Bootlegs

Can't find a thread, let me know if there is one already etc

What's the opinion on boots around here? I'm just curious after seeing the System of a Down bootleg thread. Where's the use in buying a bootleg release - it's not going to sound any better than the CD copy, is it? Or am I missing something?

Seeing the SOAD album go for $85 seems pretty ridiculous to me. It's about £27.00 on Discogs which is still way too much IMO.

What's the appeal of these?

Basically they give us the option of getting something on vinyl that we aren't likely to see an actual pressing of anytime soon. And believe it or not, a lot of the time, bootlegs don't end up sounding too bad. I have a couple myself (both Frank Ocean releases) and they sound really good. As for the price, it seems to very depending on where you get them from.

I know around my parts there is a shop that gets bootlegs quite frequently. People love them despite the hideous resolution cover art. The only thing I kind of get/hate is that they are usually imported from some German distro, thus making them quite expensive and deeming them as imports.

But for someone looking for something long out of press, or simply just some bootleg tracks they are def. a win!

There's a store near me that has a lot of bootlegs, and people snap them up. They're usually stuff that's totally OOP, difficult to get, whatever. I bought a Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets album from there, not knowing it was a boot. I probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd known but it's a fairly good copy of the mono pressing.

Just confused on the "otherwise unable on vinyl" thing. Surely it's just a copy from a digital master... with bad copies of the artwork, no inners etc.

I'm totally for bootlegs when they're live recordings that are transferred properly.

I have a couple of amazing ones (Zappa, Tool)
I don't like the idea of buying a studio album that is not on vinyl as a vinyl bootleg, because who the hell know what you're getting and if it's sourced from CD or MP3 or what.

People are weird and fetishize otherwise oop records just because they're on vinyl, even if it is music piracy and inferior quality. Bootlegs can still charge ridiculous prices just so long as "at least it's cheaper than a legit oop copy on ebay." If the actual rights holders pressed the record and sold it at the same price, those same people would be wetting their britches about how over priced it is and unfair.

I've been hunting some Danzig S/T original presses. There's a bootleg colored press out there for cheaper, but after thinking about getting that, it would just feel wrong. I don't know who is making that bootleg or what the quality is, so I guess I'd rather pay more for a real original press.

I'm totally for bootlegs when they're live recordings that are transferred properly.

I don't like the idea of buying a studio album that is not on vinyl as a vinyl bootleg, because who the hell know what you're getting and if it's sourced from CD or MP3 or what.

That's a good call. Heard some great Knebworth Led Zeppelin live boots before.

exactly. there's a big difference to me between a bootleg and counterfeit releases. I have no problem with live recordings, outtakes, etc. being bootlegged if there's no plans for official releases, but I have major issues with counterfeit pressings that muddy the waters for people looking for authentic pressings. They are mostly horrible in sound and pressing quality.

It took me 3 tries to get a legit copy of PJ Harvey's Stories from the City LP because of the fakes out there. Literally every one of the fakes had horrible nonfill and noise. And the sellers were mostly oblivious that they were not the real deal.

Normally, I'm not a big fan of bootlegs. Especially when it's a crappy live recording, pressed by a jerk a few hundred times and sold over eBay at crazy rates as it's the case with a live recording from Steven Wilson's gig in Hamburg.

On the other hand, I'm pretty happy to have a bootleg of Tool's 10.000 Days on vinyl since they've never released it.

So, depends...

exactly. there's a big difference to me between a bootleg and counterfeit releases. I have no problem with live recordings, outtakes, etc. being bootlegged if there's no plans for official releases, but I have major issues with counterfeit pressings that muddy the waters for people looking for authentic pressings. They are mostly horrible in sound and pressing quality.

It took me 3 tries to get a legit copy of PJ Harvey's Stories from the City LP because of the fakes out there. Literally every one of the fakes had horrible nonfill and noise. And the sellers were mostly oblivious that they were not the real deal.

Yeah, that's really irritating. My girlfriend did manage to find a real copy of Stories... recently, but there are so many shitty boots around now. Most of these boots have shitty quality white inners and really bad photocopied/printed covers.

Same with me for No More Shall We Part by Nick Cave. I'd love an original of that but seen so many bootlegs around. Same with Boatman's Call too, being sold for £50 or so in local record fairs. Fucking crud.

I've got a bootleg of the division bell. IMO it sounds great and $40 was pretty affordable compared to the legit pressing.

Seen a lot of these around, mostly coloured vinyl. That's not an album I'd really want for the sound quality either :lol:

I'm personally thinking about orchestrating a bootleg press of Rinoa - An Age Among Them as a 2xLP. I have a FLAC file of the album, and one of my buddies knows a guy who'll do bootlegs for cheap(ish), so it's all a matter of when and if people will be interested.

Ya i'd like to know how to get a bootleg pressed. I'd love to be the person who put The Mars Volta live at Maida Vale onto vinyl. I know people would just cream for that!

The boots that I own are either unreleased live recordings, or they are legitimately rare and expensive records that are not commonly available on other formats.

I don't understand buying a boot of a System of a Down, Tool or Mars Volta album that is widely available on cd. Your bootleg record will definitely sound worse than the cd.

Shit, I should have read this thread earlier today, I bought a pink copy of Animals by Pink Floyd, it says its a Philippines release from 1977, but I was very skeptical when I saw how new everything looked. The artwork however compared to a real copy was actually better IMO, although there was no insert/lyric sheet which disappointed me, I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, so I don't know the sound quality is. Does anyone have a copy of this "release"?

Any Pink Floyd fan knows there are an abundance of bootlegged recordings, this Italian website I just found does a really good job at listing all the bootlegged albums, and describes them in depth. Really handy if you want an authentic copy.

http://digilander.libero.it/mrpinky/fake_summary.htm

Basically they give us the option of getting something on vinyl that we aren't likely to see an actual pressing of anytime soon. And believe it or not, a lot of the time, bootlegs don't end up sounding too bad. I have a couple myself (both Frank Ocean releases) and they sound really good. As for the price, it seems to very depending on where you get them from.

Good to know that the FO boots sound good. I have unreleased, MISC. And it sounds great. I gotta get Channel Orange and Nostalgia Ultra