Yellowcard kicks out drummer, Longineu Parsons III ?

So this news is like 4 days old but 

The Yellowcard facebook page posted that LP, their drummer and one of the last two original members, has left the band. 

https://www.facebook.com/yellowcard/posts/10152286157909349?stream_ref=10

The only remaining original member is Sean (violin). 

And today LP posted a photo with another former original member, Ben Harper, who was in Yellowcard from 1997-2006. 

There's a lot of speculation in the absolutepunk thread of this, with signs pointing to LP being kicked out.

The only remaining original member is Sean (violin). 

I don't get this. This is like if ... I can't even think of an example. When this guy is the only guy left, is it really even the same band? Not to say that I give a shit, because I think Yellowcard is trash, but it's interesting to me. Why even bother going on?

I don't get this. This is like if ... I can't even think of an example. When this guy is the only guy left, is it really even the same band? Not to say that I give a shit, because I think Yellowcard is trash, but it's interesting to me. Why even bother going on?

A band is business/brand. There's no one left from the 1970 Vancouver Canucks, but it's not like they'd change they're name. Like what's already been mentioned, they have an established consumer base already. The same thing happened to Underoath

Even though the singer isnt a "original" member he has been the singer for as long as anyone has cared about the band (since One For The Kids).

Tons of bands do this. Ken Casey is the only original member from the Dropkick Murphys still in the band.  If the musical direction of someone changes I'd rather have them leave the band and start a new project and the band replace them and pick up where they left off, rather than changing the style of the band altogether.

You'd be hard pressed to find a band that's been around for more than 15 years that still has the original lineup.  Hell even Marky Ramone wasn't an original member.  Doesn't mean anything, especially for drummers!

Make more money this way opposed to starting over and having no one come to your shows/buy your music because they dont know your band name.

Right, but what about the people who show up and realize that there are no original members in the band, and that they've been swindled into seeing some... some shit?

fixed

Thanks bud. :^)

A band is business/brand. There's no one left from the 1970 Vancouver Canucks, but it's not like they'd change they're name. Like what's already been mentioned, they have an established consumer base already. The same thing happened to Underoath

I don't think it's fair to compare a band to a sports team in this sense. It seems dishonest to continue under the same name when the only original member is the violin player, who I imagine doesn't have much influence on the sound of the band.

Even though the singer isnt a "original" member he has been the singer for as long as anyone has cared about the band (since One For The Kids).

I don't follow Yellowcard, so I didn't know this, but that is a good point. This actually ties into the next thing:

You'd be hard pressed to find a band that's been around for more than 15 years that still has the original lineup.  Hell even Marky Ramone wasn't an original member.  Doesn't mean anything, especially for drummers!

To be fair, Marky joined very early on. Few Ramones fans even know there was a drummer before him. So, like Ian Rees said, he's "pretty much" an original member, I guess.

My point in all this is that it seems sort of disingenuous. It'd be like if Mike, Melvin, El Hefe, and Smelly all left NOFX and it was just Limo (the keyboard player since War on Errorism) with a couple of new guys. 

My point in all this is that it seems sort of disingenuous. It'd be like if Mike, Melvin, El Hefe, and Smelly all left NOFX and it was just Limo (the keyboard player since War on Errorism) with a couple of new guys. 

Well it'd be like if Fat Mike, Melvin and Smelly left since El Hefe isn't a original member..

Good point, but they only put out three albums, a few comps and two EPs before he joined. Hefe's been with them 22 years now.

You're right, though - I can't say "who cared before El Hefe," because I think Dave and Steve both kicked ass and those first three albums were really great work.

Anyway - I don't want to derail the thread - but you see my point, right? Even if Mike, Melvin, and Smelly left, it obviously wouldn't be the same band. Mike does all the writing (besides "Truck Stop Blues," "Together on the Sand," and "Kill all the White Man," and Melvin gets credit sometimes) and his voice and bass playing are definitive parts of their sound.

I can't compare to Yellowcard because I don't know their material, but I feel like the same thing would apply. Right?

I'm not sure about the song writing credits with Yellowcard but I feel like since it's the same singer pretty much everyone is familiar with than it doesn't really matter too much who else in the band is a original member.

Yellowcard as everyone is familiar with is Ryans voice, if it was no longer Ryan's voice and Sean left (last "original" member) so if they left than they shouldn't use the name but that wouldn't pretty much be the end of the band anyways.