The thread formerly known as 'ty segall'

I don't disagree, 40-50 minutes is the sweet spot for me. But it also depends on the style of music. For instance I don't often want a 50 minute punk album, but don't mind a 60 minute electronic album. Even within genre categories, it depends on other factors like how good the music is. :D

I'd say punk albums traditionally run from about 30 to 40 minutes. Usually somewhere in the middle of those two points. Some of the first bands that really got me activated about music (these being Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Pantera and Tool) were putting out albums that were around 60 to 80 minutes so I ended up having a really high expectation for running time. I came to settle on the 40-ish minute mark as being a concession after getting into A Perfect Circle (their first LP is about 43 minutes) and realizing that not every band had as much quality output (or output overall) to support the maximum CD capacity running time. 

Then The Mars Volta came into my life... and well. You know.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Twins is probably my favorite Ty album so I'm glad this one compares to it. I started streaming the first song yesterday and right away I could hear the depth and richness in the production which has not been so present on his other releases. I believe we have Albini and Electrical Audio to thank for that.