The thread formerly known as 'ty segall'

Yes, Manipulator was by far his best solo release. As well as my favorite record of 2014.

Woah woah woah.  BY FAR?  I mean I liked Manipulator a whole lot, but Twins?  Melted?  Come on now.

Alright alright, to be fair I decided to revisit Ty's previous work and I might have been a bit unfair.

I first discovered Ty with Melted, and while I liked the album and loved tracks like "Girlfriend" and "My Sunshine", it was a lot more lo-fi than a lot of the music I was listening to at the time. I guess it was my first dive into "real" garage rock revival. Subsequent albums were a little hit or miss, and it wasn't until Manipulator came out that all of his past efforts culminated into something that truly impressed me, that I was able to rate more than 3.5 out of 5 stars (4.5, specifically). I spent a lot of time with the album in 2014 and 2015, hardly revisiting older material since its release.

But now I have revisited most albums in the past week and can be a little more fair. Ty Segall and Lemons are better than I remember them being. I ended up actually liking Melted less after listening to those two again - save for those two aforementioned tracks that are really great. Truth is, it's a more varied album than the first two and even though it's the one I've known the longest, I owe it a bit more attention to fully appreciate. Goodbye Bread remains relatively subdued and while enjoyable, has never made much of a lasting impression on me. Then this morning it was Twins time, and I finally bit my tongue - this one's really good, runner up for sure. I was also planning to listen to Sleeper today but realized I forgot to put it on my mp3 device before leaving home today (and it's not on Spotify). I did revisit that one relatively recently though as I picked up a used copy on vinyl a few months back - but it's sort of like Goodbye Bread in its lack of energy and standout tracks. Making its successor Manipulator that much more impressive. What also made it impressive was how solid it is despite its length. Most albums over 50 minutes have some filler and or simply don't have the stamina to be that long - but this one doesn't have those problems. 

But still, I stand corrected and while it's my favorite up to now, he's put out some quality stuff leading up to it. Just not with the same consistency to me.