Posters!

pauljgreco

Hey all!

A friend of mine and myself want to do a little something for charity. We thought it would be a cool idea to bring a design idea to a band and see what they thought about it. With their permission we would print the design on an 18x24 poster, ship it in a tube, and get it in your hands. The posters would be hand numbered and if possible, signed by the band! The cool thing about this would be that all proceeds from this would be going towards a charity; a great cause. With each run of posters going towards a different charity, this seems like a fun and interesting idea.

We have an idea of who we are thinking to ask first, and already have a design from a piece of art my friend did a while back.

We'd love to see if this idea sparks any interest from anyone. If you read this and have any comments, good or bad, on the idea, we'd love to know!

Thank you so much!

Since nothing is being sold I'd throw this in the everything else section.

This has been done many times over and I would say the success comes from the popularity of either the bands or the artists. Since you are an unknown artist it will be all about the bands. Try to get a band to play a show for that specific poster. With any posters not sold at the show available online for a higher price. Maybe do $15 at the show and $20 online. Even with a popular band it would be hard to convince someone to pay over $20 for a poster.

Also you said all proceeds will go to charity. Will you be taking the hit for all printing material and shipping charges or will only the profits go to charity. You also want this to be a series but what are your plans for if the first one bombs. Will you keep going and see if you can gain momentum or just pack up shop if they don't all sell in a week.

I'll delete and put in the everything else section. Sorry about that!

We were looking at around $10 or so for an 18x24 poster. We would originally be taking preorders for the print itself online, and when we reach the goal of how many we need to pay for supplies + a (small) minimum charity goal, we would order and ship within the week, unless it takes absolutely forever to get the amount we need, we wouldn't have a choice but to go and put fourth some of our own money. Lots of details, like that, to figure out at the moment, but overall that seems to be the plan. We wouldn't need too many to get preordered to begin selling. We would order all we need once we have the money to do so, ship them out, and continue to sell thereafter.

So yes, all profits will be going towards charity, since we would be taking preorders and using that to buy and all after will be going towards the charity.

Let's say we have 250 posters to begin. We sell (I know it's not the correct amount) 50 or so and get $500. It costs $100 for the posters and $100 for the tubes. We go ahead and order them and ship out the orders so far. The $200 there would go towards the posters and tubes, but the other $300 is all charity.

I know, not the most professional idea in the world, but we need to start with something, you know? Just two teenagers trying to do a little something for charity with not much money to put up front.

If for some reason we just absolutely can't reach the minimum goal to begin, we would of course refund every penny.

Thanks, tellallyourfriends! I really do appreciate the feedback and I think it's great you're letting me know of all that. Do you think that what we are doing is okay, with the preorders and all? Our first poster isn't confirmed yet but we did email the band today and are just awaiting a response and I think you guys will like it.