Sony PS-LX57 - thoughts?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a Sony PS-LX57 that a family member of mine owns, and I'm wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I did a load of searching around the forums and the only mention of it I saw was a guy asking a question about a similar turntable's stylus, so I hope I'm not committing any capital offense by starting this thread. [Fingers crossed]

I'm currently using an Audio-Technica AT-PL50, which is probably doing my records more harm than good. It's run through some shit Panasonic stereo (SA-PM91D) and out through some equally shitty Panasonic speakers, which don't appear to even have a model name/number on them. The Audio-Technica has a built-in preamp, I think. 

So, for the low-low price of potentially free, I'd probably be doing myself a service by upgrading to the Sony. I had been thinking about saving up my money for a Debut Carbon, but if the Sony will suit my needs (basically spinning NOFX records), I can put that money toward a preamp, monitor, speakers, more NOFX records, whatever.

Anybody have any thoughts or advice on this? Thanks in advance. If/when I upgrade, what sort of monitor should I go for, etc.

Firstly are you sure you have the number right? I can find 51, 52 and 56 but not 57.

That said all of those look of similar quality to your AT if a little bit better so unless the 57 is a lot different yes it would be an upgrade but not anywhere near Project standards.

The big things to look at are:

can you replace the whole cartridge with something else?

can you adjust the tracking weight?

does it have a metal platter?

Thanks for the info!

The cartridge looks like it can be replaced, but I'm not really knowledgeable in this field so I'm not sure. I don't see anything indicating whether I can adjust tracking weight, so probably no on that. The platter is metal (not very solid, with circular holes machined through it like my AT) with a rubber slipmat.

I was also confused by how little information there is on this specific model. Here's a picture, though:

vxWPzun.jpg

Ok

P mount is ok if limited in choice now but there are one or two, one more question, does the arm pivot like normal or move along a track? Some of the Son'ys had a thing called a tangenital arm which means it in theory tracks better than a normal tonearm. It was used as a bit of a gimmick and is a bugger to set the weight on but if it has got one then it's a good step up from your AT

Ok

P mount is ok if limited in choice now but there are one or two, one more question, does the arm pivot like normal or move along a track? Some of the Son'ys had a thing called a tangenital arm which means it in theory tracks better than a normal tonearm. It was used as a bit of a gimmick and is a bugger to set the weight on but if it has got one then it's a good step up from your AT

Yeah from the looks of it, this table has a linear arm system, which a bit different from the traditional arm system.  I always say free is worth it, at least to try it out.  Here are some pics of it that I found on Audio Karma.  One issue they talked about with this specific one is that the tonearm its self has a motor/belt underneath it because of how it moves, and a few people talked about it not moving all the way to the end of the record.  

CIMG5707_zps8fe2ead5.jpg

CIMG5709_zps3579d4d8.jpg

Is this what the player is looking like?

Ok

Well when it's working that's a good thing and if it's malfunctioning hopefully it's just dirty sensors.

Its probably not a great example of the breed as there seemed to be a fashion for them when yours was made and it was a bit of having the name on the box to sell them but it should be an improvement on your AT.

If you are going to clean anything in there I would take a lot if care though as I expect things are pretty fragile in there.