PO: Barren Womb "The sun's not yellow, it's chicken"

Hey VC crew-

We recently signed the Norwegian noise punk duo, Barren Womb.  We're really stoked about this band!  If you're a fan of Refused, Fugazi, Hot Snakes, The Hives, Frodus...or even Pig Destroyer, you might really dig what this band is doing.  The band's debut record, "The sun's not yellow, it's chicken," (which is actually a Bob Dylan reference), comes out March 11th.

We just launched a pre-order for the record and we're really proud of it.  Since the album features some pretty heavy "frog" imagery, we're putting out a cool variant that we're calling the "Frog's Eye" - which is essentially a pastel yellow with a black stripe through it.  We're also doing custom purple and multi-color splatter variants.

You can check out the first single "Kill Hicks" and all of the pre-order options here:

http://spr.tn/barrenwomb

Thanks for checking it out!

John / SPARTAN

variants_1000.jpg

Posted about these guys last week when I got the press release. Really dug the first track.

http://www.the1stfive.com/news/norwegian-hardcore-band-barren-womb-sign-to-spartan-records-new-album-out-on-march-11th

Thanks so much man.  We're excited to get some more songs out there.  I think it's really going to surprise a lot of people!

RULES. So glad you posted this. I saw something on Brooklyn vegan about these guys at the end of January (I guess when you announced their signing) and listened to Kill Hicks about six times in a row. Then I forgot to do anything else about it but pre-ordered as soon as I saw your thread this morning.

I don't usually preorder anything after only hearing one song, but that song is just so good, these guys have a great sound. I hear a little AN and MLIW influence, not to mention some pretty classic 70s punk but so much else going on too. Just really interesting, which I find pretty rare and more than good enough to take a chance on.

Also I saw on Facebook and bandcamp that you were sending out download links for Kill Hicks with preorders but didn't see that. Glitch or did you decide not to? No problem either way, thanks.

RULES. So glad you posted this. I saw something on Brooklyn vegan about these guys at the end of January (I guess when you announced their signing) and listened to Kill Hicks about six times in a row. Then I forgot to do anything else about it but pre-ordered as soon as I saw your thread this morning.

I don't usually preorder anything after only hearing one song, but that song is just so good, these guys have a great sound. I hear a little AN and MLIW influence, not to mention some pretty classic 70s punk but so much else going on too. Just really interesting, which I find pretty rare and more than good enough to take a chance on.

Also I saw on Facebook and bandcamp that you were sending out download links for Kill Hicks with preorders but didn't see that. Glitch or did you decide not to? No problem either way, thanks.

I can't thank you enough for posting this.  It's so gratifying to read!  Honestly, this is why we do this.  Some of the best times in my life have revolved around discovering and falling in love with a new band - and all of the memories that go hand in hand with the music after that. 

When you pre-order at the Spartan store or Bandcamp, you'll get a full download of the record sent to you on the release date (3/11).  If you pre-order digitally on iTunes, you get "Kill Hicks" instantly.  However, drop me an email ([email protected]) and I'll make sure you get a download of the song right away.

Thanks again for listening and thanks for the support.  The next track we release is going to be a lot different, so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.  Also, what's really amazing about these guys is that they are only a duo - guitar and drums.

Hey John, sent you an email. Thanks again, that's a real cool offer.

I've got a feeling the next track will sound great too. It's not really the style of music or genre that I like so much about Kill Hicks (though it's awesome) but again, I just find it really interesting. That's what I think is gonna hold true for the rest of this album. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Yo everyone!

For those of you following this album, we just launched something pretty neat that will enable you to listen to clips of every song on the record.  If you're on Instagram, head to the @listentobarrenwomb profile and follow the instructions.

If you liked the first song, this will definitely give you more of a gist of what the entire record is all about.  We're debuting another new song this week as well, so be on the lookout for that.

We're down to 10 copies of the "Frog's Eye" variant, so pick one up if you were at all interested in it.

http://spr.tn/barrenwomb

Thanks so much for all the support!

John / SPARTAN

Hey all,

On the heals of Tuesday's release, we just premiered another new song called "Evil prevails" today at MetalInsider.net.

http://www.metalinsider.net/new-music/song-premiere-barren-womb-prove-that-evil-prevails-with-new-song

Here's a sneak peak of all three variants.  Thanks for checking it out!

John / SPARTAN

2mcas1e.jpg

You can stream the full album today at Metal Injection!  Thanks for taking a listen.  All pre-orders are being packed up as we speak and shipping tomorrow!

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/full-album-stream/noise-makers-barren-womb-the-suns-not-yellow-its-chicken

John / SPARTAN

Seconded

Thanks guys.  Releasing a debut album from a band from Norway who doesn't have a big presence in the US is no small task...but Rome wasn't built in a day!  Thanks for the early support.  The best thing we could ask for at this point is that you tell other people about the band!

Received my record yesterday. So good! And ill third what others have said. Excellent packaging, beautiful wax, kick ass band. Job well done Spartan Records.

Thanks BigWaveDave!

Our "Frog's Eye" variant is sold out, but for those interested, we've got a killer multi-color splatter and custom purple available still.  Here's a peak at the splatter, which we're really stoked about.

ejwf8k.jpg