I got burned at the This Will Destroy You show recently, vinyl-wise...

So I'm at the show and I see Tunnel Blanket on sale for 25 dollars. Steep, for sure, so I ask the merch guy what pressing/color it is and he said "Clear with black haze", which sounded awesome and probably worth the $25.

Well I take it home and open it... it's just on plain black vinyl. And then I look and see it from 15-20 dollars all over the place online.

I feel really ripped off in two different ways. Is there anything you guys think I can do about this or did I just get screwed and that's that...?

if it makes you feel better, pretty sure black is first pressing. clear w/ black haze is not.

Makes me feel the same way...

• Lowest: $12.50
  • Median: $16.49
  • Highest: $18.49

On discogs.

25 dollars? That's highway robbery. Especially when they mislead people. If they didn't know for sure they should have said that :(

black is first press. i have that too.

is the band getting a cut from those discogs sales? at least you know the band is getting a cut from the merch desk. factor in shipping, and $25 isnt far off what you'd have to pay on discogs...

but yes, they shouldve been aware of the colour....

I always buy records at shows to support the band.

It's just a bummer when you are told you're getting something and it ends up being something different.

I don't know, Shlebs, wanted to know if this happened to anyone else and they were able to swap it or something. It's doubtful but I had to ask.

From what it sounds like, you weren't buying it to support the band, because if that was the case you wouldn't have minded paying a couple extra bucks (which, by the way, isn't "highway robbery"). It sounds like you knew the aftermarket value of the clear w/ haze was more and wanted to get a deal on it, which you didn't.

But anyway,

you got screwed and that's that

You're speculating quite a bit and attacking me, not quite sure why. I'm simply asking a question.

I didn't know that variant was "worth more", I wasn't planning on re-selling. I just like to have variants that look cool, to me, whenever possible. I never said I wasn't going to buy the LP if I knew it was Black... but honestly, I may have held off at the price-point because it was a little expensive for an LP that's not out of print. 

I would email the band and demand they refund your money plus compensate you for return shipping or else you will rally a Tumblr revolt and have people boycott their shows. You are owed the variant you were promised.

So I'm at the show and I see Tunnel Blanket on sale for 25 dollars. Steep, for sure, so I ask the merch guy what pressing/color it is and he said "Clear with black haze", which sounded awesome and probably worth the $25.

Well I take it home and open it... it's just on plain black vinyl. And then I look and see it from 15-20 dollars all over the place online.

I feel really ripped off in two different ways. Is there anything you guys think I can do about this or did I just get screwed and that's that...?

I hate threads like this. You paid $25 directly from the band so don't expect them to say it for current used Discogs prices. You buy the record direct to support them, feed them, get some gas in a van etc etc. You didn't get "ripped off". 

Yea even at $18 + MM shipping would be roughly $22.50 it sucks it happened, but I've had things happen to me with warped records, wrong variants, etc. being sent to my house :/

The only time I've been pissed is the mercy dude from TSSF trying to sell my girl the non-tour variant of their LP after she asked for it. Thought it could of been he didn't hear her correctly, his reaction to me was kind of shady so it still erk'd my gherkin :P

but yea that stinks and nothing you can do about it :/

You're speculating quite a bit and attacking me, not quite sure why. I'm simply asking a question.

I didn't know that variant was "worth more", I wasn't planning on re-selling. I just like to have variants that look cool, to me, whenever possible. I never said I wasn't going to buy the LP if I knew it was Black... but honestly, I may have held off at the price-point because it was a little expensive for an LP that's not out of print.

Ummm, it's the first press. How could there be second, third presses if the first isn't out of print?

Often clubs/venues will take a cut of the merch desk. Which means for a band to not lose money by selling merch, they have to raise prices. Give yourself a pat on the back. No wait, get your butler to give you a pat on the back. Because you just helped a band you like to buy gas to get to their next show.

Quit being a douche, listen to the record. That has the music you wanted to buy on it. And stop making ludacris threads.

Yeah he just wanted an explanation, but seems like he still feels strongly about 25$ being a ripoff for the record, which again for the reasons mentioned above (band's cut / support, gas, venue, immediately getting the record instead of ordering it online) doesn't make sense. Especially for a 5$ difference.

No reason to flame anyone, but I think unless the merch guy purposely wronged him on the colour, there's really nothing to talk about. And hey, kudos for saving the planet on carbon emissions!!  :D

Yeah he just wanted an explanation, but seems like he still feels strongly about 25$ being a ripoff for the record, which again for the reasons mentioned above (band's cut / support, gas, venue, immediately getting the record instead of ordering it online) doesn't make sense. Especially for a 5$ difference.

No reason to flame anyone, but I think unless the merch guy purposely wronged him on the colour, there's really nothing to talk about. And hey, kudos for saving the planet on carbon emissions!! :D

Yea spot on, kudos

While I can certainly understand your frustration, paying 25 bucks for an LP is unfortunately par for the course. My hopes are still to get a slight price break from getting it direct but those days are most likely over. My opinion, a record is worth what you bought it for. Unless you're looking to flip it there should be no issue. Yea it sucks you were told the wrong color but if you didn't own it, it's a first press, and you supported a band you enjoy, again, there should be no issue. If you're really that butt hurt about it, tweet to them, write on their facebook, or email them. Again, unless you're going to flip, it really shouldn't be a big deal. 

As a coloured vinyl fanatic, I know for sure I would be bummed if I was led to believe I had bought a different copy. I personally always try to get a limited edition and would be bummed to have a regular black copy if I knew there was an awesome coloured variant out there. Might be slightly unreasonable but to me, as much as vinyl is about the band and the music they make,  it's also about the whole package. The band/label obviously cared enough to have variants that coincide with the cover or the mood of the album so you also care enough to get the version that they intended to have for their fans.

Then again, it's understandably a human error though and I'd just contact the band to let them know so they could prevent situations like that from happening in the future. I think anyone in the merch area should be aware of what they're selling at least. No offence to the merch dealer but it's slightly disappointing if you're dealing with someone who doesn't really know what they're doing.

I am interested though - how did you get the prices from Discogs? I haven't been able to reach it for a few days now, seems to be offline.