Looking for Comfortable and Good Quality Headphones for Around $100

Obviously there have been other headphones threads, but they haven't really addressed my specific needs.

I've been doing research on headphones for awhile. Basically, I have about $100 to spend (can go a little over). I want something that delivers great sound quality and is also comfortable. I am not looking for ear buds or any in-ear device. My biggest concern is comfort. I want something I can wear for 5-6 hours a day.

I almost bought the Sennhesier HD-280 PRO, but then I read a bunch of reviews that talked about how tight and uncomfortable they are. I was also looking at the Grado SR80i, but the price seems to have really jumped lately (and I also heard about some comfort issues there).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have currently been using Sennheiser CX300 earbuds at work. I like the sound, but I can't use them for more than a couple hours a day.

Thanks!

If you're looking for in-ear's I'd recommend the Bose MIE2i's. You can get them without a mic/volume attachment for $99. They're super comfortable and sound great. I've worn mine for the majority of the day on multiple occassions without any real discomfort or irritation whatsoever. 

The MIE2i's are iPhone specific. The model number varies slightly for compatibility with android devices and/or no external mic/volume controls.

Is your budget pretty firm? If you're willing to spend $35 more, you can get the Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro model. SUPER comfortable and they sound pretty great. I was considering the Sennheiser HD598s before I saw these and I couldn't be happier. The soundstage on these is unreal.

Things to consider:
They are 250 ohm, so depending on what you're source is, you may need an amp to really achieve the full potential.

There is a bit of emphasis on treble/bass. Not like overwhelming/muddy Beats by Dre bass, but it is very prominent. The mids are there, but there is a slight V-shape to the sound signature.

http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-990-Premium-250-Ohm/dp/B00193FT26

Edit: I see that trevorxramage suggested the ATH-M50s. Just my 2 cents: Awesome sounding headphones. I used to own a pair, but they aren't that comfortable. Things get pretty hot after about 45-60 minutes.

OP said specifically that they were not looking for ear buds or in-ears....

I like my ATH-M50s well enough. can be had pretty regularly for $100 (monitor slickdeals.net for deals). 

they sound good and I wear them for ~4 hours every night.  However, they do get sort of hot after a while due to the closed-back design. 

Given that I use them exclusively at home, I may be switching to an open-back design in the future.  However, since you intend to use yours at work, you'll get better isolation from closed-back cans.

I won't be using them outside at all. I will only use them at my desk. The workplace is pretty quiet, and pretty much everyone is listening to their own headphones all day.

I'll check out the ATH-M50s and the other recommendations here. I'd probably go up to $135, but not anything over that.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

http://store.sony.com/professional-studio-headphones-zid27-MDR7506/cat-27-catid-All-Headphones-Earbuds

These were my favorite headphones for like 3 years straight. super comfortable, loud, and good quality. the only downside is they have little to no noise cancelling. once you get up to a certain volume other people around you will start to hear it. but I guess that goes with many headphones. and if you're just using them in the workplace you probably wont have them "up to eleven," anyways.

Anyone know the difference between the ATH-M50 and the ATH-M50X?

you can probably look up all of the gory details online, but it looks like the main difference is a detachable cable and upgraded pads.   which is pretty cool given that you previously had to choose between a straight or coiled cable (coiled FTW), but ithey are also mods that you could have done to regular old ATH-M50s from some sellers anyway.

Are you going to be using them outside/portable?  Then a sealed headphone like the M50 or similar closed-back cans are your best bet.

If you're going to be using this indoors/in a fixed place then my recommendation goes to the AKG K240s

Personally, I would go the opposite route.

my main concern with closed back versus open back headphones in a work environment is sound leakage. my neighbors probably don't want to listen to whatever I'm playing.

And then on the other hand, I like open back headphones when I am out and about because I like to be able to hear a little bit of what's going on around me so I don't die or whatever when crossing the street.

I love my sennheiser hd 558's. you can get them on amazon for $135 shipped. right now there's also a pair or two of the Sennheiser 598's from amazon warehouse for $103. Personally I'd jump on that deal. They are openback headphones, but both of these sound amazing and are very comfortable.

I have had the Sennhesier HD-280 PRO's for about 6 or 7 years now and i think they are great.

The sound Quality is really Flat, which is what i look for in headphones, gives you a true idea as to what you are listening too.

As for how comfy they are, i think they are fine, I mean after like 3 hours they start to get annoying, but i imagine any headphone would

be like that.

I use them for all my music listening and recording, as well as gaming that i do.

I bought these while I was in Afghanistan. They are amazing, monitor quality HP and they are very comfortable for long wear. They also survived Afghanistan like a champ, so they are very durable. I love to use them when just casually listening, mixing music, and playing vinyl.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50WH-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B007GC4L7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395360863&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+ath-m50+white