Tell your funny 'Vinyl Noob' story

I thought it might be fun to share stupid/funny moments we've had when we first discovered vinyl records and weren't as knowledgable as we are now. Here's mine:

About two weeks after I developed a passion for vinyl, I ran across an excellent condition copy of The Beatles' 'Yesterday and Today' at a garage sale for $5. Not knowing that the cover art back then was often pasted on (it was visible that the art was pasted on), I thought for a few days that I had purchased a Butcher cover album with a paste-over. Needless to say a quick showing of it to a knowledgable friend killed that pretty quickly...though I guess $5 for an excellent condition copy of the album is still a steal.

What's yours?

Am I the only one that hates the word "passion?" It just makes things seem so disingenuous to me. Ugh. It's probably just me, but... ugh.

I have no vinyl noob story. I've been doing shit right since the 90's, son.

So you came out the womb knowing all about them vinyulls?

Growing up the one thing that I always remembered about records was that a purple die die my darling was worth a lot of money.

Me being 11-12 years old I thought it was just because it was purple and not black.

I found a purple copy of a samiam record for $10 and bought it immediately thinking it was worth a ton.

Still have it. Haha

I've got two AWESOME ones.

First, my Crosley had a wobbly platter, so I thought it would be a good idea to jam a cloth in between the platter and the casing of the player. The gears that spin the platter caught on to the cloth and pulled the "stylus" across the record, destroying it.

Second, my first record was "No Devolucion" by Thursday. It has a side D etching. I couldn't understand why it wouldn't play.

Awesome.

This isn't that out there but I bought an Elvis Costello boot from a record store, got home, looked at the labels and it was some shit like "mega hits of the 60s." Went back to the store bitched and threw a fit to the guy working the counter, but he wouldn't give me a refund. Just said store had a no refund policy.

Get home, pissed, think what the hell I'll throw it on. Hear Elvis Costello start jamming. Had no idea that boots sometimes disguise their labels for whatever reason.

First, my Crosley had a wobbly platter, so I thought it would be a good idea to jam a cloth in between the platter and the casing of the player. The gears that spin the platter caught on to the cloth and pulled the "stylus" across the record, destroying it.

Nice. I can't be the only one dying to know which record it was, though. Hopefully nothing too irreplaceable.

The first time I accidentally played a 45 RPM 12" at 33 RPM is what immediately comes to mind for me. It took me longer than I would like to admit, to figure out what was wrong.

^My girlfriend did a similar thing. She tried playing the B-side of one of my one-sided records and when the stylus went straight to the end she freaked out thinking she broke my record player  :lol:

I did this, too - and on a friend's Crosley, which at the time I thought were super cool and vintage. First thought was that I broke his record player, second was that I'm a fucking idiot. 

The needle wore out on my turntable, so I shoved a sewing needle into the cartridge in place of it. It worked in the sense that it played the record and produced sound over the speakers, but today I shudder at the thought of it. I was probably 11 or so. I'm pretty sure I only ruined a couple of techno/house 12" singles I had using that rig.

Nice. I can't be the only one dying to know which record it was, though. Hopefully nothing too irreplaceable.

The first time I accidentally played a 45 RPM 12" at 33 RPM is what immediately comes to mind for me. It took me longer than I would like to admit, to figure out what was wrong.

It was "Where You Want To Be" on green wax.

I moved my record played, amp, and shelving to another side of the living room, I accidentally bumped the switch to direct other than phono so when I played a record it sounded like shit. I was convinced I somehow damaged my needle in the move so I bought a new higher end cartridge to upgrade/fix the issue. After installation I had the same problem, I unhooked everything and then noticed that happened. Didn't tell my wife that.

In order for me to play my first record I had to take apart my dads old record player from the 70s and figure out how to get it to spin at a steady rate. After going through that and doing it right (I don't know how it happened, probably magic) I made damn sure that I knew how the rest of the process worked properly. I have no story, sorry.