Does anyone else actually use the VC collection function?

Show me your ways. I have never had an easy time making a Discogs listing. I had to take a tutorial to create it correctly months ago, and I know I won't remember now so I just haven't been making them even though they should be there. Like Nah, for example. I have so many of his tapes and I just got his LP but 6/7 of his listings are mp3 listings, I'm kind of afraid to fuck up badly for some reason. It's not like I'll be banned, why am I scared?

What Derby said.

And the easiest thing you can do for yourself is 'Copy to draft' anything that's the same physical format as what you're trying to make, and just change all the information.

There is a bit of a learning curve, but now it only takes me maybe five minutes to make a new listing from scratch.

I've used Discogs and it seems good apart from the appalling search engine. I've seen it said that you should use the advanced search, but searching for (for example) At The Drive-In and having to scroll down to almost the bottom before finding it, passing mounds of irrelevant returns in the process is a search engine that needs fixing.

May have to give Deadformat a try.

One thing I also like of discogs is that you can easily calculate the value of your collection (aprox) which should be useful info for your insurance in case you have issues...

Yeah, this is a great feature. I think it can be misleading to new sellers though - just because an album is being offered for £99, doesn't mean that's what it's worth.

Is Deadformat something you have to manually add your collection into?

Yeah, this is a great feature. I think it can be misleading to new sellers though - just because an album is being offered for £99, doesn't mean that's what it's worth.

I think it is based on sales history, but of course that is still not 100% accurate, as many records are sold under wrong listings, or the fact that a crazy guy spends a fortune on one record is not a fact that this is the actual value. But as an estimate I think it is ok.

Edit: Yep if you browse your collection and select "Text with statistics" format at the top right corner you will see your collection value range "Values based on last 10 sales using Marketplace Sales History". You can also see the min median and max values for each record.

I used it when the function first came available, then I forgot it existed and stopped updating it.  Then my account was deleted so I entered my whole collection for no reason anyway.  I used Deadformat at the same time, but since DF went down that one week, I switched everything to Google Docs, which I prefer.

The thing I don't understand about Discogs is when someone posts a comment on a release saying there is some minor change needed (such as the deletion of a word) that anyone could do regardless of whether they own the release or not. Surely it would be quicker to make the change than post the comment?

Maybe I'm missing some rule or protocol or something.

The thing I don't understand about Discogs is when someone posts a comment on a release saying there is some minor change needed (such as the deletion of a word) that anyone could do regardless of whether they own the release or not. Surely it would be quicker to make the change than post the comment?

Maybe I'm missing some rule or protocol or something.

Yes and no. If I own the release I'll make any change needed. If I don't own it I'm unable to validate that the information is correct on other pieces of info.

Yes and no. If I own the release I'll make any change needed. If I don't own it I'm unable to validate that the information is correct on other pieces of info.

I agree 100% with all of that. It's when you get a message saying there's a typo that needs correcting or a word needs deleting that makes me wonder why they didn't just do it themselves. You don't need the release to make the change.

The only reason such messages are valid is if they are educating someone that the word vinyl does not exist.

I did when it first launched, but there were too many bugs and everyone else was using DF and/or discogs. So I deleted everything and use both of those, plus my own Excel spreadsheet and Text documents for Orders and Band information with date ordered/received, price and shipping. Learned from my first hobby that for me this is important. Plus, now my collection is up to the point where I got a rider for valuables insurance on our homeowners policy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone actually use rateyourmusic with any frequency? I'm trying to start to use it a bit more, even if just to catalogue what I listened to and when, trying to build up ratings/reviews as I listen to the records. obviously the problem with RYM is the fact that a good portion of the reviews are total horseshit, but there are some good things written there.