Soundgarden - Superunknown DLP coming soon

I take In Utero as a whole different project, the label brought Albini back to the board, gave him control along with Krist & Grohl and you know you'd be getting something special and genuine from that. It was actually used as a sale argument by the label. If they charged whatever more (and they did), at least there was a reason behind, although one can argue if the final price was fair even though.

But all those recent MOV reissues (FNM, STP, Temple Of The Dog), on the other hand, were pushed out of reasonability pricewise... They are clearly profiting on recordings from an era when vinyl wasn't priority and became rarities during today's renaissance. Consider buyers in their 30~40 y.o. with regular income and aware that original pressings are rare to come across and usually object of eBay pricing, a reissue sounds interesting. But MOV and major labels don't mention what kind of remastering work was put onto those reissues, neither the bands seem active during the process, which totally put those releases into question.

The MOV guys are completely forthright with how the recordings were sourced. Drop them a line through their website.  They have always gotten back to me.

Yes it's expensive. But how many people dropped $50 for the temple of the dog reissue? I'm not trying to justify it, but Christ this is a stellar album.

That album is also their only album released so it's a bit different. If they did this with every Soundgarden release, they would be millionaires by next week.

ca. 2 x cheaper for people in Europe, considering the free shipping on amazon.uk - this is a good deal...I don't know if amazon.uk has free shiping to usa as well, if not - wait for the preorder on amazon.com. And is 40$ really that much for a record? that is pretty much standard price for a vinyl for a person living in europe and ordering from US (15-20$ for a record + 20-25$ for shipping...) I know it should be less expensive, but it's not THAT much to complain so much...Anyway, lets just hope the sound on this one will be worth the price.

You guys are complaining about Music On Vinyl, while missing a few major points:

1) They're an import label, so no U.S. store can afford to sell these for $20 due to the shipping charges.

2) Their latest batch of reissues have been pretty stellar in terms of sound quality (TOTD, Brand New, and Chris Whitley are just the ones I can vouch for). All noticeable improvements over the original presses.

3) All their reissues tend to be OOP titles that regularly go for $100-200 in the secondary market.

4) You're gonna pay a little more to get the limited color presses, as those sell out and wind up being worth money. (Although I paid $27 total for the purple press of Purple, which seems fair. And $40 for the red press of Brand New which is easily over $100 now.)

5) If you just want the regular black presses, wait a few months. Most of these sell for $25 or under after a while, which seems reasonable for a high-quality import press. Best Buy, for instance, was selling one of the MOV Faith No More albums for $20 recently.

And that being said... I have no problem sitting on this Soundgarden repress until the price drops to a reasonable level ($30 or less?) which should definitely happen before Christmas. Not like this is gonna be limited or anything. And if the reviews come back and SQ sucks, then I'll just save my money and skip it altogether.

ca. 2 x cheaper for people in Europe, considering the free shipping on amazon.uk - this is a good deal...I don't know if amazon.uk has free shiping to usa as well, if not - wait for the preorder on amazon.com. And is 40$ really that much for a record? that is pretty much standard price for a vinyl for a person living in europe and ordering from US (15-20$ for a record + 20-25$ for shipping...) I know it should be less expensive, but it's not THAT much to complain so much...Anyway, lets just hope the sound on this one will be worth the price.

The problem isn't that $40 is too much for something that is being shipped from the UK. The problem is that the domestic release should be less expensive than the import. The fact that the import is a cheaper option, is a huge slap in the face.

YES. $40 is TOO MUCH for a US resident to pay for an album that is owned by a US record label and which is available in the US.

YES. 70ppd is TOO MUCH for the domestic version of the release being purchased domestically.

I'm not the one who down voted you but I'm quite certain the down vote was for this comment:

The answer is yes.

I live in Poland. The average sallary here is less than 40% of the average sallary in usa. So basically, spending 40$ for a record for US citizen is same as spending 100$ in here. What is a good price for you? 20$? comparing the salaries again, 20$ for me would be like spendin 8$ for you. If new records would cost me ~ 8$, I would go to a record store every week and probably buy more than i can cary....I now u don't give a fuck about prices in other countries, but next time you complain about them, think about the poor bastards like me in Poland ;) I don't mean to be rude - I'm just sayin - there are people that are screwed wayyy much more than you, and they deal with it ;) always look at the briiight sidee of lifeee...;)

I live in Poland. The average sallary here is less than 40% of the average sallary in usa. So basically, spending 40$ for a record for US citizen is same as spending 100$ in here. What is a good price for you? 20$? comparing the salaries again, 20$ for me would be like spendin 8$ for you. If new records would cost me ~ 8$, I would go to a record store every week and probably buy more than i can cary....I now u don't give a fuck about prices in other countries, but next time you complain about them, think about the poor bastards like me in Poland ;) I don't mean to be rude - I'm just sayin - there are people that are screwed wayyy much more than you, and they deal with it ;) always look at the briiight sidee of lifeee... ;)

yeah, that sucks and everything, but again, this is NOT justification for the record label to jack up the price for a product that should be priced at half of this.