[PO] Planning For Burial : Desideratum

New Jersey gloom band Planning For Burial will release its first full-length in almost four years this May on SF-based dark music label The Flenser. Titled Desideratum, this album is the band’s first full-length since 2010′s cult hit Leaving (Enemies List).

Simultaneously straddling the line between being completely nostalgic and futurist sounding, Planning For Burial is the product of a single wunderkind taking healthy obsessions with certain influences and filtering them through a droning, gloomy spyglass that evokes only the most concrete blues (the emotion not the music) this side of the gray waters of the Atlantic. While Planning For Burial gets lumped in with the whole wave of “bedroom recording artists” (which is where the project toiled for years until Leaving finally was released), the mastermind behind the project sets himself apart from his peers due in no small part to his background in sound. Planning For Burial’s brand of dark shoegaze/gloomgaze is hard to categorize, but it’s sound contains elements of slowcore, shoegaze, doom, drone, 90′s alt rock, 80′s goth, and black metal, while never being defined by any one of those genres.

Over the course of the last four years, Planning for Burial has been sporadically popping up in live venues (sharing the stage with a wide breadth of musical compatriots from Chelsea Wolfe to Deafheaven while seeming out of place at none) along the east and west coasts and releasing a slew of EPs and splits on various labels. Now, as Planning for Burial gears up to release Desideratum, the band will also perform a series of live shows – tour dates can be found below. PFB commented, “These new songs were designed to be played live, unlike my first album.” He continued, “I was making changes to sequencing/lyrics/arrangement in a live setting over the last three years rather than tinkering with it at home. When I finally made time to record Desideratum, it actuall

Expected to ship on or before May 13th.

LP comes in a heavy jacket with a heavy inner sleeve. CD version comes in a case wrapped jacket with an inner sleeve. CD/LP package can be ordered below.

The Colored edition is Half & Half Oxblood/Swamp Green and is limited to 200 copies.

http://store.theflenser.com/product/planning-for-burial-desideratum-lp-pre-sale

18$ for colored, 16$ for black.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate paying more for the "color" edition of records, but I really enjoy PfB

It used to bug me more than it does now.  It's more expensive to make and I can understand why a label (especially a small one like The Flenser) wouldn't want to eat that extra cost.  I can live with paying an extra dollar or two for a colored variant, however if I start seeing huge price differences I'll just stick with black.

I am all over it soon.

Same here.  Seems like the last couple months have been pummelling my record funds.

Thanks for the info. I sent an email to orders [at] flenser and also sent a message via their website where you leave your message and email, etc. Just want my White Suns!

I had an issue getting in touch with them when they shipped me the wrong LP.  I never did get an email response, but the correct LP showed up after a few emails and maybe a tweet or two.  It was a bit frustrating, but they came through in the end.  Nothing that would stop me from ordering directly from them.

I had an issue getting in touch with them when they shipped me the wrong LP.  I never did get an email response, but the correct LP showed up after a few emails and maybe a tweet or two.  It was a bit frustrating, but they came through in the end.  Nothing that would stop me from ordering directly from them.

I'll give it a little more time before I start taking it more seriously, but thanks for letting me know about that experience man. A little reassurance is always nice.

Yeah, I've had trouble trying to get response from them via e-mail. It was about shipping costs and they never answered my question (or never got my original message?), then missed an opportunity.

Preordered this one, black wax 'cause black is the ultimate color.

BTW, the recent link between Flenser and Enemies List is pretty exciting. Hopefully they'll get enough support and keep reissuing previous EL's titles. Giles Corey and that HaNL tape comes to my mind.

Trying to pull the trigger but I need to get into this album just a bit more

Do you have it already?

Also, if you ever need to contact The Flenser, I found through my struggles contacting Jonathan [at] theflenser [dot] com is the best solution. His email pops up on the bottom of the email of your order, and I got a reply within 15 minutes after try two other email addresses for them.