Skate and Surf 2014

billya

Soooo...Middletown is right next to my town. I will predict right now that this venue will be horrible for a Festival. I'll be really curious. Anyone coming from way out of town hit me up for hotel recommendations. If you know me - I have a guest room. I need to be up killer early on that Sunday though (see next). 

On another note May 18 is the Red Bank Triathlon so a) if you want to come cheer me on feel free and b. it means that in the morning roads in and out of Red Bank connecting to Middletown will be closed or restricted for the running portion of the race. Plan a proper route if you plan to get there early. 

Now, May 18 is also a huge day in that my Firehouse is dedicating our new Fire Truck - a gorgeous new Ladder Truck. Mechanic Street of Red Bank will be closed down from noon to 5pm and we will be serving beer and food to all comers. Want to come by and say hello? It's about a 10 minute drive from the venue and based on reports of last year I bet you'll have a better time with me at the firehouse than you will at Surf and Skate. 

I had no idea we were so close!  & Yes I agree that venue is going to be a shitshow and it's only going to be worse compounded with the triathlon.

also, FYF has no bands im interested in, so posting that festival for $100+ for two days. at least S&S has SOME bands im interested in, even if its way over priced..

Well that's a personal preference isn't it? No idea what music you listen to, but there's a lot of crowd favorites that play FYF, for $100 I would pay twice as much to see those bands.

I have always wanted to stay at the Berkeley in Asbury Park, so I may get a room there for the 17th.

That's only 10-15 minutes away from the venue, right? (too lazy to look up addresses and google map)

Closer to 20-25 minutes. Providing no bands start before 1pm you'll be fine with the expected traffic issues caused by the race between Middletown and Red Bank. You could skirt it all via the Parkway but what's the point. The Berkeley is cool if you like historic buildings - Asbury is certainly a better place to go out that night. THERE IS NOTHING to do in Middletown after that show except hit the Sonic next door to drink Limeades. 

I miss the Asbury Park of the early 2000's (before the revival). It was so fascinating and beautiful to me, in its on way. The Metropolitan, the skeletor building, the Skate Palace (before it got torn down).

I spent every weekend there. I got in the Skate Palace twice, once in 2001 when the skate bowl was still there, and once again when I got into the main back room, which was an incredible sight.

I miss the Asbury Park of the early 2000's (before the revival). It was so fascinating and beautiful to me, in its on way. The Metropolitan, the skeletor building, the Skate Palace (before it got torn down).

I spent every weekend there. I got in the Skate Palace twice, once in 2001 when the skate bowl was still there, and once again when I got into the main back room, which was an incredible sight.

YES I used to go there all the time back when it was all run down.

One of those lineups that usually looks really great. Love reading cool festival lineups like that, rather than nostalgia bait like S&S

It was a really fun fest, FYF puts on great shows throughout the year, and they usually give free stuff away at the door from leftover fest merch, like free tapes, shirts, and giant posters. I really love the work they do, it's getting more expensive, but hopefully it's always worth it. If you're ever in California you have to go

• 1 month later...

You know what's a bit screwed up about this? People in Middletown rescheduled a bunch of events for them. My kids' dance recital was cancelled and moved to a different weekend because Surf & Skate was permitted to use the parking lot at the place where the recital was. Now he's dancing on a weekend I'm away for work because I rescheduled my time around the original date. I'd fucking smack this organizer if I met him. 

You know what's a bit screwed up about this? People in Middletown rescheduled a bunch of events for them. My kids' dance recital was cancelled and moved to a different weekend because Surf & Skate was permitted to use the parking lot at the place where the recital was. Now he's dancing on a weekend I'm away for work because I rescheduled my time around the original date. I'd fucking smack this organizer if I met him. 

I think you should write a letter to the organizer demanding that he live stream (in crystal clear HD) the recital for you to watch while you're away! [and if he says no, two smacks]

Im honestly annoyed. I know it sounds small but little dude is stepping out in ballet where he's the only boy and he knows it. His Dad should be there in support and I am trying to make it so I can be in town. But people who can't get their shit together so that is wastes others time pisses me off royally.

I'm not a parent so I may not fully understand, but I have a niece and nephew that I attend every function for and know I would be pissed. It's not "small" and you have every right to be upset over it. I'm sorry you have to miss it.

It is really being handled poorly. I purchased a weekend pass and have gotten no notifications of a venue (and city) change - they simply changed the logo on their website, but haven't actually announced it at all, no e-mail to ticket purchasers or anything.

Sunday's line-up already lost DMX and the closing headliner.

What a shit show.