Recurring Merchnow Shipping Issues, Damage

doomcreep

I've purchased records consistently from quite a few different labels and distros and rarely will I have a record arrive in bad shape or have some other type of problem with the order, but today marks the fourth time I've had a problem with Merchnow in the past 6 months or so and I was wondering if this is a recurring thing that any of you have experienced with them.

The first time, I received the wrong order entirely. The second time was my A Lot Like Birds' No Place that came with a spine seam split completely obscuring the name/title. The third time was a few weeks ago when I received Gnarwolves' new LP with a smashed corner and a 3 and a half inch (!) seam split across the top. They were immediately apologetic and sent out a replacement which I received today...with another seam split...

I've purchased records consistently from quite a few different labels and distros and rarely will I have a record arrive in bad shape or have some other type of problem with the order, but today marks the fourth time I've had a problem with Merchnow in the past 6 months or so and I was wondering if this is a recurring thing that any of you have experienced with them.

The first time, I received the wrong order entirely. The second time was my A Lot Like Birds' No Place that came with a spine seam split completely obscuring the name/title. The third time was a few weeks ago when I received Gnarwolves' new LP with a smashed corner and a 3 and a half inch (!) seam split across the top. They were immediately apologetic and sent out a replacement which I received today...with another seam split...

I've ordered from them a few times with zero issues. I wonder if it has more to do with your mail handlers, obviously not the wrong order but the rest sound like they've been tossed around by the sorters and delivery guys in your area.

I guess that doesn't entirely explain why it doesn't happen with orders from other places though.

I was thinking that could be it, too. It doesn't feel too bad really but the record is pretty tight in the jacket. It could just be cut a little bigger maybe. The first time, I reported it to them because they didn't package it worth a damn. Not even so much as a cardboard insert and the corner was crushed badly like I said. This one isn't nearly as bad as the first so I don't mind as much but seam splits are devastating to me haha.

All I know is the records they ship are almost 100% of the time shrink-wrapped, so every single LP I've ever ordered from them has had a inch, inch-and-a-half seam split either on the top of the jacket, on the spine, or both. It's really unfortunate.

Their packaging has always been fine for me, but the seam splits seam to be unavoidable.

I've ordered from them a few times with zero issues. I wonder if it has more to do with your mail handlers, obviously not the wrong order but the rest sound like they've been tossed around by the sorters and delivery guys in your area.

I guess that doesn't entirely explain why it doesn't happen with orders from other places though.

Could be, but yeah, again, besides a few select orders through eBay, I never have any issues and I've bought 150 records or so in the past year so that's why I was curious.

All I know is the records they ship are almost 100% of the time shrink-wrapped, so every single LP I've ever ordered from them has had a inch, inch-and-a-half seam split either on the top of the jacket, on the spine, or both. It's really unfortunate.

Their packaging has always been fine for me, but the seam splits seam to be unavoidable.

Hmm...that is truly unfortunate. I know I've ordered at least a few from them that had no issues but the last handful or so have had problems. It's just weird because apart from when I order from smaller labels, most of my records come shrinkwrapped and I can't recall any obvious seam splits. Oh well I guess. Thanks for your responses, guys.

maybe the records are just sharp, I've never been one to care for seam splits though. Only if the record is warped do I have an issues and contact the company/distros/label.

I forget which release it was but most had seam splits because the edges were just so sharp lol

Using records as home-defense tools.