How to protect yourself as a Seller?

Hassenpepperinc

So, I've had a purchase for one of my high ticket records on discogs recently.  The buyer is in Mexico and has no discogs feedback and is not verified on paypal.  I've received my money for the record and had the customer transfer me a large sum to cover international shipping+insurance.

My question is this: The item that I'm selling has sold for 350+, I'm selling it for around 200 but I'm going to insure it for closer to 400 because if the buyer tries to screw me and start a claim on pp I will have the product and shipping covered.  Is that how it works? Would I be covered in case the buyer tries to be an asshole?

Worst case is he says he never got it. You refund the money. Then you try to file a claim with USPS and they say it wasn't damaged so you don't get any money. Then the person sells that record you gave him for free and starts his drug empire.

With all respect (and the fact that I don't know much about postage to Mexico or rules of USPS), isn't it a bit harsh to generalize this behavior to all Mexican people? Maybe he's just as guy as we are and looking forward to get a record he's seeking for a long time at a fair price?

I made the mistake to one time ship unregistered....never doing this again!

With all respect (and the fact that I don't know much about postage to Mexico or rules of USPS), isn't it a bit harsh to generalize this behavior to all Mexican people? Maybe he's just as guy as we are and looking forward to get a record he's seeking for a long time at a fair price?

I made the mistake to one time ship unregistered....never doing this again!

I don't think we're speaking ill of Mexican people specifically, it's just that shipping to Mexico (or any other country) creates another unnecessary opportunity to have a bad experience.  Unless you know the person, or they have overwhelming positive feedback, I'd say stick to the same country.

• 1 year later...

bumping a year+ old thread for a similar question.  anyone have a best practice for protecting yourself as a seller for high ticket items on discogs? assume selling domestically and to someone with all positive feedback but still, i worry a bit that the buyer could simply say the item he received is not the one he ordered and i would have no recourse.  insurance/delivery confirmation would be of no help here...the only thing i can think of is to take a picture or video of me sealing up the package but even then thats not proof of anything.

is this just a "seller beware" scenario?  ive never had a problem with this in the past, just thinking more and more about it recently.

no i get all that.  this is not about a specific record just something that ive thought about a lot lately.  heres how i envision a problem happening:  i pack and ship a record, registered and insured, and the buyer receives this record but claims its a different record in the package (as if I tried to scam him) and then demands his money back.  there is no recourse or protection that i can think of, short of one persons word against anothers.

Signature confirmation vs. Delivery confirmation takes care of that. (if buyer claims not the product/ they don't sign and it's returned to you - or, if they say *after* they have signed, it's their loss, scammer).

Signature confirmation requires the person -not spouse, neighbor, etc sign - and they always ask for my ID (not talking records here, not in that eschalon collecting), or  the USPS is on the hook. PP now requires Sig Conf on items greater than a certain amount for seller protection.

For *REALLY* valuable stuff, send registered mail. It's more expensive and slower, but a postal employee is on the hook every step of the way.  They really don't like when I send registered mail, drag their feet, roll the eyes, even try to ask "What is it?" I just answer: "nothing fragile, perishable, liquid, or potentially hazardous" vs. "none of your $#@! business" which is also an acceptable response, but they can get all passive aggressive about your taping job, holdup the line,etc.