setting himself up for crucifixion. I just don't think that person presented enough resolve.

Also thinking that while he's being interrogated, that he's not guilty of anything- yet. Where he will have his name cleared, and then finish off everything with a display similar to the original murder, where every last person behind everything is mutilated, posed.

And I also can't escape the thought of something supernatural happening. Maybe it's because of his hallucinations. Maybe it's because I haven't seen a show garner this much speculation since Lost.

Out of all the things I've read online, the one thing I can't stop thinking about is how when Rust asks Marty if he's ever hunted before while they're tracking Ledeoux, he answers that he's killed a 10 point buck recently.

The antlers that are on the girl from the first episode are from a 10 point buck.

Out of all the things I've read online, the one thing I can't stop thinking about is how when Rust asks Marty if he's ever hunted before while they're tracking Ledeoux, he answers that he's killed a 10 point buck recently.

The antlers that are on the girl from the first episode are from a 10 point buck.

Pretty sure the Sheriff that they went to talk to that blew off the amber alerts had a 10 point buck on the wall as well.

The thing that confused me when they are leaving the cook house with the 2 children. You see an ambulance and cop cars coming. No one saw Ginger all tied up in Cohles backseat?

Along the same lines, after the shootout scene where Cohle and Ginger get picked up by Marty and Marty speeds off.

A cop car drives right by them, that cop doesn't think anything of it and just keeps on driving?