The Unofficial Punk Rock Appreciation Thread

I cut my teeth on the mid 90's Boston scene. The Showcase Showdown are one of the best bands ever.

So damn true. I have almost all of their 7"s, haven't run into any LPs at the record store yet though. Crass is awesome. They really opened up what was possible to do in punk lyrically and sonicly. They are on an entirely different level, and they really helped develop anarchism as a staple in the music- dammit they're so good. Speaking of Crass, how many Flux of Pink Indians fans do we have here? They kill it too.

and just to throw a wrench in the gears a little, how about Ghost Mice? Love all the Plan-It-X stuff.

You may very well have already explored this avenue...but Recess records was doing a thing a while back where you could buy lots of randomish test presses.  The higher cost tiers let you request specific records.  Couldn't hurt to shoot Todd an email.

My girlfriend got me this FYP - Five Year Plan test press and made a custom cover for it.

1509326_10201651741881564_610431176_n.jp

Yeah, I picked up a couple of tests from Todd, but he doesn't have any of the Finish Your Popcorn tests left. He said if he found one he'd let me know. My FYP collection is 20 years in the making and I'm so close to completion.

Okay here's two more.  

Subhumans (never listened to the Canadian Subhumans, but the UK guys are one of my favorites)

Great music and lyrics, they too really branched out what can be done in punk rock, nobody plays guitar like Bruce and no one uses the same effects in punk like he does. The solos and lead stuff he dreams up is unbelievable. These guys are a match made in heaven hell. And they let me sing the first verse of a song a couple years ago when I saw them.

World/ Inferno Friendship Society

Everything about these guys is so unique. With more youthful spirit than most bands with members half their age, they fuck everything up. What they write about is original, the sound is never the same thing twice and they end some shows by parading the whole band and audience out into the street spitting fire and coated in red wine. What's not to like?

Some bands have already been mentioned, but here are a few others I grew up listening to besides the usual suspects that we all know about.

• The Accused
  • Angry Samoans
  • Agnostic Front
  • Big Black
  • Bl'ast
  • Capitalist Casualties
  • Crucifix
  • Crumbsuckers
  • Cryptic Slaughter
  • Dag Nasty
  • Discharge
  • Disrupt
  • Ensign
  • The Exploited
  • Flipper
  • Gang Green
  • GBH
  • Hogan's Heroes
  • Lemonheads
  • MDC
  • Meatmen
  • Nausea
  • Negative Approach
  • Nora
  • Samhain
  • Slapshot
  • Spazz
  • Striking Distance
  • Suicidal Tendencies
  • Token Entry
  • Verbal Assault
  • Verbal Abuse
  • Youth Brigade

I could list more, but you get the point.

Subhumans are another good one.

I've got the Subhumans Live in a Dive 2xLP that I've been meaning to listen to. I played Side A right when I got it and then had to go do something, never got around to finishing it... man, even when that LP was recorded, they were great live!

Some bands have already been mentioned, but here are a few others I grew up listening to besides the usual suspects that we all know about.

• Suicidal Tendencies
  • Youth Brigade

I could list more, but you get the point.

I can't really get into Suicidal Tendencies after their first record. Some of their stuff is just plain dumb, but I guess that's punk rock, huh. I love "I Shot the Devil."

Youth Brigade really kicks ass. I kinda forgot about them until I heard them on the radio in Grand Theft Auto 5 - I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Sound and Fury, but the price on the import at my local store is too steep. Oh well.

I've got the Subhumans Live in a Dive 2xLP that I've been meaning to listen to. I played Side A right when I got it and then had to go do something, never got around to finishing it... man, even when that LP was recorded, they were great live!

I can't really get into Suicidal Tendencies after their first record. Some of their stuff is just plain dumb, but I guess that's punk rock, huh. I love "I Shot the Devil."

Youth Brigade really kicks ass. I kinda forgot about them until I heard them on the radio in Grand Theft Auto 5 - I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Sound and Fury, but the price on the import at my local store is too steep. Oh well.

There was a DC Youth Brigade as well. They were good too

That record is damn good. I've been meaning to pick it up forever.

Just gonna throw out some shit that people haven't mentioned yet!

Forgotten Rebels ( Canadian. For people who like to pogo, 77'. start with "in love with the system" or "this aint hollywood")

Toy Dolls (No explanation needed)

A//Political (Anarcho crust)

Complete Control (mid 00's street punk from Austin. LP : Reaction)

Angelic Upstarts (Duh)

AND HOW HAS FEAR BEEN LEFT OUT OF THIS CONVERSATION FOR 5 PAGES?!

I love how John Belushi got that to happen by telling the producers that FEAR was a pop group.

Off topic, but I saw OFF! at Irving Plaza in New York a few years ago and Kieth talked about how the last time he played there it was with the Circle Jerks and John Belushi was in the audience. He introduced the next song as being for John.

Propagandhi is one of the best things to ever happen. 

I guess they don't like this record that much, but I think it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1E8bXC6Ao

They wouldn't play any songs from it when I saw them last month ... until we begged them to come out for an encore, and they played five or six from How to Clean Everything. It was a really cool show.

i just feel like everyone in this thread needs to just get up and pogo

Only after we get tanked of course :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SG5VdBXBgo

This thread makes me extremely nostalgic about all my old attire :( RIP you cone studded leather that was graffitied with paint marker'd D-Beat band logos (also had a sweet I <3 D-Beat pin too,) RIP every studded and patched denim vest I owned, RIP bleached spotted jeans, RIP "Joey Ramone" skinnies I ordered from AYP, RIP bullet belt that I stepped on and went deep into my big toe :'( RIP patched zip up black hoodie with the English Dogs patch sewn across the top of the hood </3

Makes me miss all the local bands I grew up listening to....Brazen Rogues, 9 Shocks Terror, and Chaotic Alliance. 

Also some of my favorite shows I saw in this time were Subhumans w/ 9 Shocks and SS Kaliert w/ Chaotic Alliance, it's probably been ages since I've seen a good tr00 punk band..... because I will say shortly after I turned 14 or 15 Punkcore became Warped Tour material and everyone became poseurs :P

PS the dude from FEAR has an amazing voice, I forget which documentary it was in.... but he has a very Barry White-esque gospelly blues voice, angelic to say the least.