lathe cut records?

anyone know anything about this? my buddy sent it to me from a garage punk board:

"peter king over in new zealand makes lathe cut records in orders as small as 20 copies. you can get 20 7"s for 100$ and/or 20 lps for 200. i recently released a order of 70 lps of my old band, sold them for 18$ ppd sold them all and pocketed a couple bucks for the trouble. the mp3s of the songs on it i gave away."

there was some debate about lathe cut records being crap, but he says they sound fine and there hasn't been a problem w/ them lasting.

http://www.garagepunk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35213

i have a lathe cut 7" by a noise dj named, beligham cat hotel or somthing like that. it reminds me of that part in strange brew where they get the computer disc, say looks like a british new wave band, then they play it on the record player and say sounds like a british new wave band. did i mention that it's a square 7" that's why it reminds me of that part. i'm not sure that can, at this point, comment on the sound quality as the actual music on 7" sounds like a 5.25 floppy being played on a victrola.

anyone know anything about this? my buddy sent it to me from a garage punk board:

"peter king over in new zealand makes lathe cut records in orders as small as 20 copies. you can get 20 7"s for 100$ and/or 20 lps for 200. i recently released a order of 70 lps of my old band, sold them for 18$ ppd sold them all and pocketed a couple bucks for the trouble. the mp3s of the songs on it i gave away."

there was some debate about lathe cut records being crap, but he says they sound fine and there hasn't been a problem w/ them lasting.

http://www.garagepunk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35213

How much was shipping?

i dont own a lathe record but just from what ive been told is that they cant be played too much as they begin to wear down rather quickly. theyre normally a gimmick based release from noise bands. also peter king is tough to deal with. only correspondence is available via mail. no phone number no email and it takes him quite some time to finish the cuts.

that's the one

Bob

Geez! Bootlegs!

Doug

You remember where we got this?

Bob

Yeah, it was when we were running off them pirates, eh?

Doug

Yeah, was that a dream or what?

Bob

It was no dream, it was in your underwears!

Doug

Ok, let's see...this is one of those new square records that goes in a

record player that's, like, on it's side.

[Doug places the disk on his turntable]

Bob

No way, that's an EP from some British new wave band!

Doug

Take off! You don't know.

Bob

Yeah, they bootleg those, eh?

[Doug plays the disk...it begins to squeal]

Doug

What do you think?

Bob

Sounds like a British new wave band!