The thread formerly known as 'ty segall'

With streaming and leaked Copies Readily available before the release date for pretty much every release there really is no reason to even do DL codes, I can't be the only one who has a huge stack of DL cards I've never used.  Plus if people aren't going to buy the DL anyways and will just find it elsewhere, why would they spend money to also give it to you free.

Drag City isn't on streaming services like Spotify though. So we end up resorting to illegal downloads. 

I do have a ton of unused DL cards though - but that's if I buy a physical copy of a record long after it was released and I've already streamed it and/or downloaded it for offline listening. If I buy something on release or pre-order, that's when a DL card comes in handy. Especially if you can't stream it. But I digress...it's not too difficult to find it elsewhere.

Edited by jeromium

13 hours ago, apirk said:

i know Will Oldham has said he'd rather not have his music listened To through a phone or computer

That's a pretty strange preference. I wonder if he thinks it's better to listen to a record on a cheap Crosley with built in speakers rather listen to flac files streamed from a computer or audio server to a high end stereo system? 

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Is it just Apple?  that's all I have, so I assumed it was everywhere. But yeah, Ty's DC catalog is streaming, just not the new one yet. 

Looks like I was wrong about Ty's stuff, which is good news; however, it does look just like Apple (at least, I know it's not on Spotify because I've checked):

This is probably what I was thinking of when reading this; I imagine that Apple must have given DC a good deal:

http://www.spin.com/2017/03/ty-segall-spotify-apple-music-streaming-rip-off-artists-interview/

“With Spotify and all those streaming services you don’t get paid anything. You have to be like Madonna or something to actually make a real royalty from that. You make better royalties off YouTube than Spotify. Apple Music is the same,” Segall says. “The truth of the matter is I don’t have problem with any of those things if they paid better, I would do them. But they don’t, they totally rip off artists. So I don’t want to be a part of it. But YouTube and all that stuff, free music—totally cool, go for it. I’d rather have the music [be] free than get ripped off by Spotify, personally. It’s just funny to me I’ve heard people say, ‘I don’t have the money to buy your album, man. Why isn’t it on Spotify?’ And I want to just be like, ‘Here’s the album for free, dude. I don’t know.'”

1 hour ago, numanoid said:

That's a pretty strange preference. I wonder if he thinks it's better to listen to a record on a cheap Crosley with built in speakers rather listen to flac files streamed from a computer or audio server to a high end stereo system? 

Yea because someone who has a high end audio server or system uses a Crosley too. You went to one extreme but didnt reverse it. The guy who has a great vinyl playback but doesnt care about digital

97% of the world listens through music on their phone or computer through 10 dollar speakers or earbuds

But I would also say that 97% of the people who listen to records don't have a very good system at all. And usually the argument from people who say things like I don't want my music listen to on a phone is because they think vinyl sounds better no matter what. And that's not the case. Digital files on an iPhone through even the provided EarPods sounds better than something cheap turntable. That was my point, and I really was interested in why he had that opinion.

• 5 weeks later...