PO: NK (North Korea) Basement Tapes Vol. 1&2

Available for pre-order at 12:00pm EST on Tuesday, March 4th 2014 is the first pressing of North Korea's Basement Tapes Vol. 1 & 2 on 12" vinyl + T Shirt bundle. This vinyl is pressed at 45rpm for optimal sound quality.

Only 300 are being made total and will all be random unique colors.

Shipping April 1st 2014.

This exclusive offer from NK comes with a limited edition "Don't Call Us Joneses" T Shirt (100 total will be made).

The remaining 200 vinyl will be sold exclusively through Enjoy The Ride Records ( http://enjoytheride.storenvy.com ) in late March.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine in. the record sounds absolutely stunning. however the packaging.....is ....well... non existent? i don't know what gave me the impression that this would come in a proper jacket, maybe this has been known the whole time and i just missed it.  However I feel like for 20ppd we'd get something a bit more than black sleeve. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "fuck ETR!" because I've never ever had an issue with ross. he's actually been a very nice dude in the past. I just feel like i could have gotten a bit more bang for my buck.  

is this just an attempt to like, make it seem like a bootleg of sorts? 

Edit: yea i see the pictures, but something in my head made me assume there was more to it. 

Just got mine in. the record sounds absolutely stunning. however the packaging.....is ....well... non existent? i don't know what gave me the impression that this would come in a proper jacket, maybe this has been known the whole time and i just missed it.  However I feel like for 20ppd we'd get something a bit more than black sleeve. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "fuck ETR!" because I've never ever had an issue with ross. he's actually been a very nice dude in the past. I just feel like i could have gotten a bit more bang for my buck.  

Edit: yea i see the pictures, but something in my head made me assume there was more to it.

Was wondering the same, and at that price point it's a hard argument. Reminds me of that whole heavens "patent pending" fiasco. But honestly the record sounds SOO fucking proper.I might get a custom silkscreen sleeve down the line.

Was wondering the same, and at that price point it's a hard argument. Reminds me of that whole heavens "patent pending" fiasco. But honestly the record sounds SOO fucking proper.I might get a custom silkscreen sleeve down the line.

I don't release records so I don't know but I've paid that much, from an indie label, and a lower run. For a record with a full color jacket insert etc. I'm not like PISSED, mainly because of the great sound quality. I'm more curious about this decision than anything.

I understand and mean no disrespect in my response nor was I trying to mislead anyone but below are the reasons

1) no artwork was ever created since these ep's were previously only available for free as a download

2) The band wanted it done this way to stick with the theme of "the basement tapes"

3) The pressing was ONLY 300 copies and as you are likely aware, vinyl pricing is very dependent on the amount of copies pressed to dictate the cost 

4) We almost ALWAYS show the artwork which is included in the packaging and/or mention if the release comes with lyrics in the PO images and no where was any other artwork mentioned other than the center labels 

5) In regards to the cost, They are cheaper than any single Lp that we have released in the past 3 years AND comes with a digital download of the album which people often complain about

I don't release records so I don't know but I've paid that much, from an indie label, and a lower run. For a record with a full color jacket insert etc. I'm not like PISSED, mainly because of the great sound quality. I'm more curious about this decision than anything.

See above and out of curiosity where have you seen any lower run than 300 12"s?  Not talking about a variant out of 300 or less but the entire pressing?  

Most plants in this country do not press anything lower than that or at least suggest again it because it will cost an absurd amount per record considering most of the initial cost is making of the mechanical parts

I understand and mean no disrespect in my response nor was I trying to mislead anyone but below are the reasons

1) no artwork was ever created since these ep's were previously only available for free as a download

2) The band wanted it done this way to stick with the theme of "the basement tapes"

3) The pressing was ONLY 300 copies and as you are likely aware, vinyl pricing is very dependent on the amount of copies pressed to dictate the cost

4) We ALWAYS show the vinyl cover art & usually mention if it is gatefold and/or comes with lyrics in the PO images and no where was any other artwork mentioned other than the center labels

5) In regards to the cost, They are cheaper than any single Lp that we have released in the past 3 years AND comes with a digital download of the album which people often complain about

Sweet. That answers it then. Makes sense. I was just a bit surprised. Didn't want to come out swinging and make a bunch of assumptions. Appreciate the response my good man

See above and out of curiosity where have you seen any lower run than 300 12"s? Not talking about a variant out of 300 or less but the entire pressing?

Most plants in this country do not press anything lower than that or at least suggest again it because it will cost an absurd amount per record considering most of the initial cost is making of the mechanical parts

Don't get me wrong it wasn't like a run of 100. It was like 250 or some shit. Granted it was like a few years ago so ya know... Things have changed I suppose.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't like a run of 100. It was like 250 or some shit. Granted it was like a few years ago so ya know... Things have changed I suppose.

Some plants do have specials for 100 records but like I said they are extremely expensive per record at cost and ive never seen anyone press just 100 although I am sure it has been done & usually those come in a dj sleeve like this release

Sweet. That answers it then. Makes sense. I was just a bit surprised. Didn't want to come out swinging and make a bunch of assumptions. Appreciate the response my good man

All good, I just wanted to set the record straight. They sound awesome & the random color mix thing worked out way cooler and better than i expected so in my opinion I am very happy with how this release came out & I hope other are as well

4) We almost ALWAYS show the artwork which is included in the packaging and/or mention if the release comes with lyrics in the PO images and no where was any other artwork mentioned other than the center labels 

Just out of curiosity, does that whole "every record is a different variant" thing cost a lot more to press too?

See above and out of curiosity where have you seen any lower run than 300 12"s?  Not talking about a variant out of 300 or less but the entire pressing?  

Wasn't super recent or a huge band but if you are genuinely curious I'm pretty sure The Rum Diary released We're Afraid of Heights on vinyl in an edition of /100, always struck me as odd given that is by far my favorite album of theirs. not meant to make any point in regard to this thread, but that's the one that jumps to mind lol. 

Just out of curiosity, does that whole "every record is a different variant" thing cost a lot more to press too?

No, it is actually cheaper than standard black from this plant which was the only reason that I was able to press this record. It was more of a passion project since I know some of the guys in the band and to be honest, these are not selling very well considering how good the music is...the band has only played 15 shows and almost all of which have been east coast so that is primarily the issue although i was hoping that by promoting it and including a free download that more people would check them out and pick one up