Selling my Dad's record collection. Mostly classical some jazz and rock.

groberts

I am left with getting rid of my father's extensive record collection. I mostly have classical for sale with a few jazz and rock albums. Mostly audiophile grade records. I realize this forum is not the best place to sell classical but I thought I at least try. The link is too my Amazon store front. Its searchable by main title and maybe artist.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_1?ie=UTF8&asin=B00J2G77L8&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A9SK8LK73IB8U

I am not a record expert but the majority of these records look perfect, at least to me. The covers have shelf wear. I do know that all the records he kept were in playable condition. He treated his records with kid gloves and only played them with high quality cartridges and record players. He had a record cleaner and cleaned his stylus each time he played a record. He never let anyone  borrow his records. So any he bought new should be in the same condition when he bought it.  The used he bought were either from used record stores so they should be in good condition too. He also bought a few from thrift stores. In the description for each record I marked if it was used or not.  I am unable to test most of the records so I am depending on the photographs in my listing to help. I just hope the photos of the vinyl records give a clear idea of their condition. If you have tips on taking photos of vinyl, especially to reveal scratches and other issues let me know.

This is how I came up with my pricing. I already had an Amazon seller account and it made it easier for me in that I did not have to add all this info. I looked up each record on Amazon then added my record as tied as the lowest.  When I tried to make my the lowest it would be a race to the bottom with the other sellers. I did not feel like being a dick and forcing them to drop their prices. I had no idea the worth of the records and just figured they knew the value better than I. This is a better link to my storefront.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=A9SK8LK73IB8U

If you click on the record picture you see there are other sellers and I am usually the lowest. Records that were under $5 I did not bother to sell on Amazon. I used Ebay and http://www.discogs.com/%C2'> get an idea of average prices when there was not many other sellers to base my price on. So far I have sold a few records in the $80 range and over 10 above $40 the first month I started selling. I will wait a few months and after it looks like I have sold off the truly rare records then I will lower the prices on the others. I just figured its good to start high and lower later.

There were a lot of of rock, jazz, blues, Talking Heads, Devo, Rank and File, and some other music from the 1980s. Most of it was worth around $5 and some of it was worth more like the Beatles, Rolling Stones and other 60s rock groups. I sold it all to the local record store and he gave over $200 for it. I wanted to make it worth his time so gave him the all the rock, jazz and blue not just the cheap stuff. He gave me fair prices in return. He did not want classical so that is why its mostly classical records in my listing.