PO: Strung Out Volume 1

kadaver

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/strung-out-premiere-tk.html

I stand by my earlier comments that these remixes/remasters sound far inferior to the originals.  I hated the mixes on Top Contenders, and these sound about the same.  I need to pick up copies of all the original mixes while they're still inexpensive.

I stand by my earlier comments that these remixes/remasters sound far inferior to the originals.  I hated the mixes on Top Contenders, and these sound about the same.  I need to pick up copies of all the original mixes while they're still inexpensive.

For the most part I was cool with Top Contenders save the STWB tracks. I don't think this is as bad, but still may feed the need to seek an original of at least that album. 

As much as I don't want to, I tend to agree with you.  Not everything about the new mixes is bad, but the gratuitous echo added to the end of vocal lines drives me nuts.  I'm actually surprised at how different some of the new mixes sound compared to the originals.  Maybe I notice it because I've listened to these songs so many times, but it seems like the Strung Out remixes are more drastic than most.  When I first listened to Top Contenders I thought some of the tracks had been re-recorded.

That said, I guess it's not the worst thing for super fans to have different sounding versions of these albums.  Some of the tracks sound different enough that it's almost like getting a new Jim Cherry recording.  It also means the Fat color represses of ADIP and TBD from a few years ago will still have an important place in the collections of Strung Out fans.

Oh man, I hope mine is waiting for me at home. Cant wait to see this thing in person.

its pretty sweet, sounds good too (listening to twisted now), the only thing that im slightly not stoked on is the color for twisted is so dark that you can't really tell unless its held up to light.

Spinning Suburban now. Really liking the new mixes. The guitars sound much fuller now. The boxset itself is gorgeous and the liner notes on the inserts are a nice touch. Agree with above about Twisted being a hard to tell kind of a thing, gotta hold it up to the light to see the swirl. Over all though its a pretty sweet set. Gonna watch the DVD later when I get a chance.

My box set arrived today, too. This set is badass! The colors chosen look amazing, those Twisted By Design does need to be held up to the light to fully appreciate it. The packaging is terrific, easily one of the better produced record(s) I own. Was there supposed to be a download card for The Skinny Years?