The thread formerly known as 'ty segall'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New SELF-TITLED album being released January 27th on Drag City as per NPR: http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/11/15/502037276/ty-segall-announces-new-album-shares-orange-color-queen?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=2042

First song is the largely acoustic Orange Color Queen.  Some of you may remember it from the Ty/Cory Hanson acoustic pickathon video. REALLY looking forward to this album! Toned-down Ty is best Ty.

Press Release:

Ty Segall has made whole records that wrestle with realities - fighting against some, pulling mightily to bring others into being. His new self-titled record - the next record after Emotional Mugger, Manipulator, Sleeper, Twins, Goodbye Bread, Melted, Lemons and the first self-titled album that started it up in the now-distant year of 2008 - is a clean flow, a wash of transparency falling into a world that needs to see a few things through clearly, to their logical end. It's got some of the most lobe-blasting neckwork since the Ty Segall Band's Slaughterhouse (from way back in the long, hot summer of 2012), but it also features a steep flight of fluent acoustic settings.

The construction and destruction of his chosen realities has, until now, been a luxury Ty has rightfully reserved for himself, striping overdubs together to form the sound - but for this new album, he entered a studio backed by a full band - Emmett Kelly, Mikal Cronin, Charles Moothart and Ben Boye - to get a read on this so-called clarity. This leads to a new departure in group sound, as well as some of the most visceral and penetrating vocal passages yet heard from Ty Segall. Take debut single, "Orange Color Queen," for example -- a supreme moment of tenderness.

Ty Segall keeps you guessing, bracing your skin with a welcome astringency, seeking to stem the bleeding with chunks and splashes of guitar, tight beats, audio-verite toilet smashes, a Wurlitzer electric piano in a jam, blazing harmonies, and LOTS of songs to sing. There's no concept beyond that; finding the right places to be is a momentary thing. Ty Segall is the sum of his songs - and about getting the free. The free to be!

Nice to see Mikal, Mootheart and Emmett back. Looks like Ben Boye will be playing keyboard - he in on the last couple Ryley Walker albums.

3 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

I looked at the track list on Drag City and thought "well that's a stupidly short album..." then I noticed the 10 minute song length. Felt better after that.

It wasn't that long ago that having 8-10 tracks on an album was the norm. Ok it was a few decades ago. NPR actually shows a 10th track "Untitled", not listed on the Drag City site.

Anyhow, super excited for this! New track sounds good. Not digging the cover art, although he's not known for particularly interesting covers. Most are better than this one, though. I'll pick this up on release day - no need to mess with shipping anxiety without a unique variant.

1 hour ago, Moglog said:

Dig this new song, but will probably just pick up at a store. Still wish Drag City gave DL codes...

Any idea if Albini produced, or were they just hanging out smashing toilets? 

Agreed, and also curious about Steve Albini's involvement. I certainly didn't detect any trademark Albini production in the new track. Actually hoping it's a side project of sorts. With Ty being a producer himself and working with many other artists as producer, it would seem odd to have someone else produce an album under his name - especially a self-titled one.

4 hours ago, Moglog said:

Dig this new song, but will probably just pick up at a store. Still wish Drag City gave DL codes...

Any idea if Albini produced, or were they just hanging out smashing toilets? 

The final paragraph of the press release says "Ty Segall keeps you guessing, bracing your skin with a welcome astringency, seeking to stem the bleeding with chunks and splashes of guitar, tight beats, audio-verite toilet smashes, a Wurlitzer electric piano in a jam, blazing harmonies, and LOTS of songs to sing."

So I am guessing this is Albini

Edited by segal-train

On 11/15/2016 at 1:20 PM, jeromium said:

It wasn't that long ago that having 8-10 tracks on an album was the norm. Ok it was a few decades ago. NPR actually shows a 10th track "Untitled", not listed on the Drag City site.

Anyhow, super excited for this! New track sounds good. Not digging the cover art, although he's not known for particularly interesting covers. Most are better than this one, though. I'll pick this up on release day - no need to mess with shipping anxiety without a unique variant.

Yeah but not even to the point of track quantity but of overall album running time. Even 8 songs can run up to and over 40 minutes. I guess I arbitrarily decided long ago that an album should be at least 40 minutes long whether its 8 tracks or 12 or beyond. I know it doesn't make much sense but it makes me feel better when I buy and listen to an album and can count on at least that much music.