PO: Audrey Fall - Mitau (FFO: Russian Circles, Saxon Shore, Caspian)

2gxhh20.jpg

Audrey Fall released their debut album, Mitau, in January, and, according to their frontman, it looks like it might be getting a vinyl release sometime soon.

Priceline
LONDON

img?c=3&cq=256&h=400&m=0&partner=37265&q
>

For those who aren't familiar with the Latvian four-piece, these guys play a style of post-rock/post-metal in the vein of Maybeshewill, Saxon Shore, Russian Circles, and Caspian, with their trademark cinematic and atmospheric qualities present in this release. Mitau is a shining example of instrumental rock done right, with exhilirating climaxes and soothing bridges scattered throughout the 58-minute release.

Joyful Conversations Await! 😃
Take Back Control of Hearing Loss

CI3I8Tuq8Lm3cxGa.png
>

"Each song, builds, blows up, collapses, and rebuilds in surprising ways. Mitau is actually exciting to listen to. I don’t know if I’ve ever described an album that way. There is a pent up energy throughout the entire album, an earnestness that compels you to keep listening. It’s almost exhausting to listen to, but in a way which, by the time you reach the end of the closing track, “Medem”, makes you want to listen to it again."

-Ian L. Svbtle Reviews

Full album here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CIo83emfSE

Edited by omik11303

You are very correct, minus the bit where I haven't gotten around to playing this [yet].  This album is all the rage over in this topic, and I got a little excited seeing your thread in the PO board.  There's no kickstarter or anything for this, right?  It may get moved to the Everything Else board.

I'll get back to either this thread or the instrumental thread after I've given it a fair jam.

[edit]

I glossed right over the first bit before the description.  I'd say this thread is fair game where it's at.  Sorry for the confusion.  Definitely going to get around to playing this sometime today to prepare for a potential PO.

Alright, so I finally listened to this, just this morning. What's funny is that among all the talk of the band last night, I scoped Youtube for a quick video, and found

for Petrina. I think the production on it is great, and that it features some incredibly beautiful footage... but the song itself rubbed me as super generic post-rock. (Which, to be fair, is still more enjoyable than 90% of generic, commercial radio tracks. In my opinion.) But wanting to keep an open mind, I decided to explore the rest of the album... and I'm glad that I did.

I love the juxtaposition of the heavier side of this record with the more melodic and atmospheric (read: typical post-rock) side. When this album kicks, it really kicks. The drums, especially, remind me of Toundra... both in rhythm and production at times. I dig it. Lots of standout riffs to be had, too, for those Pelican and Russian Circle fans out there.

It's going to take me a few more listens to really appreciate this record's flow and everything that it has to offer. But even after one play, I'm confident enough that I'd pre-order this in a heartbeat.

Alright, so I finally listened to this, just this morning.  What's funny is that among all the talk of the band last night, I scoped Youtube for a quick video, and found

for Petrina.  I think the production on it is and great, and that it features some incredibly beautiful footage... but the song itself rubbed as super generic post-rock.  (Which, to be fair, is still more enjoyable than 90% of generic, commercial radio tracks.  In my opinion.)  But wanting to keep an open mind, I decided to explore the rest of the album... and I'm glad that I did.

I love the juxtaposition of the heavier side of this record with the more melodic and atmospheric (read: typical post-rock) side.  When this album kicks, it really kicks.  The drums, especially, remind me of Toundra... both in rhythm and production at times.  I dig it.  Lots of standout riffs to be had, too, for those Pelican and Russian Circle fans out there.

It's going to take me a few more listens to really appreciate this record's flow and everything that it has to offer.  But even after one play, I'm confident enough that I'd pre-order this in a heartbeat.

I feel the same way about the contrast between heavy and soft. When I first listened to the record, it was one song at a time, and it wasn't until I listened to the album the whole way through that I really felt that I understood what this album had to offer. (Now, granted, maybe that shouldn't've come as a surprise - that's what happens with 70% of post-rock albums to begin with.) The three songs in the middle there - Valdeka, Eliass, and Courland Aa - comprise the strongest section of the album in my opinion. I actually kind of like Petrina, though.

If this vinyl release comes through, and no sound quality is lost on the pressing, this could get a lot of playtime for me.

DerekTM has many hobbies including, but not limited to:

1). Licking balls (preferably senior citizen balls)

2). Pretending like his opinion matters (Trust me, it doesn't. Last time someone remotely cared about his opinion was when he lost the middle school presidency race. Epic fail.)

3). Writing long, articulate, unimportant posts. Yawn....who has time to read this hipster horseshit?

4). Being an enormous douche (more an attribute than a hobby).

5). Hailing as the world's greatest "Keyboard Warrior". You should see his spandex outfit with the KW symbol. So adorbs.

Quoting for posterity.

So is it safe to say they'd give this the double LP treatment? I'd hope for at least a gatefold with a design in the style of that album art.

I'd say that's a safe bet. They'd have to really struggle to get it on one LP, and because of the obvious sound quality loss that that would entail, I don't think they'd even bother. You have me all excited now for this gatefold, too. They could make this a really pretty release. Maybe some clear green vinyl?

This album is seriously so good. I know users like Derek and Don will be all over this one.

Dang, that is scary you figured me out!

First pass seemed like the formulaic stuff with some moments, as Derek pointed out already (paraphrasing), but those 'moments' kept me revisiting it.  Black and/or Green of some shade do seem like the obvious fit for the lovely art.

edit: I'm in  :) (and following this thread)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry to rustle any excitement... read this interview and I'm a bit concerned re: vinyl pressing quality, but perhaps unnecessarily.

edit: this interview http://www.alternative.lv/intervijas/eindhoven-calling-audrey-fall-838/

Listening to this the other night with my surround sound ear buds on bandcamp, I was picking up a lot of clutter/noise/hum/etc. in the quiet sections and in between tracks. As Derek pointed out on another thread, the mp3 quality is not always the best and may not translate to vinyl.  I personally can't tell the difference between 320 and some lower like 192 that I have purchased off Amazon in the distant past. Some 128, yes. Especially those TT to mp3 conversions.

Since they did this all totally DIY, and then re-recorded themselves not happy with the initial cut (hats off to them and DIY), if this does make it to vinyl, I'm a bit concerned.  Is anyone hearing this?   Probably a  moot point for my set up anyway, since it is not audiophile level by any means.

My observation is that the volume always seems to be so amped on bandcamp...my laptop is 6 years old, and the sound card (I'm not a computer geek so I don't know) is such that I never have the volume above the 1, usually at 1/2, and something like Media Player, rarely above a volume level of 7.  >15 and my ears don't like it.  

On bandcamp I can't have the earbuds all the way in usually - just too loud.

• 5 months later...
  • omik11303 changed the title to PO: Audrey Fall - Mitau (FFO: Russian Circles, Saxon Shore, Caspian)