The thread formerly known as 'ty segall'

People complain when you don't get a free MP3 when you buy a record....does anyone ever complain when you buy MP3s and don't get a free vinyl?  I'm not saying free digital files aren't great, but almost no other industry is this asked of.  Heck wal-mart will even charge you extra if you want a digital copy of your pictures you just got developed.

People complain when you don't get a free MP3 when you buy a record....does anyone ever complain when you buy MP3s and don't get a free vinyl?  I'm not saying free digital files aren't great, but almost no other industry is this asked of.  Heck wal-mart will even charge you extra if you want a digital copy of your pictures you just got developed.

i don't believe you can compare the resurgence of vinyl to any other media...the overhead on storing files is a one time large cost for server space. is there a collector market for blu ray DVDs? i do see your point about separate media types being separate purchases, maybe i'm being too entitled 

for digital though the price should be WAY less than what they're still charging...also why don't record companies put out the 24bit file themselves and cut out the middle man? i could give a crap about FLAC files since it's most likely a WAV rip from the CD

People complain when you don't get a free MP3 when you buy a record....does anyone ever complain when you buy MP3s and don't get a free vinyl? I'm not saying free digital files aren't great, but almost no other industry is this asked of. Heck wal-mart will even charge you extra if you want a digital copy of your pictures you just got developed.

If the majority of record labels gave you free vinyl when you bought digital files, yeah you'd probably get the same complaints if you didn't.

is there a collector market for blu ray DVDs?

Yes there is, a very large one.

If the majority of record labels gave you free vinyl when you bought digital files, yeah you'd probably get the same complaints if you didn't.

I don't have statistics on the "majority" but I wouldn't jump to say the majority do.  It could just be biased off what I buy, but I would say it's pretty 50/50 on what I get that has digital with it.  Plus if you normally get something for free as a bonus from one company it's silly to get upset when another company doesn't have the same promotion.  If say my gas station has free car washes with every 8 gallon purchase and I shop there the majority of the time....but I'm off somewhere else and try another gas station, should I get pissed at them for not  offering a free car wash?