Does anyone else actually use the VC collection function?

Or is it more acceptable to use Discogs or deadformat?

I just ask because for one, I'm still new to this site and I'm trying to build at least a positive reputation, so it would be a good idea to follow the pack so to speak, and also because anyone's profile I've gone to when sending a PM they haven't used the application at all to plug in records.

thanks!

Have you tried using it? That will probably answer your question. But to save you time, no. Most folks go with the ones you mentioned or Google Docs.

I prefer Deadformat for sure. Pressing/variant info on Discogs is wildly inaccurate, it's unorganized as shit, and the whole thing looks and feels dated to me. DF is super easy to manage and you can list your records however you want, which is a big plus for me.

Just my two cents, anyway. If the VC collection function were similar to DF, I'd use it. Discogs is nice for buying and selling, but not so much for managing a collection.

...Pressing/variant info on Discogs is wildly inaccurate, it's unorganized as shit...

It's much more accurate than DeadFormat because users provide sources for the information (whereas DF has a lot of what people "think" it is)

How is it unorganized for a collection? You can create folders, sort, add/remove easily, export to excel, etc. DF is a list.

Maybe some the artists that you are adding to your discogs collection have really shitty entries by users who don't understand how to properly add information to the database. I know I've spent countless hours fixing crap entries so they make sense and are correct. Seems like every time I go into New Found Glory's or Blink 182's pages there are numerous fixes needed

I prefer Deadformat for sure. Pressing/variant info on Discogs is wildly inaccurate, it's unorganized as shit, and the whole thing looks and feels dated to me. DF is super easy to manage and you can list your records however you want, which is a big plus for me.

Just my two cents, anyway. If the VC collection function were similar to DF, I'd use it. Discogs is nice for buying and selling, but not so much for managing a collection.

I found the exact opposite,I couldn't understand Deadformat at all and found Discogs dead easy to set up exactly how I wanted, must be because I'm old people or it's whichever you go to first is the one that you find easiest but it looks like either is good and whatever works suits

Maybe some the artists that you are adding to your discogs collection have really shitty entries by users who don't understand how to properly add information to the database. I know I've spent countless hours fixing crap entries so they make sense and are correct. Seems like every time I go into New Found Glory's or Blink 182's pages there are numerous fixes needed

This a lot though

Discogs 100%.  9/10 whatever it is I have to add to the list is already there.  Occasionally the listing requires some clean up (so I do so).  When the item isn't there, I can easily create the listing (and do it right).  Using the want list has bagged me countless steals on items I wanted.  And it seamlessly transitions to a sales system that's better than eBay.

If I could export my list from Discogs to VC I totally would so that I could more easily facilitate trades and sales with VC members, but last I check this isn't possible.

As someone mentioned above, it really depends on the size of your collection. If you're starting out or working with smaller numbers it much easier to begin keeping a list using the VC or Discogs option.

If you've already got a sizable collection searching each one of those items and finding the one that matches exactly what you've got on the shelf could prove to be incredibly time consuming. (I do love Discogs for the WANT option though).

Personally I use DeadFormat and love it. Keep the list ordered and arranged however I like. Entries look however want them formated and I don't have to rely on someone else having already added the item to the database to add it to my list.

I can't use the quote function on my phone, so I'll try this the best I can..

Derby: It's no fault of Discogs - you're right, it is the users. When I look at a record and see that there are 130 versions, I'd much rather just list on Deadformat; most of them are duplicates or could be condensed.

Concerning the pressing info on Deadformat: I actually had never noticed that. You're right, it's terrible on DF. I use Discogs and other sources to find my own information and be as accurate as possible.

Some of the information I find on Discogs is accurate and I can corroborate it with info from the label or pressing plant. Other times, I just have to take their word for it or do more research.

Allenh: I think it is a "to each his own" kind of thing. Deadformat is definitely my preference, and I'm only discounting the collection feature of Discogs; I'd rather have a collection listed that I've put together myself with the most accurate information possible than one put together by others with potentially questionable information.

The other side of that coin, of course, is that I guess I could go in and fix the info on Discogs myself.

Again, I can't say that I don't love Discogs. As inaccurate as it may be, it has helped me immensely. Got some great deals there, too.

When the item isn't there, I can easily create the listing 

Show me your ways. I have never had an easy time making a Discogs listing. I had to take a tutorial to create it correctly months ago, and I know I won't remember now so I just haven't been making them even though they should be there. Like Nah, for example. I have so many of his tapes and I just got his LP but 6/7 of his listings are mp3 listings, I'm kind of afraid to fuck up badly for some reason. It's not like I'll be banned, why am I scared?

Show me your ways. I have never had an easy time making a Discogs listing. I had to take a tutorial to create it correctly months ago, and I know I won't remember now so I just haven't been making them even though they should be there. Like Nah, for example. I have so many of his tapes and I just got his LP but 6/7 of his listings are mp3 listings, I'm kind of afraid to fuck up badly for some reason. It's not like I'll be banned, why am I scared?

There are a lot of users that like to pick apart every mistake in submissions. Do your best by looking at other submissions that have been voted correct (this designation will be on the right side of the release page and also on the release history)

You can also ask in the forums for help. Lots of users are super helpful. Or ask me, I do decently on the site after submitting over 600 unique releases