PO: American Football - American Football (Deluxe Edition) 2X 180g LP - Polyvinyl Early Bird

Is it bad that I don't really like this album? I want to so bad, but I can't listen to it all the way through. I'll probably pick this up though, in hopes that it will grow on me, finally, and I can appreciate it for the masterpiece that it apparently is.

I don't want to make any assumptions about what you listen to, but I'll just say that I've had this album in my iTunes for years, and was pretty lukewarm about it for the longest time.  I added it to my MP3 library back in '06 or so, when I was all about Thrice / Circa Survive / Brand New / VC hype bands.  At the time, I just found the album to be too slow-paced... and the vocals didn't do a whole lot for me either.  No idea when or how that changed, but I've really come to appreciate it over the last few years in particular.  Definitely feel like I was late to the party, though.

I don't want to make any assumptions about what you listen to, but I'll just say that I've had this album in my iTunes for years, and was pretty lukewarm about it for the longest time.  I added it to my MP3 library back in '06 or so, when I was all about Thrice / Circa Survive / Brand New / VC hype bands.  At the time, I just found the album to be too slow-paced... and the vocals didn't do a whole lot for me either.  No idea when or how that changed, but I've really come to appreciate it over the last few years in particular.  Definitely feel like I was late to the party, though.

I'm glad to know that there's still hope for me! I started trying to get into this album back when Transit's "Listen and Forgive" came out because I was hearing about certain correlations. And I've attempted to revisit it many times since then, but it just hasn't stuck just yet. 

I'm glad to know that there's still hope for me! I started trying to get into this album back when Transit's "Listen and Forgive" came out because I was hearing about certain correlations. And I've attempted to revisit it many times since then, but it just hasn't stuck just yet. 

I would just suggest coming back to it every once in a while, or even revisiting it after other genres have clicked with you.  Thinking about it, I seem to recall the sort of mathy guitars being a big part of the initial appeal for me, at a time when I was getting into artists like Toe and Tera Melos.  (Who sound nothing like American Football, mind you.)

But any way you look at it, I think you've got the right idea: I'd secure a copy of this while you can, and worry about it growing on you at a later time.  If you just can't get into it, I'm 100% positive someone will be thrilled to buy it at cost from you.

Can't wait to hear this. Wish these guys would just do one more show. They could easily sell out Metro in Chicago. They only played a few dozen shows when they were originally a band, so barely anyone got to see them in the first place.

Also, anyone who is into this band needs to also be into Colossal. Totally different guys, but same vibe (and it features Rob Kellenberger of Slapstick/Tuesday on drums): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL27E89F150FA9BB91

Can't wait to hear this. Wish these guys would just do one more show. They could easily sell out Metro in Chicago. They only played a few dozen shows when they were originally a band, so barely anyone got to see them in the first place.

Also, anyone who is into this band needs to also be into Colossal. Totally different guys, but same vibe (and it features Rob Kellenberger of Slapstick/Tuesday on drums): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL27E89F150FA9BB91

LOVE colossal. Wish i owned WTP on vinyl but i can never find a good price for it or i miss out.

I will be picking this up hands down, i can never get enough AF.

• 2 weeks later...

American Football - American Football (Deluxe Edition) 2XLP
American__78025_std.jpg
Price: $25.99
Release Date: May 20, 2014

Vinyl Color: 180 Gram Red

Track Listing

Never Meant
The Summer Ends
Honestly?
For Sure
You Know I Should Be Leaving Soon
But the Regrets Are Killing Me
I'll See You When We're Both Not So Emotional
Stay Home
The One With The Wurlitzer
Intro [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]
Five Silent Miles [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997]
Untitled #1 (The One with the Trumpet) [boombox Practice Session, 1998]
Untitled #2 [boombox Practice Session, 1998]
Stay Home [boombox Practice Session, 1998]
Untitled #3 [boombox Practice Session, 1999]
Never Meant [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
But the Regrets Are Killing Me [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
I’ll See You When We’re Both Not So Emotional [4-Track Album Prep, 1999]
The 7’s [Live at the Blind Pig, Champaign, IL, 1997

Indeed. It'd be nice if all versions were 180 gram, regardless of their colorway.

I'd probably lose my shit for a coke-bottle green variant.

Don't polyvinyl do that with all their releases that have a 180g version?

Also, Polyvinyl will have their early bird variant which won't be this red one. Well, that would make sense to me based on what they usually do.