PO: Chiodos - Devil

thomas erak will rule on guitar on this album

That's what I thought. Then I heard these new songs and....let's just say my excitement has been gone down considerably. 3AM sounds like a straight up pop-punk song. Duct Tape sounds like Craig Owens, a generic hip-hop beat, Imagine Dragons and new Fall Out Boy thrown in a blender. Under Your Halo sounds like a bad Cinematic Sunrise song. I dunno, It's not bad, but it just doesn't sound like Chiodos to me. It's got me wondering just how integral Jason Hale was, because even Illuminaudio sounds more like Chiodos to me than these songs. Ole Fishlips is really good and Expensive Conversations in Cheap Motels sounds good live, but I don't get it. What's the point of having Thomas Erak in the band if you're not going to utilize him to the fullest?

Duct Tape, 3 AM, and Under Your Halo aren't representative of the whole album.  I like Duct Tape and 3 AM reminds me of Cin Sun a lot - under your halo is just a bad song.  

I'd say my favorite tracks are We're Talking About Practice, Looking For A Tornado, Behvis Bullock, I'm Awkward and Unusual and Expensive Conversations.  honestly I really like most of the songs on the album save for Under Your Halo but I've always been a weird Chiodos fanboy for some reason too.

I think they all just wanted to do something new and different instead of writing the same album twice. As for Thomas erak I think it's safe to say they were probably just looking for someone who was experienced and a good friend. They probably don't want to get too technical and do a FOT mashup. I'm sure the album will just be a grower for a lot of people.

I think they all just wanted to do something new and different instead of writing the same album twice. As for Thomas erak I think it's safe to say they were probably just looking for someone who was experienced and a good friend. They probably don't want to get too technical and do a FOT mashup. I'm sure the album will just be a grower for a lot of people.

exactly - this album definitely has some AWTEW and BPB influence (like today's premiere could easily fit in on Bone Palace) but they definitely try a few different things and songs like Duct Tape and even Under Your Halo are evident of that.  If you're a Chiodos fan (or a Craig Owens-fronted Chiodos fan) you will love this.  Erak contributes some stellar guitar work and some backing vocals but again this isn't a Fall of Troy album so you can't expect for him to just unleash crazy riffs.  there's no FCP Remix on here haha

I pre-ordered before I heard the new leaked songs. I used to be friends with the band so I always follow what they're doing even though they don't have the same impression on me these days. So far it sounds decent enough though. Guess I'll go listen to those other songs and see if I still feel that way haha.

Ah guhh I love Chiodos so much. They were my staple for getting through my first year of college. I have both Bone Palace Buffet and Alls Well on vinyl, but I'll definitely take a repress of the latter.

And $57 for the tour package is an unbelievable deal. Gonna get me that.

Between this and the Saosin news, it's been an awesome week for 20 year old me.

Just a heads up...dont go to ebay for old Chiodos LPs...

This is good to hear.  When MerchNow still had Bone Palace Ballet up a while ago, I ordered a copy when there were over 15 copies left and they cancelled a bunch of orders including mine because they oversold.  Been wanting to get my hands on it but not paying ebay prices.

This is good to hear. When MerchNow still had Bone Palace Ballet up a while ago, I ordered a copy when there were over 15 copies left and they cancelled a bunch of orders including mine because they oversold. Been wanting to get my hands on it but not paying ebay prices.

Same thing happened to me! I was so disappointed.

Duct Tape, 3 AM, and Under Your Halo aren't representative of the whole album.  I like Duct Tape and 3 AM reminds me of Cin Sun a lot - under your halo is just a bad song.  

I'd say my favorite tracks are We're Talking About Practice, Looking For A Tornado, Behvis Bullock, I'm Awkward and Unusual and Expensive Conversations.  honestly I really like most of the songs on the album save for Under Your Halo but I've always been a weird Chiodos fanboy for some reason too.

I do like 3AM even though it doesn't really sound like Chiodos to me, because it does sound like Cinematic Sunrise and also weirdly reminds me of New Found Glory. Under Your Halo and Duct Tape I just really don't like.  Behvis Bullock is alright.

And I don't expect anything FOT-like from Erak, I just expected the songs to be a little more riff heavy than they are. 

I'm also not that crazy about the lyrics. Craig's lyrics used to be so much richer, but on DRUGS and the songs that I've heard off Devil they're just more or less straightforward. 

Don't mean to be super negative, because I was beyond excited about this album two days ago. I'm still excited for it, just not really digging those songs.

I was super bummed with all 4 of those tracks. I really expected some progression after all this time and the inclusion of Erak but those 4 are just really bad. "Behvis Bullock" has some decent parts but overall it's just really sloppy. I felt bad but I actually cancelled my pre-order because I would honestly never listen to it and I'm not a flipper so I figured it would be one more available for someone that would actually enjoy it.