technics sl-1600 audiophile? are automatic TTs good?

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I've been listening to vinyl now for about 3 years and I really love it. I have a pretty basic setup (pioneer pl-a45d TT / pioneer sa-5200 amp / and 4 speakers) and am trying to go to the next level slowly as I save money.

This is my question, I currently have an automatic turn table and I personally love the automatic starting and stopping. Are there no TTs that would be considered audiophile that are automatic? One thing that concerns me is sometimes (it's random, not all the time) I have a problem with shaking and not having super steady hands. I'd like to go get something great but personally I would like it to be automatic though I think I could deal with it if it weren't. I read some good things about the vintage technics SL-1600. Does anyone know if this TT is any good? Is it considered audiophile quality?

I was also considering about the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

Any thoughts / advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm actually trying to find (locally) a Technics 1700 mk2 right now... Lots of people really dig the Technics 1600-1700-1800 range and some even seem to prefer them over the 1200.  From what I've read your best off looking for a mk2 model.  As far as the 1600 being considered "audiophile", I'm sure you'll get opinions leaning both ways on that, but I don't think anyone's going to tell you its not a solid, good sounding table.  I would think that it shouldn't have any issue besting the project carbon. 

I have an SL-1300 (auto) and it's the bee's knees.

SL-1200-1800 are all built upon a similar chassis with various differences between the models( quartz/servo, manual, auto, semi, strobe, anti-skate, etc.) You can't really go wrong with any of those models, just depends on your needs.

A basic rule of thumb I've heard is 1300/1400/1500 are 1 design family and 1600/1700/1800 are another and the 1300-1500's are preferred. (and the SL-1200, of course)