PO: Chiodos - Devil

• 3 weeks later...

To each their own I guess, I just feel like the band took a step back instrumentally from Illuminaudio. I think losing Jason Hale was a bigger deal than everyone thought.

Edit: don't get me wrong, the CDs not bad at all. I just had higher hopes after hearing fishlips and munsters, which are 2 of the best songs on there, munsters being my favorite. I'm just not into it when they experiment. 3AM, under your halo, and duct tape are all misses for me.

I had higher hopes for this as well after the first two songs that were released. I cannot believe this is what Thomas Erak joined the band to be playing. There is absolutely nothing done guitar wise to know that he's even in the band. If I didn't know he was I wouldn't have believed you if you told me after hearing the album. Whatever you think of the singing of Illuminaudio, if you listen to the guitar in the right speaker, it is constant riffs and shredding even when it is mixed to the back of the mix. I agree, losing Jason was apparently a bigger deal than we thought. And the bubblegum pop songs are just lame. This is a step back musically from Illuminaudio and it's better or worse vocally, lyrically, depending on where you stand on the whole Craig vs Brandon thing...

I wonder what variant amazon is gonna be selling. Haven't heard anything about just a black. Just this red and black and a hot topic exclusive color

I pre-ordered Bayside Cult from Best Buy before there was mention of a black variant & thats what it turned out to be, so I would guess it'll end up being black.

I think it's really good. It has a lot of variety and a different edge to it. I think it grew on me a lot more the second time around. Stoked to spin this

Same here. I really dig this album. I love the D.R.U.G.S. elements that were added to some of the tracks. Really solid release.

I'm so conflicted about this. Parts of it are really good, but parts of it are really not. Under Your Halo is okay, but the other two... weird songs are pretty awful. I think a lot of the people who enjoy Craig's old Chiodos were expecting something a lot better than what we got. He still shines in a lot of the parts and his screaming has gotten better compared to the older albums, but I was just expecting something very different than him trying to play all his different bands'/projects' sounds in one album. His vocals and lyrics weren't too terrible, at least it had some shining moments, but I'm still really underwhelmed and was hoping for more of the good lp' dark, horror-y vibes and Shakespearian quotations. :P

Musically is a whole different ball game. There was only one or two songs where I was like, hey, this sounds pretty good, instead of just listening. Illuminaudio had a lot of different inputs, though, didn't it? The drummer was different, the guitarist was different, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Honestly one of the things that stuck out to me in that album was the drumming, and like someone else mentioned, the guitar always playing really crazy riffs. I'm not all that inclined when it comes to the super technical aspects of the music, but it really seems like that album was much more... well, technical and put together much better than any of Chiodos' other albums, definitely including Devil, which feels dumbed down to me. Though, I think Craig is continuing to try to appeal to the kids getting into post-hardcore music these days who are listening to Issues, Woe Is Me, and a lot of the other metalcore meets pop bands out there. I dunno, though. I could be wrong on all of that.

I'm so conflicted about this. Parts of it are really good, but parts of it are really not. Under Your Halo is okay, but the other two... weird songs are pretty awful. I think a lot of the people who enjoy Craig's old Chiodos were expecting something a lot better than what we got. He still shines in a lot of the parts and his screaming has gotten better compared to the older albums, but I was just expecting something very different than him trying to play all his different bands'/projects' sounds in one album. His vocals and lyrics weren't too terrible, at least it had some shining moments, but I'm still really underwhelmed and was hoping for more of the good lp' dark, horror-y vibes and Shakespearian quotations. :P

Musically is a whole different ball game. There was only one or two songs where I was like, hey, this sounds pretty good, instead of just listening. Illuminaudio had a lot of different inputs, though, didn't it? The drummer was different, the guitarist was different, right? Correct me if I'm wrong. Honestly one of the things that stuck out to me in that album was the drumming, and like someone else mentioned, the guitar always playing really crazy riffs. I'm not all that inclined when it comes to the super technical aspects of the music, but it really seems like that album was much more... well, technical and put together much better than any of Chiodos' other albums, definitely including Devil, which feels dumbed down to me. Though, I think Craig is continuing to try to appeal to the kids getting into post-hardcore music these days who are listening to Issues, Woe Is Me, and a lot of the other metalcore meets pop bands out there. I dunno, though. I could be wrong on all of that.

From what I've heard on this new one the mixing is too bad to really make out how tech the guitars are without a proper listen, I think Alls Well.... might have some guitar parts on it that are more technical(definitely more wanky, the hot cross/the fall of tory pull off stuff sounds more complicated than it is) but Illuminaudio is absolutely without a doubt their best put together and most well written album. 

Owens is too loud, same problem with the new DGD. Acceptance Speech is so full of little teched out guitar tricks its insane but you can only hear like 1/3 of them without cranking it through some quality headphones. 

From what I've heard on this new one the mixing is too bad to really make out how tech the guitars are without a proper listen, I think Alls Well.... might have some guitar parts on it that are more technical(definitely more wanky, the hot cross/the fall of tory pull off stuff sounds more complicated than it is) but Illuminaudio is absolutely without a doubt their best put together and most well written album.

Owens is too loud, same problem with the new DGD. Acceptance Speech is so full of little teched out guitar tricks its insane but you can only hear like 1/3 of them without cranking it through some quality headphones.

I'll definitely agree with you on all the points in this post. Especially that Craig is too loud on this, and Tilian/Jon are too loud on Acceptance Speech. I don't know about Childos, but DGD used a different producer and even though Kris mixed them, it's still very different. I still think the producer was intimated by how different Tilian's voice is and wasn't sure how he needed to do it. I think their next album is going to be much more well-done once the guys settle in with Tilian, and they said they might use Kris to record with again.