PO: Eels - The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett

I agree with the shipping cost.  Go Merch is usually pretty good and they haven't announced that the site is actually "live" yet (I went to check on whether Blinking Lights box set was still on sale).  I'm guessing the "pre-sale" isn't live yet, as the Eels have not officially announced it yet either.  If you go to the UK merch section, it's only a half built site, so they must be tweaking the site and the announcement it's available will be soon coming......so I'd bet the shipping cost will do down, because the record is priced right at $16.  Plus, the 2nd LP is a bonus LP only available at Eels store and will surely sell out.

...but that Deluxe Bundle looks great...I want that poster!

I don't agree with $12 shipping, I was agreeing that it was "wack".  If you read the post, I said most likely the shipping will come down because I know Go Merch uses Media Mail and the actual website that I found to buy this off of isn't 100% completed...I found it by accident.  Once the Pre-sale is officially up, I'd bet they get the cost to ship this correct.

Watch out when using that GoMerch website now. I had a lot of problems, from logging in to my old account, to finally checking out with my alternate e-mail address.

It would not check out with my I-phone. Then when I finally checked out using my PC, I ended up inadvertently ordering 3 copies of the new vinyl, along with 3 copies of the "Live and In Person" CD/DVD.

If you must pre-order, I would recommend using a computer rather than an I-phone.

Love Mark's music, but his store website is not working as well as it has for me in the past.

I'm actually confused about what you get with the deluxe vinyl package.

It says it's 2 clear vinyl LPs plus a bonus disc. There are 13 songs on the album proper, certainly enough for a double LP.

So my question is, is the bonus disc another piece of vinyl or is it a CD, or are they cramming the whole thing onto the 2 LPs?

• 2 weeks later...

I say you are both right. 

First and foremost, I'd buy the deluxe edition.  If you like Eels, it's worth the money and a pretty fair price for the amout of swag you get. 

However, if you just want the record, the shipping cost is ridonkulous.  Media Mail would get the job done for $4.  With tracking it's still only $6 for media mail.  It's silly to charge $12 just to get it to you in a few days.  I think the whole point of preordering is so the company can send it to you earlier for a lower cost...we are talking about using Media Mail and sending if 5 days before the release date vs. $12 for sending it out 2 days before the release date.  Sure....it's only a few dollars...but clearly people notice this.

But I'd still buy the Deluxe Package if you know what is good for you!

If you are record flipper, Eels always hold value and Eels only release the colored variants in very limited numbers off their website, so get the double LP while you can, because it will be gone soon!

I'm new to the eels and I have no need for a shirt and a CD. I also don't have the money. I'd love the special edition clear LP but the shipping is over 50% of the cost of the album itself. 

Objectively they are in the wrong, and that's robbery for casual Eels fans that don't want to drop 50 bucks on an order.

...don't forget about the Lithograph!

Eels always release a standard black variant for wide release, so I bet you will find an online store like Amazon that will get you the record (just not clear and without the bonus second LP) at some point, so if shipping cost is your hang up, you'll have another option soon!

I'm with you on that....E doesn't like whiners and he WILL kick your ass.  It's a fact! Not fiction.

To quote E:

"Don't got a lot of time, don't give a damn, don't tell me what to do, I am the man"

-or-

"You little punks think you own this town, Well, someday someone's gonna run you down"

• 4 weeks later...

You should really consider picking up Blinking Lights and other revelations on vinyl at Eels shop.  I know this sound weird, but it's only $99 for four vinyl records, a nice book and a great packaging.  The record is a masterpiece and they found a few copies to release on the website recently.  When it came out, they were selling for over $200.

Once these are gone, they are gone...but the record is brilliant and worthy of the price!

• 2 weeks later...

You should really consider picking up Blinking Lights and other revelations on vinyl at Eels shop.  I know this sound weird, but it's only $99 for four vinyl records, a nice book and a great packaging.  The record is a masterpiece and they found a few copies to release on the website recently.  When it came out, they were selling for over $200.

Once these are gone, they are gone...but the record is brilliant and worthy of the price!

Blinking Lights is indeed a masterpiece, and I couldn't hit that order button fast enough when those boxsets appeared on the website!