Is it me, or did VC undergo a shift in taste?

moonbeams

If I want to listen to an album now just because I used to listen to it when I was about 14 then I'll listen to the CD I actually bought at the time, rather than spend £20+ for the sake of nostalgia. 

Yep. But I wish I had been buying records from high school on. I have a lot of worthless cds that would be vinyl gems if I had the original pressings.

Yep. But I wish I had been buying records from high school on. I have a lot of worthless cds that would be vinyl gems if I had the original pressings.

Yeah I totally understand that. I was lucky in that I did start buying records in high school, but mostly used stuff. I was also broke a lot of the time so stuff that's worth a lot more now passed me buy (Aphex Twin - drukqs 4xLP set for £20 in a local stall). There's also the aspect of CD portability. Aged 14 I could take my favourite albums with my in the car, on holiday, to my friends' houses (who didn't have turntables) etc. Collecting vinyl seriously at that age wasn't an option for me. 

Also there's something to be said about buying original presses of important high school/youth records now. Hunting them down, finding that at random, whatever (stoked when I found the TVT press of Pretty Hate Machine). I just don't get the whole "I have to buy the repress because I liked that album when I was younger"

Both are lame. Don't blame liking a juvenile record on nostalgia.

What I was referring to the feelings of nostalgia take on a whole new level as one gets older. You're living your early 20s now and are not so far detached from the memories of your early youth. This will change, you will forget your childhood and one day your 20s. Music from that time period can help the once forgotten memories to resurface.

OK, I'm breaking out old school Moonbeams for this one.

Memories are solidified into long term memory (LTM) through a process called long term potentiation (LTP) which works when repeated exposure to a set of stimuli creates stronger synaptic connection between neurons. In the process of LTP, AMPA receptors increase on dendritic spines and strengthen the synaptic connection. The next step is the budding of new axonal processes. These strong synaptic connections make it easier to recall a memory. Likewise, long term depression (LTD) is the attenuation of synapses which results in the loss of memories.

Hebb's Law states that neurons that are wired together fire together. Memories are strengthened by third party associations and this is where our beloved music comes into play. Songs that we were either listening to or thinking about during certain important times of our past will strengthen the recall of memories when listened to in the present. There you have it, the (greatly simplified) neuroscience of nostalgia.

If I want to listen to an album now just because I used to listen to it when I was about 14 then I'll listen to the CD I actually bought at the time, rather than spend £20+ for the sake of nostalgia. 

This argument makes no sense. If I want to listen to a record, that would mean I have an interest in listening to it. Because I want to listen to it, I would buy it. I think we all agree that vinyl is a superior listening format, that's why we're here, right?

Hebb's Law states that neurons that are wired together fire together. Memories are strengthened by third party associations and this is where our beloved music comes into play. Songs that we were either listening to or thinking about during certain important times of our past will strengthen the recall of memories when listened to in the present. There you have it, the (greatly simplified) neuroscience of nostalgia.

82s3prqb.jpg

It has to be exhausting to be upset about album represses/reissues. These 'labels' know where their bread is buttered so don't expect it to stop anytime in the immediate future. Continue to not buy them, it's more effective than complaining.

I haven't been here very long, but I definitely don't have the same taste as a lot other posters. But I know there's quite a few other punks on here, we need to get it together and take the board back. Blink 182 sucks. Let's talk about Fugazi.

Or just wait a couple of years when vinyl stops being popular, there will be half as many posters and no one will remember what a touche amore is.

What if Blink 182 and Touche Amore fans are the only ones still buying vinyl in a few years and everyone forgets who Fugazi and Streetlight Manifesto are? Will you go crazy?

What if Blink 182 and Touche Amore fans are the only ones still buying vinyl in a few years and everyone forgets who Fugazi and Streetlight Manifesto are? Will you go crazy?

Haha no no. And I mean, Fugazi has been around selling records for almost 30 years and they're still one of the most well respected bands in independent music. I see what you're saying but I think it's a moot point in that specific case.

lol 'take the board back'?

tumblr_inline_mgnf7cu34p1qd76d3.gif

That was a joke haha. I haven't even been here long enough to have ever "had the board" in the first place!

You know when this board will talk about Fugazi? Never.

Ian and Discord will never gouge their fans. there willl never be 85 swirl pressings or music sublicensed to RJ Part 2. There is nothing but music and that will never get the attention it deserves from 16 year old Pokemon collectors.

You know when this board will talk about Fugazi? Never.

Ian and Discord will never gouge their fans. there willl never be 85 swirl pressings or music sublicensed to RJ Part 2. There is nothing but music and that will never get the attention it deserves from 16 year old Pokemon collectors.

Yup!

edit: I love Pokemon