Sound cutting out on one side

I'm not sure what's going on. But something is messed up with my system. The sound will randomly cut out on the right side. It's still playing but barely...... left side is fine.

The only thing that brings the right side back is disconnecting and reconecting the ground wire on the phono input on the amp. After a while it cuts out again :S

Please help me, this is driving me nuts!!

Any tips are appreciated.

It's wiring.

Either your cartridge wires aren't flush, speakers or cables between table>pre>amp aren't 100%

If possible, get a new set of RCA cables and test between the table and pre. Then test from pre to amp. Then test your speakers cable.

Unless your amp is gone, that's where the problem will lay

I've been having the same issue with my system. Pro-Ject TT and Pro-ject pre-amp.

Replaced all cables and still experiencing the issue.

Sounds like you guys are suggesting that the pre-amp is shot? Needs to be replaced? Or is there something that can be done to the pre-amp in order to fix the problem?

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm having a similar issue. It happened last night and today. One speaker kind of cuts out but not completely, and the other gets real loud like it's taking all the sound from the other side. Does this sound like a wiring issue or pre amp issue like the OP?

Debut Carbon >>> Yamaha as500>>>> wharfedale diamond 10.1s

For my setup i've determined that it's an issue with the amp itself. If I jiggle the phono input selector button there is a bunch of static that comes through the speakers. And if i get it juussst right, the sound comes out ballanced. But one nudge and the sounds cuts out on the right again.

I'll have to take the amp into a repair shop I guess...

@mpitts

I have a Philips Electronic 312 hooked up to a JVC A-X2 amp.

• 2 weeks later...

For my setup i've determined that it's an issue with the amp itself. If I jiggle the phono input selector button there is a bunch of static that comes through the speakers. And if i get it juussst right, the sound comes out ballanced. But one nudge and the sounds cuts out on the right again.

I'll have to take the amp into a repair shop I guess...

@mpitts

I have a Philips Electronic 312 hooked up to a JVC A-X2 amp.

My entire set up is very old, a hand me down from an older family friend. Had this issue ever since I got it. Quite frustrating until I figured out the solution. I literally wiggle the cables where they meet the amp a little bit until they get in the sweet spot. Once there they're usually good for that listening period but one time when I come back alter they'll randomly be out of whack again.

For the people having this issue, switch the phono connections around so the right is feeding the left channel.  See if the issue switches sides.  If it does, it's a probably something between the phono cables or turntable.  If it says on the same side, it's a probably between the phono preamp and the speakers.