What was the first record you ever bought?

La Dispute - Here, Hear II. Chris posted online somewhere that he found some copies of it and put them up in the store for $5. I was in the middle of an e-mail conversation with him about some CDs or a hoodie I ordered and I figured I'd ask him to add one of them to my order.

Or it was the Trophy Scars/The Saddest Landscape split. I don't think I had a record player, but I wanted a copy so I signed up for Paypal and got $5 free credit which justified purchasing a record when I didn't own a turntable.

Bought a CD and inside was a little mail order sheet from No Idea Records.  It was 1999 and I was 14 and gave my mom some cash and she cut a check for me.  A few weeks later "Less Than Jake -- Losers, Kings and Things We Don't Understand LP" and "Less Than Jake -- Mixology Of Tom Collins 5" arrived at the door.  Took me until 2005 to finally play the 5" since all I had was a all in one fully automatic table and it couldn't play that close to the spindle without kicking it back thinking the LP or 7" was over.

hahaha pac man fever is a great record. my first purchase, that I can remember, was at a local store called Eastside Records and was the first EP by The Bled, the single sided spray painted cover one with the original vocalist. Was obsessed with them at that point and just had to have it, even though I had no record player at the time, heh

• 2 weeks later...

The "Bodycount at Tyrone's" R.E.M. bootleg LP (or some similar R.E.M. bootleg).  Was (and still am) a huge R.E.M. fan and wasn't really into vinyl growing up, but I saw this at the old BJ Records in Iowa City (RIP) and bought it and several other R.E.M. boots before graduating to more legit vinyl releases.

Brandnew -- "Your Favorite Weapon"  on translucent blue

was waaaay into Taking Back Sunday and Brandnew at the time.   they toured together, i went.  I purchased the Brandnew LP for the bonus track "My Nine Rides Shotgun" (which turned out to be a completely worthless song).  The day after the show I went to my Grandmother's house and snagged her old MCS Turntable, Receiver, and Speakers and played that LP over and over again for a few weeks, then went to Huntsville's only Independent Record Store at the time (which i had frequented for years for their CD selection) and began my devolution (2nd LP purchased was Murder City Devil's R.I.P. for anybody who cares).

• 5 weeks later...